PS2 N64-Emulation on PS2 - a discussion about a possible structure + release (alpha/beta/test)!

Discussion in 'PS2 Homebrew' started by TnA, Nov 22, 2018.

1. 1,509
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Moving some stuff to various PS2-components will hopefully yield a very good performance!
    The GS itself has quite some capability and moving some executions onto it, would yield a lot of CPU-cycles to be free'd up and less interrupts to "disturb" the emulation.

The same would apply to moving stuff to the VUs, the FPU, and rather TLB-Tricks to set up the Hardware, instead of continous "transfers"... The last thing would not spare RAM, but would decrease latencies caused by interrupts and these are one of the most crucial things, which affect/limit emulation.

But why doesn't it apply to everything else? Weird... Why is Mario's ass not becoming 2 triangles, lol? Really weird...

Even ON LINES?!? Oh dear... That's reeeaaally weird!

Interesting! THX for the reply and info/input!

Even though this reply wasn't for me, THX for the informative reply!

I suppose by Macros you mean "ahead of time" compilation/translation from a (pre-)compiler/toolchain... Not a "just in time" translation of those during runtime!
    (I am quite certain even without looking at it, because you do those Emulator-ports since a while and know that this would cost extra-resources.)

About the unsupported opcodes... I suppose the most efficient way would be either a micro-code on the VU, or an SIMD-Instruction to "bind" at least some "same executions" on multiple registers and addresses together! Maybe even a combination of both!

Algol likes this.
  2. 47
    SniperSnake

SniperSnake Member

Hi ive been trying to get this to work on ps3s a 60gb launch and a 120gb slim. So far all ive managed is getting a white box on the screen thats used for the boxart in the daedalus menu. My question is has anyone gotten this to run on a slim ps2 and any tips for me to get it going on ps3? Ive made a ps2 iso of the daedalus elf and other needed files and ive made a ps2 classics .pkg for ps3 and still not there yet

3. 1,509
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Try to boot it from a (PS3) VMC via a wLE-Image, if that works...!

4. 47
    SniperSnake

SniperSnake Member

5. 1,963
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

From what I remember this is still POC version:
    https://www.psx-place.com/resources/daedalus-x64-ps2-port.883/.
    As you notice it has got problem with SLIM consoles.
    From my test none of them work as it should, mostly leaving user with BSOD.
    Only console that I menaged to get it work was FAT console (SCPH-50004).

You can also try to make an ISO with Daedalus + ROMs and mount it.
    In SYSTEM.CNF you can add:
    Code:
    BOOT2 = cdrom0:\Daedalus.elf;1
    VER = 1.00
    VMODE = PAL

TnA and SniperSnake like this.
  6. 1,509
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Try to use a wLE-Image and do NOT start it through Swap-Magic!
    Swap Magic has a "path-dash-issue" which makes it impossible for some apps to properly access the files within the folder they were started from (hence one of the FMCB-Installers - 1.8b or so - had a fix for that)!

7. 1,963
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

TnA likes this.
  8. 47
    SniperSnake

SniperSnake Member

9. 1,509
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

It might fail to load the resource-files!

A "DynaRec" is spoken "Dyna" and "Rec"... Simple! It's short for "dynamic recompiler", which is used to translate the Sys-calls and opcodes into some which are compatible with the host-platform, instead of "interpreting" the calls all through a software-layer ("Interpreter")!

Btw.: Packing a PS2-ELF into a PKG or ISO is NOT "porting"! ;)

10. 47
    SniperSnake

SniperSnake Member

I dont think thats a issue...

Attached Files:

11. 820
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I don't know much about this emulator. Was it made to run from a CD/DVD? If not, then you can't because the paths on a CD/DVD may be different due to the ISO9660 Level 1 format; the 8+3 filename format will cause directories like "Resources" to become something like "RESOUC~1".

Did you get your SYSTEM.CNF file like that, or did you copy it from somewhere? I'm not sure if it is supposed to have those dashes before and after the "BOOT2", "VER" and "VMODE" parameters.

