nes mini

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by stussy, Feb 10, 2017.

1. 130
    stussy

stussy Member

Just grabbed one pretty little machine notice its not as good as the original and emulated but works a treat anyone have one what are your thoughts

2. 7,860
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Don't have one. But do you know you can run Retroarch on it? :)
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/hakchi2-nes-mini-very-simple-pimp-tool.456256/page-139

About NES Mini itself, don't get me wrong here.. No idea why anyone is buying this, really. In that price you can grab true NES with some nice original games collection. At the second hand, there are much MUCH cheaper emulator platforms running nes games than NES Mini, like PSTV or even PS2 or rPi. But this is my opinion.

3. 2,876
    Berion

Berion Developer

@kozarovv
    PSV is not be fitted to emulation anything because of screen scalling. Everything looks like junk on it.
    PS2 also is a bad idea because of lack mapper support and other flaws.
    PS3 is still and probably always be on orphanage stage of emulation even NES.
    RPi is really slow to emulate NES on top of running OS. (...)

@stussy
    (...) And now we have official NES Mini which is... total junk. Proprietary USB, kernel loaded with all stuff into RAM, lack of mapper support and ridiculous short joypad cable. BUT :) It have awesome menu and have sentimental value (well, it's limited and official, it always be worth some money). I can say is most beautiful Linux which I ever seen on such devices. ;p If this would cost ~25$ I buy it without second thought. But when I see prices around 100$ I can only sigh. ;]

If You don't know, it's already hacked.
    https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2

DeViL303 likes this.
  4. 1,626
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Yea I d like to get one, but can't all my loot is tied up in switch preorder, and breath of the wild. Doesn't matter, I have 3 nes and a ton of games that if I get the itch can be hooked up and played at any time. I do like the rpi nes mini that was 3d printed by someone, they even made games for it. Google that shiz

5. 7,860
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    On my 1366X768 32" HD TV everything looks like a junk so PSTV is perfect emustation for me. And like I said before, in that pricing (100$ (!!)) I prefer true NES with a lot of original cartridges.

DeViL303 likes this.
  6. 130
    stussy

stussy Member

Yeah I have already installed a few more games using hackchi didn't no about RetroArch have to look it up I already have nes running on all my platforms the only reason I got this is for the convenience where I can plug it to the TV with a single USB and HDMI straight to TV it's also true about cables being to short but you can buy extra long cable extenders for a extra $10 over all its quite an easy setup nice and portable :)

DeViL303 likes this.
  7. 7,860
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Currently can run a lot of cores from 16 bit era ;).

8. 2,876
    Berion

Berion Developer

Still, it's not good because PSTV output 720p or 1080p resolution, so it's even double rescaled in your case! It's smoothed as hell. And this is the reason why I didn't buy any game on PSV - I have no environment to play games for this system.

I hope that one day someone cleaver make plugin for nearest neighbour algo scalling or just to output PSTV the same resolution as PSV.

And this is one another reason why I don't like this platform: buy this, buy this, and this, and this... This console have price irrational to forcing player making another purchases like cables or joypad.

Well, don't get me wrong, I love the idea of NES Mini but the way how Nintendo made it is disgusting. I would buy this console by this price, even higher IF:
    1. there will be an update feature (I have in mind adding support for new mappers, all official)
    2. there will be standard USB with standard USB joypad stylised on NES/Famicom with proper length
    3. there will be build in e-shop with additional cheap games
    4. there will be a SD card for storing them
    5. there will be official backuping system for storing licenses, games, save's, save states, profile etc.
    Instead we got literally junk which is worst even more than RPi (in emulation).

What I love in this machine is also size, power from TV USB, and menu and scalling by nearest neighbour algorithm.

stussy likes this.
  9. 130
    stussy

stussy Member

Exactly my thought it should of come out with some games and also a little eShop to purchase more games at a decent price then I'm sure it would of even boosted sales a lot more the only reason there selling like hot cakes now I would believe because of hakchi and like you said should of been a standard USB cable for controller
    But I don't have any intentions on buying the extender as the console comes out enough away from TV with the long HDMI and long USB cable :)

Berion likes this.