PS3 Old Fat PS3 came back from the dead - I want to mod it!

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by Gabriel2Silva, Nov 22, 2018.

1. 64
    Gabriel2Silva

Gabriel2Silva Member

So I decided to go tinker with my old phat CECHE01 PS3 that was dead. I replaced its power ribbon cable and now it is working.

System version is something like 4.30 IIRC. No mods, no HAN, it's a legit console that only ran OFW since day one.

I want to CFW it and do all the crazy stuff a FAT BC PS3 can do! Also I want to install the Fan Utility because even though I've repasted it with quality thermal paste it still goes pretty loud even on the XMB.

What do you guys recommend? I don't have a hardware flasher but is it REALLY needed? There is no other way around, even on these old NAND phat systems?

Thanks in advance guys. I'm hyped!

2. 38
    dergamer1212

dergamer1212 Member

Don't update (be under the system ver. 4.83 or you must need a hardware flasher), thats one thing i can say so pls wait for other instructions

T.A.U likes this.
  3. 466
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

XMB UI Editor/Coder, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    T.A.U, pink1 and pinky like this.
  4. 1,871
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

To add to what @dazzaXx posted take your time read and follow the instructions to the letter. This is supper easy to do but a silly mistakes like updating to 4.83 or trying to flash the wrong file have happened form users not reading or not understanding what they were doing.
    Ask questions if you need too, it's way better to ask before a problem than after.

T.A.U, dazzaXx and pinky like this.
  5. 64
    Gabriel2Silva

Gabriel2Silva Member

Hey guys. First problem encountered.

I've read through the thread, felt confident then proceeded to install OFW 4.82. Didn't work: froze at 99% with 8002F14E error. Now it's looping on the update screen everytime I turn on the PS3.

Did some research and apparently this error occurs when there's something wrong with the Blu-ray drive. I've opened the console and discovered that the little lock on the BD ribbon ZIF connector is broken. Apparently this is a pretty common problem online. I have tried all sort of tricks like holding it in place with electrical tape and stuff, nothing worked.

Now I don't know exactly what to do. Found out there's a bunch of "Blu-Ray Drive Bypass (BDB)" firmwares and stuff but there's none for 4.82 OFW, in fact maybe this only works on CFW already?

On this post, user bguerville apparently says it is possible to update 4.82 OFW without a working Blu-Ray drive, but no dev ever bothered with it.

I'm lost, but I think there's still some hope. Thanks for the support!

6. 648
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

You just need to connect the brd otherwise it will loop.

7. 64
    Gabriel2Silva

Gabriel2Silva Member

I've tried connecting it. In fact I've spent the last 4 to 5 hours doing it. Sometimes I think the ribbon is definitely 100% connected and the error appears again. Makes me think either the drive itself (or the logic board) are dead. It doesn't read any disks anyway, even though it makes noise (bad noise for a disc drive I would say though).

8. 648
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

It doesnt need to read discs,the ps3 just needs to be able to turn its blue led on to indicate that a disc is inside.Just put a blank dvd into it and see if the blue light can turn on

9. 64
    Gabriel2Silva

Gabriel2Silva Member

Blue LED turns on and blinks normally when eject is pressed. Still halts at 99% with 8002F14E error.

10. 648
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Odd.Thats all i needed on mine.Try updating with the blue led on and see if that helps.Your brd isnt broke by the way,if your blue led turns on while the disk is in there.Also if the board wasnt connected to the drd,it wouldnt turn blue to begin with.Its your laser thats most likely broken.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  11. 64
    Gabriel2Silva

Gabriel2Silva Member

Do you know what exactly triggers the blue LED inside of the BD unit?

It's not like I can just feed a disc into the drive unfortunately. It isn't working properly so it doesn't "suck" for discs when you insert one. It isn't completely dead though, as it makes noises and all. It had a disc stuck inside from long ago, I ejected him the first time I managed to make the blue LED turn on, but I think that maybe the ribbon cable got loose DURING the installation so it halted at 99% like always.

I need to trigger the blue LED, but I don't know exactly what makes it turn on. If it is a mechanism inside of the BD or whatever. This way I can force the LED ON (even if I have to manually insert a disc by opening the drive lol) and I can guide myself to see if the cable is properly inserted or not.

12. 648
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Theres a way.There should be like a switch somewhere inside that triggers it that one of the gears presses on.If you took your brd cover off you should be able to find it.

13. 64
    Gabriel2Silva

Gabriel2Silva Member

Thank you for your help. I finally did it! Can't even believe it honestly after 6+ hours of repeatedly testing it.

Opened the entire BD unit and literally powered the PS3 with the disc exposed sitting into the little rotor thing. It turned on with the blue LED powered on and updated succesfully! Now I'm on XMB with 4.82 OFW. Guess I can proceed with CFWing?

Thing is, I think I need a noBD CFW since my Blu-ray drive is busted. I have absolutely no experience with this and I'm afraid of flashing stuff mainly because of this goddamn error I miraculously defeated for now. Help!

Bloodmoons366466 likes this.
  14. 648
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

No you dont since you just bypassed the update with the blue light trick.You can do the same thing for other cfws aswell.

As for cfw,what id sudjest is finding out if your fat is a nand or nor model.If you want i can further help you in a pm or you can find the rest on a youtube video.Either way you should be fine now.

Gabriel2Silva likes this.
  15. 648
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Actually you posted your model already.You have a CECHE01 if that is correct.Its a nand.