NOR Dump validation issues.

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by Chubs, Oct 8, 2019.

1. 2
    Chubs

Chubs Forum Noob

Hello,

I am new to these forums, but I have been scouring them for information the last week or so. I have tried to initiate HFW / CFW. Here is the information about my setup:

- PS3 Serial Number: --REDACTED-- -CECH-2001A
    - PS# Model Type: PS3 Slim
    - Flash Type: NOR
    - Minimum Firmware Version: 2.70
    - Installed Firmware Version: 4.85 OFW​

I confirmed the Minimum Firmware Version before initiating any steps.

I followed the following guide(s) as a starting point to setup the PS3 HFW:
    - https://www.psx-place.com/threads/4-85-cfw-ps3hen-homebrew-tools-cfw-releases-ps3hen-updates.25913/
    - https://www.psx-place.com/threads/u...-for-4-85-ofw-users.23094/page-64#post-201157
    - It was recommended to install the "PS3UPDAT.PUP" 2 times to ensure it installed successfully (as recommended by some users).
    - I installed it via USB / Normal Boot > System Update > Install Update from USB x2.
    After installing the Hybrid Firmware on the device, I took a dump of my PS3 as a backup using the PS3xploit site:
    After dumping the NOR flash I installed the new flash_485.hex using the flash writer on the PS3xploit site,
    To confirm there was no issues, I took another DUMP (Several times using different USB ports). When validating the dump, I am getting 22 Warning and 21 dangers:
    - https://github.com/littlebalup/PyPS3tools
    - https://github.com/Swizzy/PS3DumpChecker
    - Notes of interest:
    - When dumping NOR, it took over an hour each time (Including my original backup).
    - When validating even the original backup, I am getting tons of validations.
    My Dump Output from PyPS3tools:
    - https://pastebin.com/LnKbyGFH
    - Note: I redacted some of the personal information in this DUMP (Serial Numbers, MAC address, etc)
    Since Cobra is the main simple CFW that is released for 4.85 (and it appears to be a very simple CFW that my kids hopefully wouldn't mess up using DEV tools on accident), I was planning on installing that, however I am hesitant based on the output from my dump.
    I should also mention that my device is acting normal after performing the above steps, it still boots and plays video games just fine.

Can somebody review this and let me know any additional steps I should take, threads I should update with my Dump Output? I tried to read the following guide, but it is very technical:

2. 1,591
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

If you already flashed the hex and rebooted the system you’re okay.
    It’s recommended to validate the dump before rebooting to catch any problem that would brick the system.
    As long as long as you don’t reboot you can flash a different hex to fix the problem.
    You have already flashed the hex then rebooted so if you had anything wrong it would have bricked. I’d go ahead and try installing the CFW. It can’t hurt anything. Let us know how it goes I think it’ll work but if not we can try helping you figure it out. :)

@littlebalup may want to look at your dumb if it’s something he hasn’t seen before.

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  3. 1,196
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Everything looks bad starting at ROS's until the end... It would be very strange if the console work with those results. But it's hard to say more without further investigations.

From where did you get the flash_485.hex?

(I'm feeling you used your initial dump as flash_485.hex...).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  4. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Now this is something I have seen many times...... LMAO :rolling: ... Auto correct strikes again.... lol....:-p

jcorrea, littlebalup and pink1 like this.
  5. 2
    Chubs

Chubs Forum Noob

Talking to my Wife, this was sent back for some work a few times to replace parts under warranty.

I downloaded it from the linked forum above when following the steps.

do you think the fact that it had parts replaced could be causing all these issues, and do you think that I might be safe to install CFW?

6. 1,196
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

No that can't explain. You successfully installed a CFW now?