New PSTV on 3.30 - What to do?

Discussion in 'PlayStation TV (Vita TV)' started by IAmTheDude, Mar 19, 2016.

1. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

Hey all.

Picked one of these up cheap today and have been doing some reading.

Been a long time since I played with Sony stuff, last was my PSPGo (which is still going strong) but please treat me like a noob ;)

I mainly picked it up to play GTA Chinatown on the big screen but looking to get the most out of it.

Its on 3.30 atm and Im a little lost on where to go with it.

I can't seem to signin to PSN, even with using Vitablocker and obviously don't want to update.

Was hoping to:

a) be able to sign in and get my legit PSP/Vita games to it
    b) Use ftp as i want to avoid buying a memory card if I can help it
    c) Go retro with some emus :)

I take it that PSP homemade stuff like GTA1 and GTA2 can't be used on it but purchased PSP games can?

Been reading the tutorials and get an idea of whats what, just looking for a push in the right direction

Any help is much appreciated!!

2. 1,349
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Hey bud welcome, on 3.30 you have a couple of options. You are able to use rejuvenate, the email hack, and ecfw. The latter will allow you to play emulators and backups you have made of your umd games. You will need a psp game that is compatible to your firmware. I know 3.36 is the second best ofw to be on besides 3.30, [MENTION=7]atreyu187[/MENTION] made a very nice guide in the vita section to follow. All hacks involve a base psp game purchased from the store to enable what you are seeking. There is a guide using the eml hack to transfer a purchased game from your pc, in the vita section also. It will also be helpful if you own a ps3 to. [MENTION=3657]pinky[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7]atreyu187[/MENTION] are very knowledgeable when it comes to the vita. Start in the vita section and read the tutorials and if you get stuck post a help needed topic there and I'm sure one of the mods or members will be glad to help you. Good luck

3. 5,702
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Close but no cookie. If you are going to use a PSP CEF with a ready made exploit upgrade to 3.30 as there is no hacks tailored to 3.30 specifically. 3.36 there are a ton and doesn't have folder write restrictions like 3.50+ and it's 3.18 (or 3.20 for PSTV users) is the "golden" firmware as it has a PS1 CEF and the PKG Installer hacks working as well as everything else. Those two were removed after 3.20. And a PS3 is a must at least for initial setup but not really needed after that unless you want new content from PSN. But we no longer MUST buy a game as we can either use PKG Installer to install a PSP DEMO as long as it is 3.20 and lower firmware or use the PS3 to grab and install a DEMO. Petz Saddle Club and Locco Rocco Midnight Carnival are great base games to get your CEF or whatever you may want to install for the Vita/PSTV and best of all it's free. Just check out my guide on installing TNV-11 without a base game. It's fairly well written and easy to follow. My guides are pretty straight forward and covers most of the standard hacks and mods you may want.

4. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

Whew, that's a lot to take in :D

I'll have a blast through those guides and see where I am afterwards!

I've a SuperSlim PS3 which I can boot up, been meaning to attempt to get through some backlog so nows the chance!

Two quick questions:

Would you recommend manually updating to 3.36 then for definite? I don't want to end up missing out by updating too far, fell into that trap a long time ago...

Can I use a USB drive with ROM's on for the Emus? I couldn't seem to find a definite answer on what can be done with the USB bar charging a controller and updating.

Appreciate the help, I forgot how daunting playing with new devices can be especially when used to Android and 360 etc!

5. 11,625
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

one other thing I'd point out is that u should use an older version of open cma/qcma, because sony has black-listed a lot of demos from being transferable. they won't even show up in the list if that's the case. updating to 3.36 would be prudent. [MENTION=7]atreyu187[/MENTION] has a tutorial on here about manually updating, so u should check that out. also, vita update blocker is only to prevent the update nag when using cma. it will never let u log-in to psn. and, ur superslim will work fine with cma btw. the system doesn't need to be hacked. :)

6. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

Managed to get GTA:CTW across to the PTV using the SS PS3 :D

Was a bit fiddly getting the hang of UpdateBlocker, when, where and how to get the connection to the PS3 going without the nag but nailed it now :)

I realized earlier that I wouldn't ever be able to log into PSN with it, forgot that my PSPGo is dual booting and that to go online you have to be on latest FW. Isnt a big deal as most of the stuff Ill be using on the TV is older or PSP, there's nothing Vita'ish Im fussed about trophy wise.

