PS3 Need help regarding CECHL04 fat ps3

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Kazama, Jun 12, 2019.

1. 50
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

Hai guys , especially the devs.

I have recently sold my slim non CFW model and now i am going to buy the CECHL04 fat ps3 which is on 4.84 OFW.

Is it a good ps3 ? Can I buy it ?
    Does it give me any problems in future ?

What about backward compatibility ?
    What about CFW ? ( I know I can downgrade using exploit tools but is it safe ? )
    What about power consumption ?
    What about heat issues ?

Please answer my doubts.

2. 178
    jcorrea

jcorrea PSX-Place Supporter

Developer
    Better to buy a slim CFW compatible, because litography is smaller and heat/consumes less than phat. About CFW, you don't need to downgrade it, just install HFW and follow the instructions on this forum.

And also, slims suffers less YLOD.

Edit: CFW install thread:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/p...mpers-v2-0-1-now-install-cfw-from-4-84.23123/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. 5,059
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    The CECHL is one of the worst ones as they are mutants when it comes to PS3 systems. They have a PATA instead of SATA adapter inside making it the slowest system out there for starters. They also have a weird hardware setup that for some unknown reason causes issues making homebrew apps not work correctly. There is not a single benefit of having this model I assure you. It's going to be the biggest pain in your arse that you can't fix. Even @Joonie got rid of his. Get a hackable slim and save yourself some heartache and headaches.

If you want BC you need a CECHA/B model ideally but the CECHC models are semi-BC. But if you get one of those you need to spend the cash to have it delidded and new thermal paste done the the cell and IHS if you want it to last. They are prone to hardware failure unless this is done BEFORE it has even gotten YLOD. If it's already happened then you gotta spend cash for the delid and also a recall and your looking at hundreds of dollars for repair. This must be done professionally or it's gonna happen again and again. But if you do this they will last forever. I have had my CECHB for years and years trouble free but getting mine delidded.

Naked_Snake1995 and jcorrea like this.
  4. 947
    umart666

umart666 Member

even BC/semiBC models are worth it only if you're really,really into ps2 games,and even then i'd first try to get hold of slim or even superslim with HEN and check how the games you want to play are working on it.

5. 50
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

Actually I didn't read the thread replies before buying. Huff...I have bought it and I'm using 4.84 OFW at present.

I am upset after seeing the replies.

Shall I install cfw or use hen ?
    Hoping for good.

6. 178
    jcorrea

Developer
    Install CFW. It's farway better than HEN yet...

7. 10,407
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

use cfw if you can. read carefully the thread about flashing the system. there have been a lot of people who didn't and ended up with bricks.

jcorrea likes this.
  8. 78
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

I have CECHA, CEHCE, CECHL and CECH2000 ps3 models, and CECHL is actually not that bad. The BD drive is definitely on SATA instead of PATA (much narrower cable compared to CECHA/E). Can confirm there's some compatibility issue with webman mod fan control, the system will boot with max fan speed if not shutdown using webman mod menu, other than this everything seems to be working.

As for stability, CECHL uses 65nm CPU and 65nm GPU, much cooler than CECHA/E. Can get system under 65C with under 50% fan speed when playing the last of us. Just disassemble your system, clean everything up and apply new thermal paste. Do the deliding if you can. You need to prevent YLOD before it happens. Any model up to CECH2100 are susceptible to YLOD caused by aging NEC capacitor. There are several threads discussing this problem. This is an easy fix though.

Kazama and ChuckyPlague like this.
  9. 30
    ChuckyPlague

ChuckyPlague PSX-Place Supporter

I have a CHECHL01 and never had problems with it and yeah the BD is sata a 32 pin cable but yes I also have that jet engine fan when turning on which is imo it doesn't bother me.

10. 128
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Somethings to do.

1. Service your console. Open it, clear all the dust, specially system fan, vents etc and use vaccum cleaner or compressed air. You can use anti static wrist band, its pretty cheap to buy.

2. Replace thermal paste with good quality Cooler Master or something good. Only remove IHS if you have the knowledge and expertise, otherwise you will break it. If you know a good mechanic, pay him to do it. Use 90% IPA to remove old thermal paste and to clean MoBo if its really dirty at some points.

3. Reassemble everything. If all is ok. install a CFW. First read all the tutorials and see videos about what to do. A guy called Mr Mario has many such videos on youtube.

