Need help reading nand chip with teensy

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by infectedmrstorm, Feb 27, 2020.

1. 9
    infectedmrstorm

infectedmrstorm Forum Noob

Hi, i am having trouble finding information on this and I am new to flashing. I managed to brick my console on a rebug firmware with a bad update. My console is a CECHG03 with a sem-001 motherboard. I bought myself a teensy to help flash my nand chips and unbrick my console. I soldered the pcb board, teensy and 360 clip together plugged it in and tried to read both nands and i get a message saying only 8 bit nands are supported. Exiting. Done. Therefore unable to pull up data. Could this possibly be by not a solid connection with 360 clip will it need feet soldered on or trimmed down for a better connection or poor soldering also as this is a nand console not a nor the console doesn't need to be running? I know the e3 flashers for nor if you bricked your console you have to tristate it to ground to keep the ps3 on but I dont have to do this correct as the teensy is powered by the computer pulling to data from the chip. Finally is it okay to run the teensy on 5 volts I didn't put the 3.3 volt regulator in. Thank you any information on this is greatly appreciated.

Below is a photo of my teensy, first time soldering it's far from perfect. The next photo is that clip i was talking about should i trim it so the clip connects better?

Attached Files:

2. 1,542
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

I would recheck a solder points and make sure they are up to par. What guide are you following? I do believe the board needs to be in a powered but dormant state. It’s been awhile, I need to do a refresher myself. Try following Joonies guide. I think he list all flashers there and also littleballups.

3. 1,542
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Also try to get a better high res pic of the teensy

4. 281
    ElGris

ElGris Member

5. 1,858
    Louay

Louay Senior Member

College Student,GAMING,REPAIRING,XMB Modder
    Home Page:
    i suggest to solder teensy directly to NAND as i did with my NAND & NOR consoles to have them permanently soldered when testing CFWs so if bricks happens i recovery it faster gaining the time of dissambly again and soldering i brick my ps3 around 41 or 42 in CFW creation test hhhh

Squiglemouse and sandungas like this.
  6. 9
    infectedmrstorm

Update I just got the same message by just connecting my teensy to the computer not even touching the nand chip. My guess is I need to remove the solder from everything and resolder like I said flashing and soldering is all new to me. Yes i know my soldering is terrible.

Attached Files:

7. 9
    infectedmrstorm

I was following the guide on psdevwiki https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Teensy++_2.0#Teensy_Solder_Install_Notes_by_Motherboard_Model
    And I was following the tutorial as shown above...

8. 6,956
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Have you tryed to do a ?
    Code:
    NANDway.py COM3 0 info
    Or
    Code:
    NANDway.py COM3 1 info
    I guess this is going to show if there is some problem

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  9. 1,226
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Sorry to say that but your solders are very ugly. You should use flux.

And yes, you must cut/trim the clip in order to avoid some contacts of the plastic shell with the surrounding components of the nand.
    That's an old tutorial I made long time ago in french. Look at pages 11 & 12. It may help you.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MCtIPj5DWRaURqdUJzcmRxaTg/view

ElGris likes this.
  10. 9
    infectedmrstorm

Yes i know ill keep trying. On page 10 what does it say about the tristate i am unable to translate it to english. Do you have to go to vcc to ground and why if we aren't powering on the console. I thought you only need to tristate a bricked nor console as you need it powered on for an e3 flasher...? Please correct my errors. Also Is there any way I can translate the guide? Looks like a great tutorial, also says something about the 360 clip presuming about trimming it down

11. 9
    infectedmrstorm

Also best
    I just got it translated. I don't understand why you run wires from your vcc and ground from the teensy to your motherboard i've seen videos on youtube without it done? Any info on this would be great. Thanks

12. 1,226
    littlebalup

In that tuto I used an exernal power supply to supply the NAND with 3.3V.
    It's a lot more stable than using the 3.3v coming from the teensy (USB + voltage regulator).

Did you converted your teensy to 3.3v? Do you have a voltage regulator?
    I don't know how the psxtools board work but maybe you'll have to make some briges if you want to supply the NAND via the clip.

