PS3 New to CFW Scene and 2 Questions (Plugin + HDD Swap)

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by hoyohoo, Feb 14, 2020.

1. 47
    hoyohoo

hoyohoo Member

Hi there, I recently revived a YLOD PS2, Model CECH-C04.
    I successfully updated to a HFW, installed it twice as the tuorial said and flashed the CFW 4.85.1 Rebug lite successfully.
    However, now the fun part begins and I am needing your help.

I am completely new to this scene, I never had a PS3, latest PS I have is the PSP and things seem to work quite different on the PS3 now.

First question is: I tried to install the Plugin PS3XPAD, so I would be able to use my XBOX One Controller, which I use for PC Gaming, also on the PS3. I am trying this, as I do not own a PS3 Controller yet. I have a Clone PS2 Controller with a USB Plug and to my surprise, this thing seems to work on the PS3 too, however it is missing the PS-Button, as it is designed to look and work like a PS2 Controller. And, strangely, R1 and R2 are swapped, aswell as L1 and L2...
    So, back to the plugin thing. I downloaded the Plugin, put it onto a USB Drive and used MultiMAN to copy the mentioned folder to my "Plugins" Folder, as mentioned in the included Tutorial.
    I then copied the line "/dev_hdd0/plugins/ps3xpad/xpad_vsh.sprx" to the "boot_plugins.txt", usind my computer. I had copied the file to my USB Drive, as I couldn't find a way to edit it directly on the PS3 and could not find another way to enable or disable plugins, like it was on the PSP via the recovery menu or the VSH menu.
    So, I copied the edited boot_plugins.txt back to where it belongs and reset the PS3.
    Well, and that is basically it. I am stuck at this step. I cannot use a XBOX One controller in VSH and not in Games. It seems that the plugin is still not active, but I dont know why. Is it, because I don't have a PS3 Controller and cannot use the combination "START+SELECT+R3"? It seems like the PS3 wont recognize button-combinations whatsoever with my fake Controller... Can someone help?

Second question: As you guys might think, 60 Gigs of HDD are waaay too small, given that I now have an unlocked PS3 and homebrew and stuff are quite large.
    So, how do I change the HDD without losing the CFW? I read some threads and they suggest: Just turn off the PS3, swap the HDD and reinstall the CFW via USB Drive.
    But, as mentioned, I am completely new to this scene and I am not even sure, which method of installing the Firmware I have to use here. Do I simply go to recovery menu, then to the most bottom option (I mean it was Software Update or smth like that) and install it? Or is the procedure different this time?
    How do I backup stuff, I already have on the console? Just copy it over using MultiMAN?

This is basically it. Thank you for your time.
    Greetings.

2. 47
    hoyohoo

hoyohoo Member

Ok, the HDD Swap thing is done, I did not have to reinstall the firmware, I dont know why... I just swapped the hdd, and recovered the backup.

But the plugin thing is still going.

3. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

you're probably running a late phat or slim. the xregistry is located on the hdd with those systems, so the system won't know you've swapped the hdd.

4. 3,539
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    These are NAND PS3's, which means the FW is completely stored on 2 NAND flash chips on the MB. Only NOR PS3's will ask for a FW install after changing the HDD as part of the FW is stored on the HDD.

Another model PS3 which will not ask for a FW install after changing the HDD is eMMC 12GB SuperSlims as these are like NANDs and store the FW completely on the eMMC flash chip on the MB and non of it is on the HDD.

5. 47
    hoyohoo

hoyohoo Member

Ok, yes, I have a NAND Model. Didn't know that the FW is stored there. Nice to know :)

So, I am using an original Dualshock3 Controller and now I could use the plugin I guess, the button combinations work now. However, DS3 is, IMHO, far superior to the Xbox Controller. So, why change?

Still, is there an easier way to activate / deactivate plugins, directly from the console itself?