4. Install the necessary homebrew and apps. Must install some fan control utility. Webman is recommended. Customize all setting to your needs. As someone has already pointed, CECHL has thing with Webman which makes your console fan starts like Jet engine, ready to take off.

Kazama likes this.
  11. 50
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

Actually I have psn content which I bought on psn store. I need to try dual boot firmware. Can any one tell me how to do that with instructions ?

12. 178
    jcorrea

Developer
  13. 50
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

Thank you

Can I select dual boot firmware instead of cfw after dumping and validating hash.

14. 987
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    STOP CALLING 1ST GEN PS3s PHAT MODELS! THEY ARE NOT PHAT THEY ARE THICC! "PS3 DIET MATTERS" :D

ChuckyPlague and Kazama like this.
  15. 50
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

Sorry for my noon question !
    Can I install dual boot firmware directly on 4.84 OFW or should I first install CFW and then dual boot firmware ?

16. 987
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Unless you are a collector or admire the design,its not really worth getting a L00 model, like many lads stated,this model its even more problematic than the CECHA/B/C/E and G models, i had this model many years ago with the L Shaped board, these models fail mostly because of the NEC capacitors,but they show a faster degradation rate than the CECHA/B/C/E and G models,but even sometimes the problem doesnt come from the NECs alone!

Dont assume just because its a 65nm model it runs cooler and quieter,because really on a PS3 level hardware,it doesnt really matter,ive seen many 90nm running cooler and quieter than a 45nm Slim, and not to mention the poor L00 cooler and heatskins, its the cheapest $h!t ive ever saw (excuse my language,i dont usualy curse), 2 blocks that arent even properly secured on the chassis, i get Sony tried to cut down costs on the hardware,but Mon Dieu thats the worst cooler i ever saw on a PlayStation3,even the Slims have a better design.

The only Phat model to really worth owning are the CECHA/B/C/E models, and even the NON-BC CECHG model if you are a collector,other than that avoid the preceding Phat models at all costs,but even owning a BC Model or a G Model,you will pour money to get it fixed at some point,but once these issues are remedied,they are reliable machines,Sony just put one bad component that isnt reliable and its they´re achilles heel,other than that nothing to point out

My advice,get yourself a 2100 Series Slim, they are CFW Compatible and dont present the issue that the early models have or the 2000 Slim, saves you the stress of having constantly having to worry about.

17. 89
    remlei

remlei Member

if I were to buy one, just avoid any models older than 2100 series, not unless it was really cheap. early slims consumes too much power and generates too much heat, this is what you get if you try to fit a late fat model chips to a slim line casing.

if you can save a few tens of dollars in a slim 3000 series, get that instead, its much cooler (runs dynamic fan control to 50% and the temps are in between 48-52c depending on the game), it consume less power, around 50-60watts compared to old slims which is like 100-110watts (double the power consumption of the recent slims)

for backward compatibility, all ps3 can play ps1 games just fine. ps2 games, just buy a slim ps2 instead.

18. 947
    umart666

umart666 Member

there's numerous reasons why ps3 is better at ps2 games than ps2 itself - main one being DS3.sure you could find logitech wireless action even today (i did) but even in that scenario you're stuck with component at best.in my book ps2 is worth it only of you have really nice 4:3 CRT or you really really want to play on original hardware.in all other scenario you're better off with ps3 or pc emu.

19. 178
    jcorrea

Developer
    No. You need to install HFW first. As you are already on 4.84, you need to install HFW only one time.
    STEPS TO FOLLOW TO INSTALL CFW:
    0. Check your MINVERSION, if it's under 3.56 continue, else, stop here.
    1. Install HFW from recovery.
    2. Dump your flash.
    3. Check your dump with pyPS3Checker.
    4. If everything is right, proceed to flash.
    5. Dump your flash again.
    6. Check your new dump.
    7. If everything is fine, proceed to install CFW ("dual boot", Rebug, ...).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    Kazama likes this.
  20. 5,059
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    The CECHL is infamous for getting RSOD due to crappy NOR flash.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/looking-for-users-with-rsod-on-their-ps3.23279/

And the "PATA is in the optical drive. There is a PATA to SATA adapter so it can connect to the motherboard. This just makes the drive slower with accessing the disc especially dumping them takes longer then newer models.