Need Help with PS3 Slim (USB not working)

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by oceansoul, Oct 19, 2018.

1. 24
    oceansoul

oceansoul Member

Hi
    I buy damaged PS3 working long time with ps3 but i found strange problem with ps3 and controler/joystic cant connect with ps3 cable and wireless ! I try both ports ... Strange thing is that not turn on led on joystic but when i connect hard drive its work but not with joystic try with few cables joystci on another ps3 works well ... Also try to reset joystic but not help !
    Ps3 is model slim cech 2504 datacode 1a

same s in this link from youtube

2. 647
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Broken usb ports im guessing.Otherwise the controller would charge.

You could try taking it apart i guess and find out where your usb ports are hooked up to on the motherboard.

3. 24
    oceansoul

oceansoul Member

yesw i follow that i look but everythings look fine on motherboard hard drive is turned on usb flashed but controler doesnt connect when i pres ps buton 4 leds flashed and turned off after some time also reset on controler but didnt help

its JSD motherboard ...
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/images...tom_view).jpg/603px-JSD-001_(bottom_view).jpg

4. 6,083
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The USB ports have 4 lines
    The 2 lines for data are connected directly to southbridge
    Ground is connected to the shared GND of all the motherboard
    5v i guess is connected to a voltage regulator (one of the small chips soldered in the motherboard)

To me it looks the problem is in the dualshock3, not in the motherboard
    What i would do is to open the dualshock3 and take a look with a magnifyer glass to see if there is some pins of some chip with a shorcut (caused by garbage, dust, some liquid, whatever)
    A more radical solution could be to put the circuit board of the dualshock 3 inside a "bath of alcohol" for some minutes, then use a toothbrush to clean all the pins of the chips

oceansoul likes this.
  5. 647
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

It might just have a dead battery since his wireless controller turned on but didnt connect.To confirm that,he could try charging the white one on a working usb port.

6. 24
    oceansoul

oceansoul Member

Dualshock3 works on another ps3 and battery is good i tested on another friend ps3 and dualshock works without problem i will try this 4 lines but please tell what line is for dualshock connect ?

7. 6,083
    sandungas

What you explained in the first post doesnt makes sense
    You said external USB hdds works, this implyes that the 2 data lines of the USB ports are working, and also the 5v line (and gnd for sure). So if the USB hdd works you are saying all the lines of the USB port works

So check again if a USB hdd works, and explain better you results, because doesnt makes sense

8. 24
    oceansoul

oceansoul Member

I cant see files on hdd when is connect but i sow that is spin and also see led working on hdd and usb stick when is connected on 1 or 2 port on ps3 but nothing happend with dualshock3 original from sony i tested tham on friend ps3 and works fine also try friends controler and cable same thing ... everything is same like on my post up on youtube clip and also its strange to me too ...

9. 6,083
    sandungas

The fact that you see the led lightning on the usb devices (and the hdd spinning) just means the 5v and gnd lines of the USB ports are fine overall
    We dont know if the 5v power is good enought thought

But this is only a part of the requirements... the other part are the data+ and data- lines used to move data back and forth from southbridge <---to---> usb

The way to check the data lines is by verifying you can see the usb device contents in PS3, in main XMB or in a filemanager

But as i mentioned before you need to test this with a very low power USB device (in other words... a usb flash drive)
    Try that and tell us your results

10. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    USB HDD s working but not controller (it also works on another PS3) could it be BT board @sandungas?

11. 6,083
    sandungas

In old PS3 models there was one or two USB hubs either in the motherboard or in the wifi/bt daughterboard
    But for PS3 slim they removed all that USB hubs, if you look at bottom of a PS3 slim motherboard there are 4 very long lines (and very notable because crosses the whole motherboard almost side to side), this lines are the USB data+ and data-
    The 4 lines goes from southbridge to the USB ports (2 lines each USB port), and in the middle they have a couple of tiny SMD components usually named EMI and ESM filters if i remember correctly... dont get scared by the names, are just resistors and capacitors to filter the typical interferences from the devices you connect to USB

That "filters" could have blown out (so the USB data line is cutted)

Another thing that could be happening is the internal circuits inside the southbridge connected to that USB data lines are fryed, this doesnt have solution (only way is replacing southbridge) and if this is what is happening then he is lucky the PS3 is still working. It could look like very unusual but i did read people that had this problem

And the other posibility is the PSU is partially faulty (this is very common)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Walter.C and oceansoul like this.
  12. 24
    oceansoul

oceansoul Member

I just try to found and change EMI and ESM Filters and post it here and try to test if i found another PSU i will posted here when i check all this ...