Gonna have a sit down and play tomorrow with the tuts :)

GTA:CTW on a 32' playing with a controller = win for me :)

7. 11,625
    pinky

yeah, the vita can be frustrating at times. the update nag is stored in the ram, so using update blocker afterwards may still result in that nag unless u turn the system completely off flushing the ram. I have update blocker open on my laptop at all times. I then go into the system update via wifi setting to receive the "you're on the latest firmware" error. it always works with cma. ;)

8. 5,702
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I don't suggest going over 3.36 unless there is a MUST have game and even then buy a new PSTV. My system on 3.57 with PSN access using the advanced whitelist still allows all Vita games to boot. The inferior blank dat will not last long and thus PSP/PS1 whitelist gets lost easily. There is no advanced version for it but if someone does figure it out means PS1 bubbles would work.

9. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

Things are going ok so far.

I set VitaUpdateBlocker on my RaspberryPi2 (running as a LAMP on Ubuntu Mate) and thats working great.

Ive got a small 5mb game called Tiny Hawk at 5mb which Im gonna attempt to use as the base game.

Running into issues with the eml camera icon thingy which Im trying to sort through atm!

Haha Im in! - Got the whitelist working as well as now Silent Hill PSX appears from the PS3 :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  10. 11,625
    pinky

5MB is very good if ur gonna make custom bubbles. I personally used Talkman Tokyo which is around 17MB.

11. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

I couldn't find any of the games in the store so am assuming they've been removed for me but noticed Tiny Hawk in my download list. Have no idea where it came from!

Got TNV installed and working, tested with a PSP .cso so thats sorted.

Just trying to get my head around the whole bubble thing at the mo.

Main goal now is to get a version of the original GTA working. Ive got working iso's running on my 360 and an EBOOT which works on the PSP. Trying to figure out how to get it onto the TV now :)

One thing I cant get head around is the TNV folder and INSTALL.ZIP.

A cso will show up and allow me to install but anything else won't. Just tried the GTA EBOOT and it just shows the TNV folder as 650mb ut nothing else, cant install and if I 'play; it it runs Tiny Hawk?

12. 11,625
    pinky

I think I understand ur question. u could either install vita ftp to transfer over the game to the game folder or u could turn it into an iso with eboot2iso (extracts all content from eboot.pbp) and umdgen (turns the content into an iso).

13. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

Got close with eboot2iso/umdgen. It appeared in the list and could play it but it was just a black screen so I think something went wrong with the conversion.

Im struggling to figure out how to get vitaftp installed though. PSP cso and iso show up fine, just anything in an INSTALL.ZIP doesnt.

14. 11,625
    pinky

if u can't get install.zip to work, u can turn homebrew into an iso via the same process. that will at least prove whether something went wrong with ur original conversion. I'd suggest leaving the homebrew as an iso.

15. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

Haha!

I managed to get a FTP app called 'FTP for Vita' and 'VHBL' running!

FTP makes it SO much easier :)

Just transferring the working PSP GTA EBOOT across to see if it runs!

Dammint! transfers across but as soon as it finishes it disappears grrr so close...

16. 11,625
    pinky

there's a bug with vita ftp. remove the extension pbp before transferring. then, rename the eboot to eboot.pbp once it's been transferred.

17. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

Seems I dont have access to the GAME folder through FTP or PSPFiler. I cant make a new folder or delete from there!

I can transfer the EBOOT to root but PSPFiler says it doenst have access to the folder to move it!

18. 11,625
    pinky

create an INSTALL.ZIP in all caps with the directory listing of psp/game/name of homebrew .

19. 25
    IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude Member

Nope, thats how Ive been trying it and nothings getting installed to GAME. Cant get anything happening at the mo bar game cso and iso.

The only thing I got working homebrew wise was FTP for Vita (the rubber duck logo).

Found an iso for VHBL which showed up but BSOD on me when launching :(

Also, I can get an EBOOT file across to the PSP/GAME folder if I remove the extension but then I cannot create a new folder to put it in. PSPFiler says it cant access the folder either.

20. 11,625
    pinky

create the folder with pspfiler.