Nintendo's Attempt to Defeat the Wii-U Hack

Discussion in 'Wii-U' started by pinky, Sep 24, 2016.

1. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I read that the new Paper Mario game for the wii-u requires internet access to run. it's apparently an attempt to defeat the wii-u hack. has anyone else heard about this? I'm assuming it requires access to the update servers; otherwise, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

2. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    I think forcing people to be connected to internet to play their games, is just as stupid as selling games that you cant retain an original copy, with disc, manual, and gamecase.

pinky likes this.
  3. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I agree. I read about it on gbatemp. an update is probably incoming. the 5.5.1 hack has been out for a while now, and afaik, Nintendo has yet to release an update. I actually own 2 wii-u's: one is on 5.3.2 spoofed to 5.5.1; the other is on 5.5.1. one holds my backups; the other holds my actual games. I bought all of them digitally since I have a chair in front of the part of my entertainment center where my systems r. well, all but the 360 and the ps4. :-p

4. 897
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

Terminating Terminators
    Seems strange to me seeing as they only have about 2 more games that are planned to be released for the Wii-U life cycle, Paper Mario and Zelda. Like come on Nintendo, a little late with this idea!

I really have no intentions of playing the new Paper Mario, as it seems the story has been going down hill the past couple of releases.

But I do plan on playing the new Zelda, but I plan on playing that on the NX and not the Wii-U.

5. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

same here. I plan on playing the game on the nx (if I can get ahold of one at release). I also need my Mario fix. :D

6. 897
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

Terminating Terminators
    As soon as I get the chance I am pre-ordering the NX. Last time, when the Wii came out, I had to wait in line for like 16 hours or something. And if I wouldn't have done that, it would have been hella hard to get a hold of one of those Wii's for those first couple of years. I remember as soon as the stores would put the out on the shelves they would be gone in minutes.

Also, sounds like a new Mario game is coming to the NX the first year... possibly Metriod as well. If this turns out to be true, the NX might have an incredible first year.

7. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I got the last wii at toys r us a few months (maybe a year) after its release. it was old enough to install bootmii as boot2.

8. 214
    TOM1211

TOM1211 Member

Does this mean the wii u will actually be supported for ever? Lol

9. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

Nintendo claimed they'd still support the system after the nx release. a lot of games don't need the gamepad. kirby and the rainbow paintbrush is really fun with the gamepad though.

10. 214
    TOM1211

TOM1211 Member

That's good to know. I do enjoy abit of Nintendo gaming but if mario does make it to other platforms I don't think I would buy another console as I don't play enough games to purchase the new ones.

11. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Snore.... The Wii officially killed Nintendo for me. I simply love my gamecube but I couldn't do the Wii and honestly I have a Wii-U but I couldn't tell you the firmware it's on. Hell my kid doesn't like it either. If not for Mario Kart it would never see the light of day. It neglected as much as my 360.

UniqueUserName likes this.
  12. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

apparently, what was thought wasn't true. u either don't need internet access or u don't need access to Nintendo's update servers. even if there were a required internet connection to Nintendo's update servers, there hasn't been an update for the system in forever. I can load the game in loadiine just fine, and I'm blocking Nintendo's update servers.

oh, speaking of the wii-u in general, I've now achieved 100% boot rate for the race attack hack. I'm using a wii-u on 5.3.2 spoofed to 5.5.1 btw. anyway, let's hope the same will be achieved for the henkaku hack on the vita/pstv.

13. 2,422
    Berion

Berion Developer

For me HENkaku it's 100% boot/inject accuracy. I have never problems with it (but i started from v5).

14. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'm not sure how the wii-u got to 100% boot accuracy, but if henkaku is anything like the race attack on the wii-u, the reason it's not 100% boot accuracy is due to what's going on in ram at the time of deployment. there's an article about how the wii-u hack works. it's pretty technical, but that's the layman version. I think the henkaku hack is similar.

15. 285
    Phil

Phil Member

I still haven't got round to hacking my wii u. Might give it a bash this weekend

16. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Don't feel bad mine is so old I don't know the firmware. My newest game I have actually played is Mario Kart 8. Have Hyrule Warriors but it is still sealed as my kid hasn't wanted to play it yet I am sure she is gonna want that new Nintendo Switch though since it is finally revealed.

17. 12,373
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

well, there's now a way to play backups off of an hdd, but I'll probably stick with the sd card method. unless there r a lot of files, the sd card method works just fine. plus, usb loading isn't region free. loadiine is. all of my games but Nintendo Land r digital format anyway. plus, 100% boot rate into the homebrew channel. and, I don't believe u can inject virtual console games with usb loading yet since it requires a ticket from the actual wud (wii-u disc). each wud requires a special key. the common key is known which allows u to extract the games, but each game has a unique key as well allowing u to extract them. I made a post with a link to a site that has the wud keys. I think it has the nus download keys as well since u need the encrypted title certificates from the Nintendo servers themselves. it kinda seems like a pain to install one game, but it's doable...