Nintendo switch

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by nCadeRegal, Oct 20, 2016.

1. 1,627
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Well they have finally given a glimpse of what the Nx actually is and I gotta say I'm impressed Nintendo. We all know that we buy a ninty console for the Mario's and Zelda's and unique I.p. s that ninty has, but this time it actually looks like it may be a competitor in the ps4, and xbone market. Got pretty psyched when I saw Skyrim running in the vid. I'm definitely preordering one of these like this weekend. We all remember how hard it was to buy a Wii, and Wii u at launch and for many months after.

So what do you guys think? Has ninty finally made the console we've all been longing for from them? Have they fixed the online portion? I've got my hopes up.

Link:

2. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    Pokemon Go

nCadeRegal and pinky like this.
  3. 909
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

I'm hyped for it. I have not seen any pre-orders but as soon as I do a I am going to order it. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with the Wii and have to stand in line all night just so I can get my hands on a day one console.

I had a feeling this is what Nintendo was going to be doing before the rumors started... but this video blew away all my expectations. It strongly looks like the Switch might be backwards compatible with Wii U titles, if not others consoles/systems too... but I could be wrong at this point.

Well done Nintendo... When I saw the guy on the plane turn the Switch into a screen and start using the joy-con wireless, I said to myself "Wow, this is epic". Plus footage of the New Mario game.... That looked awesome!!!

pinky likes this.
  4. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I hope this is a day one purchase for me. I was impressed, but all the rumors kinda spoiled it for us. I've gone through New Super Mario Bros Wii U so many times that I've memorized where all the star coins/secret exits r. I'm hyped for a new Mario game!

5. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Nope still don't care. They lost me at the GC. I will get one when it falls into my lap for the right price like the Wii-U did.

6. 909
    tthousand

Here is some more information I found here >>https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

7. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

the power of the console doesn't matter to me. I play the wii-u more than any console/portable I own. it's the Nintendo games that have made me a gamer for so long. I only beat one game on the ps3, and I beat maybe two or three games on the 360. no games on the ps4, and I don't own an xbone.

8. 909
    tthousand

And here is some more information I found here > https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/first-look-at-nintendos-new-home-gaming-system

9. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

one of the things I've found impressive about the wii-u is the pro controller. my ps4's ds4 lasts maybe four hours on one battery charge, but the pro controller on the wii-u lasts for like eighty hours on one charge. both use bluetooth. and, this is from a console considered inferior. with my gamecube - I hadn't played it in years, and the batteries still worked with my wavebird. these were rechargeable batteries, but I didn't have to recharge them after that long. that's not the case with the 360.

10. 8,603
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

True, Just using bluetooth doesn't make them the same though, I think the gyros, motion sensors, touchpad , speaker, chat channel (headphone port) and the LED might have a lot to do with the battery life, something has to power that technology. The wii-u pro controller is an old school simple controller in comparison, triggers are not analogue etc, Then take into consideration the size of the wii u controller and the fact it has a 30% bigger battery and it becomes obvious why it lasts longer. It would be a better comparison technology to battery life, to compare it to a DS3 or maybe the PS3 media remote.

You must do some serious button bashing on your PS4 to only get 4hrs out of your DS4, but then not so much button bashing on the Wii-U if you get 80 hours out of a single charge, there is not such a big difference (20x) between my DS4 and my Wii u pro controller, maybe there is an issue with yours?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  11. 214
    TOM1211

TOM1211 Member

It looks like the type of console I would of dreamed of as a kid. Think there is a market for this and has peaked my intrest as Nintendo still not trying to be anyone else. However I don't know if id let my kid take it in a school bag.

12. 7,862
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
  13. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    I do like the idea behind the Swiitch but will it fall victim to the same downfall as the Vita, the time for the handheld is since over as most games can be played on a tablet or phone

14. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    And since it is essentially a handheld also what does this impact on 3DS since it's Nintendo's current handheld?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  15. 2,877
    Berion

Berion Developer

I'm still waiting for normal console like GC. But it's good to know that no more wiilots, two display screens, trackpads, touchpads and any other useless and irritating junk except "The Transformers joypad".

16. 9,626
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Needs phone capabilities. unlocked and not tied to any carrier to be an impact device in the mobile world. .

17. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    I was mentioning mobile devices as apparently they were the reason for the piss poor sales of the PS Vita

18. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

to me, the wii-u pro controller is perfect. it's very comfortable to me, because it's the size of the 360 controller with a d-pad like a playstation controller. the playstation controller would be my controller of choice if it were a little bigger. I've been playing on my retron 5 a lot lately, and the nes/snes controllers feel so tiny. I guess because they were made for kids.

I actually put a larger capacity battery in my wii-u game pad. it's supposed to last about seven hours, but I rarely use the game pad. I don't want to risk breaking it. the battery life is typically what concerns me when it comes to controllers. it's a good thing that I'm near my laptop to charge the controller while playing. I'm afraid of killing the battery since my controller is the special edition one that came with the metal slime ps4. it wouldn't be that big a deal if it were a normal ps4 controller. I've had one wii-u controller die on me due to the longevity of play. it simply wouldn't charge anymore from what I recall. also, I am a Nintendo fanboy at art since I grew up with the NES/SNES.

19. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    you's a youngin' :p for me was Atari, Intellivision & Vectrex. Also had a Sears released Pong system but we won't talk about that :p

playerkp420 likes this.
  20. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I did have an atari and a collecovision, but I'm not sure if that was before or after me getting an NES. growing up back then is y I enjoy retro-style games more than realistic ones.