Nintendo switch

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by nCadeRegal, Oct 20, 2016.

1. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

and, I let u win most of the time. I drugged @bitsbubba , so don't worry. he was passed out on the couch. ;)

in all seriousness, I want a switch so badly. the wii u has gotten me through some hard times (currently), and I'm a Nintendo fan. I need that system. :P

2. 909
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

If you got the Wii U you can get Zelda though! I'm about to go try it out for the first time myself. I'll update everyeon!

pinky likes this.
  3. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

yes, I have it installed to both sysNAND and redNAND. I've been using redNAND for backups, so now I'm starting to install games to sysNAND for use with mocha. I'll probably install coldboot haxchi to mocha. :)

4. 909
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

Zelda is such a cool game. Only played for an hour an half so far... about an hour more than I was planning on playing tonight. Sucks Amazon shipped it so late and I gotta work tomorrow.

5. 619
    self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

What are peoples thoughts on the switch so far? Is it going to last or just another gimmicky machine that will wear thin quickly like the wii / wiiu and have no real good games that make decent use of its features outside of their launch titles like wii sports etc?

95% of the games I've played on wii / wiiu would of been better off on another console with better graphics / frame rates and controllers to be honest.

Makes them a pretty bad investment just to play the latest mario and zelda before selling it and getting a more viable console.

Just looking at the video in the first post looks like they can't even hold a decent frame rate on cartoony games... :'(

6. 1,626
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

I have zelda, 1 2 switch, and super bomberman. They are all awesome games. We played the demo for snipper clips too. I'd recommend that game if you are looking for a challenging couch Co op . Overall I'm very impressed with the device. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 so far. Only reason it's not getting the 10 I'd bc there are almost no games at launch, and all the good ones aren't hitting until the end of the year.

stussy and self_slaughter like this.
  7. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

u lucky bastards. ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    nCadeRegal likes this.
  8. 1,626
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

I preordered it the first day I heard gamestop had em up for preorder @pinky. I was asking for months before they finally started taking preorders for it. What I do is go there or try to go there once a week and put down if I can 50 bucks that way when it does release its either paid or very close to it. It's still the same price, but when you aren't shelling out all that loot at once it's not so pain full. What was painful, was the 79 bucks for the extra set of joycons, then the charging /grip was 29. Super bomber man isn't worth the 49 i spent on it. That should been a 19 dollar game. I'm excited for master blaster here on the 9th for 9 bucks. I loved that game

pinky and tthousand like this.
  9. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I was one of the early adopters of the wii. I didn't get the system at launch, but I kept calling around to get one 'til I found one at toys r us. that system was hacked pretty quickly, so I installed a wiikey in the thing until soft modding was possible. then, I did that. I hope the same happens with the switch. ;)

10. 2,876
    Berion

Berion Developer

It is true that there is no way to export saves outside the console? On NS of course. ;]

11. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

u may have to use something like saviine on the wii u. I backed up all of my saves with system config tool which is compatible with saviine/loadiine. it does suck. hopefully, something like that comes to the switch.

Berion likes this.
  12. 2,876
    Berion

Berion Developer

Ok, thanks. So Nintendo Switch is no interesting me until Nintendo learn the lesson or some smart guys hack it. Sad news. Or maybe it's not that bad, this console is ridiculous overpriced. :|

13. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I don't know for sure if there's a way to export saves. I don't think there is. I saw on temp that hackers say that the os is similar to the 3ds. u can export saves on that system, but the saves r encrypted/tied to the console.. my question is if the micro sd cards r encrypted though.

14. 2,876
    Berion

Berion Developer

Sounds as bad as no export option. I can understand signing saves to user account but for console? What's the reason behind it? :|

15. 8,602
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

They want to discourage people from buying 2 Switches, maybe because they are low on stock! :-p

Berion likes this.
  16. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

they do that on the wii u. the 8000000x is the profile folder on the system. they're tied to the saves. in fact, whenever u try to inject saves with system config tool, it will show the profile number and profile name. they show the serial number of the system as well. games r tied to the console too, so if u brick ur system, all of those games r lost. that's y I haven't done cbhc yet. I own 77 digital games for the console.

17. 2,876
    Berion

Berion Developer

@pinky Lost? So the user cannot sign into Nintendo's online service like on i.e Sony platforms and download them again but on different console? This cannot be true, to stupid, I cannot believe it, maybe I just misunderstand You. ;]

18. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

the games r tied to the console and the profile on the wii u. saves r encrypted on the NAND flash or on the usb drive. if u plug one of their usb drives into a pc, u'll have unallocated memory, so it won't show up. the saves migrate with the game, same as dlc, so u'll know where ur save is located (NAND or usb). most saves r in .bin or .dat format from what I've seen, but they can be anything and named anything since they're encrypted. there's no cloud service on the wii u, and from what I understand, the switch can only connect to the internet via a hotspot (normally). there's an app to get around that on temp though.

19. 619
    self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

They still tying games to the console rather than an account?

That counts me out completely then. Normally buy most consoles at release, sell em a month or two later after playing the launch games and wait 12 months or whatever for more games to come out / prices to drop and buying another one.

Amount of games I lost on the wii / wiiu whenever I decided to grab another console again drove me nuts.

Especially the wii-u after going completely digital on that, paying a fortune for games for the priviledge of being digital (??), thinking it would be fine with the NNID system or whatever they introduced and I'd still have my games when I decided to try them out again.. WRONG. lol

20. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I don't know if that is true of the switch, but it's not bc with the wii u games and peripherals at least. I'm pretty sure games r tied to the wii u console unfortunately. I also spent a fortune on wii u games digitally. system config tool - whenever u dump say a save, it'll be dumped to a folder with ur console's serial number. system config tool is part of the wii u sdk too, so that's what they intended apparently. I don't know if ur vc games r downloadable on the switch, but u can share moneies with ur NNID from the wii u/3ds. I saw that on temp. regardless, I'm buying a switch at some point.