13. 1,226
    littlebalup

Algol likes this.
  14. 9
    infectedmrstorm

Hi so I managed to damaged the board with my terrible soldering skills re-soldered all the joints then the pins wouldn't go in so need to order new one and no i didnt install a jumper wire. I have got a voltage regulator to 3.3v that was the plan to convert it and just use the usb chord as power? Also reason i am doing this is because on my rebug dex firemware I installed a bad update and it must of corrupted the nand because when you start the ps3 it beeps three times and switches off. Hence why I am trying to read the nands...on to my next question I didn't make a dump before my brick, is it possible to get a good dump from a bricked console? I heard it's harder but still possible editing it through hex editor or getting a lend of a friends console with the same model and motherboard?

My ps3 is cechG03 motherboard sem-001. Also in the process is tristating necessary? I found were it is on my motherboard (sem-001) but I don't understand why I need to do it as I don't need my console on to flash using a teensy unlike the e3 flasher so why would you tristate using a teensy? For a cleaner connection to use external power or ps3 power? i'm getting a little confused about this tristate thing if you have the time to clear that up for me that would be great! Thanks again

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  15. 281
    ElGris

ElGris Member

You need to use the tristate jumper to "open" the NAND and being able to flash it. The 3.3v regulator is only there to supply the teensy. Also, I recommend you to read a many times that tutorial made by littlebalup, it looks very informative and well explained. I didn't use teensy yet, and I know is more complicated that only use the E3, but as Louay said, you should solder every wire from the teensy directly to the nand, so you're sure you aren't having any bad contact with any clip. Since that's the main problem when flashing with E3, and why many others use teensy instead.

Read a lot, and use good lens for doing the solders, and a good amount of flux. Be gentile with every leg of the NAND, and try to make the solder quick, excessive heat could kill the chip.

P/S: Also read this: https://quade.co/2017/ps3-custom-firmware-install/

16. 9
    infectedmrstorm

Thanks for the ongoing supportive replies everyone...
    Also I wouldn't have a clue how to solder it directly from the teensy pin (circle points down both sides) to each pin on the nand chip. Not only would I not no where goes where it also sounds incredibly difficult I could barely solder the header pins on the teensy!... What i found doing with the solder was heating one side of the header pin i am soldering and touch the solder wire with the header pin and then of course after completing one side the final two header pins on the other side broke off. So next time i will use flux and put around the solder tip and board and should drip off the solder.

After that I ended up melting the board with excessive heat like you just stated trying to remove the female header pins. Next board i get i will just put 3.3v regulator and solder directly to the male header pins on the pcb board no quick release connection from male to female or do you recommend keeping the quick connection? or at this point am I overthinking it? Final question is my ps3 recoverable? I'd like to know before buying another teensy. I don't have a backup dump before brick and what if i never get a good dump? but if i do and manage to flash it does it wipe your hard drive (factory reset console) again i'm sorry for all the stupid questions flashing is all new to me

17. 281
    ElGris

ElGris Member

I'm not entirely sure about the flashing process on a NAND, but I think if you can get a good dump, and fix it, then you should be able to use your old data without problems. If you're gonna downgrade or something like that, then the PS3 won't work with your old data. Your data will be there, only if you manage to recover and fix the actual dump. If you can't get a dump with the minimum information to try to repair it, then the PS3 is dead.

If your soldering skills are limited, then try to work with the PCB and the clip, this to avoid damaging one of the NANDs. Because if you damage one of them then there's nothing you can do.

Practice a lot with the solder before starting again.

18. 9
    infectedmrstorm

Thank you for the support again! I'll give you an update when I order another teensy. Also how much do you trim off the edges of the 360 clip so it sits better on the chip? Would you just cut bit by bit every few times and keep trying to get a read off it from the pc. Surely couldn't go overboard and cut too much? like once its sitting flush and lower to the board.

19. 281
    ElGris

ElGris Member

Are you asking this?

4:00

I had this problem when I had to flash a NOR using the E3 flasher, so after doing that I had no problem when trying to read/write the chip.

20. 9
    infectedmrstorm

Hi everyone what's your input on this?
    Unbricking by using a jig dongle is this really possible?