Noticed this w/ the switch

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by pinky, Mar 13, 2019.

1. 12,264
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

yesterday, I was renaming some xci games when I found groups of games the same size. I then checked nsps of the games. the sizes were all over the place. I believe xci dumps include padding while nsp's don't.

2. 7,626
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You can trim also XCI while dumping.

pinky likes this.
  3. 12,264
    pinky

does trimming xci files make them as small as an nsp? I remember trimming nds games. and, you can do this with xbox 360 games. xgd2 were either 7.05 or 7.29. even games as small as shmup are padded.

I've been dumping every game I own as both nsp and xci. I've read that nsp is superior though. I'm also going to make a backup of my micro sd (400GB). I have 35 games, and i have around 177GB left. ;)

4. 12,264
    pinky

@kozarovv okay, all games as nsp = 160GBs; all games as xci = 200GBs or so without trimming. now I'm dumping updates and dlc. I even bought dlc for games I haven't played yet like breath of the wild or splatoon 2. I've been busy with final fantasy ix. I was playing three or four games at the same time, but that just got confusing. I redownloaded yoshi. I'm not sure how that even got deleted. :)

edit: btw, I bought zelda and all dlc digitally for $15 due to gold coins. that's what I've been doing. I just buy a game (hopefully on sale), then use the $3 rebate for each game.

5. 12,264
    pinky

thought I'd post this here, 'cause I find it sorta amusing, but why does both dkc tropical freeze and new super mario bros. deluxe say to press L and R on the title screen, when all you have to do is push A like on the wii u? lol

edit: I may have been mistaken, 'cause dkc doesn't start with A. I could've sworn I pressed that last time.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  6. 12,264
    pinky

I noticed something new. I know that the latest update for mortal kombat xi on the switch is 1.10. well, I was on 1.09, so I downloaded the update. these updates are huge (i.e. 15-20GBs, nearly 3 times the size of the base game). anyway, I had only 5.9GBs of space left on my micro sd card. I downloaded the update from the eshop, and it didn't present an error about insufficient space. what it did was download the update to internal flash, delete the previous update from the sd card, then move the update on to the micro sd card. it now shows 5GBs even on the card, and the internal flash is nearly empty. it does show 1.10 now. strange that you can't move games yourself from internal flash, when the system can do this by default.

7. 12,264
    pinky

speaking of mortal kombat 11, I've learned that the switch will automatically delete the largest game or at least one of the larger ones if you're about to run out of space, and it won't warn you about it. it also won't affect the internal flash at all. in much the same way that you can't move content from the internal flash and back again, the system won't use the internal flash until you redownload the game. after that, the game will be on the micro sd card and the update on the internal flash. the mortal kombat 11 update almost used the entire internal flash. lol anyway, I now know how the internal flash is being used. it's something I've wondered, but the way it does it is kinda cheap.