TnA likes this.
  12. 47
    SniperSnake

SniperSnake Member

Elf files are executable relocatable files and can run from any drive or even a virtual memory cards. The elf may be pointing to a root usb drive to load the other resource files which i also put in place just in case but i get the furthest loading it from a iso off a hdd

13. 967
    Coro

Coro Member

unless you have a backwards compatable ps3, the ps2 emu will not ever see and can never use the usb. and even if you do have one, most ps3 are not bc and will be unable to enjoy.

TnA likes this.
  14. 7,867
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    sp193 is saying that your SYSTEM.CNF shouldn't look like christmas tree. There shouldn't be anything like --- or CODE: , just 3 parameters. I'm really surprised that it load somehow.
    I think you also didn't understood first part of his advice. When you boot elf from ISO, and it is coded to look for other files in ./ there is no chance that it will find directory name Resources. Because LEVEL1 iso allow only 8 characters for folder name, and 8 + 3 for files. You need to recompile it with different folder names, or hex edit at least. That's for ISO.
    As a side note, relocatable executable is something really different .

I think i already said that on some discord to you, ps2netemu also not support anything that use x modules, and/or libsd from ROM. Because it is simply missing those files. I don't know that daedalus need any of that, but if yes.. There will be issue.
    Next thing is that ps2netemu not support USB like Coro said above.
    Good thing to do first is made emu run in pcsx2. Then you gonna know that only issue on PS3 is way of building iso, as anything other work.

TnA likes this.
  15. 967
    Coro

Coro Member

i also pointed him to this post by @Zar. i think he is talking about dynarec in the ps3 retroarch itself.
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/t...isman-webman-mod-ps3-tools.27879/#post-231073

16. 47
    SniperSnake

SniperSnake Member

So i did the default things to do.... Googled it instead of asking questions just to be told to go google it. But let me backtrack for a second... This adventure started as me installing CFW onto my friends 60gb cecha01 launch ps3. Its been a good year or 2 since i have messed with the ps3 scene i just use my exploited launch switch for n64 emulation and casual gaming and ps4 pro and psvr for real gaming. I has heavy into psp ps2 vita and ps3 hacking scenes back in the day have yet to mod my 1.75 fw ps4 cuz i have no intrest in buying a bunch of expensive hdds to fill with ps4 games ill barely ever actually play.

Thus after modding my firends ps3 i wanted to look at whats new and how have the playstation scenes and homebrew have evolved. I seent that n64 emulation had been "dirty" ported to ps2 with a quick pof port of psp daedalus1.1.7. I was like hmm so ps2 snes emulators worked driectly on ps3 with swap magic discs and loading off usb lets see if anyone has even tried the daedalusps2 on ps3. First tried ulaunch elf on 60gbThen from googling converting ps2 homebrew into a iso i found a tut on this site and wala white box on 120gb ps3 slim nothing on 60gb. Converted that n64 ps2 iso to a classics .pkg

17. 820
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    On the PS2, the software determines the device(s) it will support. It must also cater for limitations of the corresponding driver(s).
    Our ELFs are actually static, but that is not the point here. It will surely get loaded into memory and be executed, but will it work properly?

In the case of CD/DVD, CDVDMAN (the module for managing access to CD/DVDs) only supports ISO9660 level 1 (8+3 filename format, in uppercase) and lacks directory functions like dopen(), dread() etc. So if the emulator was not designed to work with CD/DVD, it might not work from there.

@kozarovv also brought up an important point. At least at some point, homebrew software tend to use board-specific modules, like LIBSD, EELOADCNF and all those X-modules. Maybe even FONTM. If said emulator uses any board-specific files, then it will only work on a common PS2 (from SCPH-30000-90000). Not even all models of PS2s...

TnA likes this.
  18. 47
    SniperSnake

SniperSnake Member

I have alot of different hardware to test with and have both a 60gb fat and 120gb slim and if anyone has any new suggestions on what i should try lmk. I dont see myself hex editing files to run in iso lvl 1 format.

Attached Files:

19. 1,509
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

How are you building the ISO (which Tool)?

Your 60GB BC PS3 should be able to access USB, AFAIR!
    1. Use a (pre-built) wLE-ISO and not swap magic...
    2. Try to load daedalus from USB...