Also i cant check anything doesnt have xmb just screen connect controller with usb and press ps button as i cant press ps button i stuck to made that work also cant get screen for 3 beeps recover ... but i tru to check all things you post it @sandungas and will post what i have done with this ps3 ... thanks for help

13. 6,083
    sandungas

Ohh, ok, now i understand why you cant make tests with PS3 firmware running, you are stucked in that screen "please connect controller by USB", but you cant pass that screen

Have you tryed to pass that screen with other dualshock3 btw ?, not sure if you mentioned it sorry

--------
    And well... now thinking in it better... if i where you i think the next i would do is to check the USB filters, i made a drawing for you to see where are located:
    [​IMG]
    When i was writing this in my previous message i thought having the filters damaged was not very probable, because are 2 different USB ports, so is almost imposible to damage both ports together
    But... then i thought maybe the previous owner was messing around with an USB device and damaged the filters of one of the USB ports... and after that he though "hmm, im going to try in the other", and BOOM both fryed... so... yes it can happen, not both at the same time, but first one and then the other XD

And the same could have happened inside the southbridge, one of the functions of the filters is to protect the southbridge (incase something weird happens in the USB lines the filters should blowup and this way southbridge is saved from the carnage) but this sometimes doesnt works and the damage bypass the protections
    So dunno, but if the filters are burned it means they did his work, otherway if are not burned is a bad signal because maybe means the problem is inside southbridge :/

The PSU is less probable to be damaged though, the damages in PSU causes a power reduction, but the remaining power is enought for the dualshok, i never did read about a damaged PSU not able to detect the dualshock3

And i guess there could be an additional voltage regulator in between the PSU and the USB ports, i made a list of them and posted in a page in ps3 devwiki but right now im not sure which one is it

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Walter.C and oceansoul like this.
  14. 24
    oceansoul

oceansoul Member

yes i try few controlers and also change few cables all of tham works fine on another ps3 i just check this filleters and found someone with good eye to change tham and will post back here ... thank you for picture of motherboard its same as mine will try this first with filters

sandungas likes this.
  15. 6,083
    sandungas

Take a loupe (magnifier glass) and check well all along the data lines, if there is some cut caused by a hit

And to the fiters, usually this small smd components doesnt have any external change when are burned, but just incase take a look at them to see if are darkened/exploded/carbonized

And also, take a good look at the 4 solder points of the USB metal connector, connect a USB cable outisde and move it up and down (forcing a bit the port) to see if the solder points are "lifted"
    Sometimes it looks the solder points are ok, but when you force them you can see the solder points moving, this means are broken
    This is not very probable to happen in 2 different USB ports thought, breaking the solders in one of the USB ports by pulling from the cable can happen... but 2 times is not much probable

oceansoul likes this.
  16. 24
    oceansoul

oceansoul Member

Just check all things all 2 x 4 pins on usb also GND and whole lines and filters all things are good its look like southbrige is in error and doesnt send rs / tx data and also doesnt power controler too but doesnt no how to get signal to usb when i turn ps3 and doesnt give to controler its so strange ... no ides anymore ...

17. 6,083
    sandungas

Not sure what to do next... other than checking what i said about usb lines and filters again and again just incase
    I think the wifi/bt module is USB too, at least it was in old PS3 FAT models (so i guess in slims is USB too), but i dont remember to see the pinout of southbridge or wifi/bt

And... i guess southbridge have 4 USB ports... 2 for the USB connectors, other for wifi/bt... so it "should" exist one more but right now i dont know which component is connected to it

Edit:
    Hmmm... probably for LAN chip

----------
    If the soutbridge USB internal circuits are really damaged i guess is not going to be much expensive to replace it... is the kind of component that doesnt uses to be damaged, so most repair shops probably have a lot taken from other motherboards

Edit:
    And the southbridge is not "paired" with the motherboard

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018