PS2 One final WinHiip / HDD Related question...

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by SoloNoco, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Hey this is my second post, I just have one final question about WinHiip & PS2 HDD related things.

So I have a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, which I use on a softmodded (FMCB) SCPH-50003 model PS2, with a Gamestar Sata Network Adapter.

Recently I got this 1TB HDD, formatted it all correctly (48Bit) although I did it with WinHiip (I've heard recently, not to do that, but every tutorial I watched before hand said WinHiip x1000 so I did, my mistake? Idk.)

Anyway I've come to notice that not all of the drive is accessible.

Before formatting, my Mac read it as 999GB & I think Windows read it a little different, but not that far off, maybe minus a couple of gig.

However WinHiip reads it as 931GB, so I'm missing almost 70gb of space. (69GB to be exact)

I didn't mind this as much when I was using the ExcelStor 160GB drive, as WinHiip read that as 149GB & I didn't mind losing 11GB, I was cool with it, price of admission kinda deal.

Then I brought another ExcelStor 160GB HDD & again, WinHiip read that as 149GB.

Although now I'm starting to think it all makes sense, and maybe this is normal?

If I divide 1000 by 6, it gives me 166.6 recurring. (so basically how many 160GB's fit into 1000GB)

6 times 11 = 66
    (6 lots of 11GB)

Which is almost exactly what's missing from my 1TB. (66GB // 69GB)

So now I'm thinking it just takes the same percentage of the drive & because my new drive is so big (lol) it just seems more noticeable.

I hope I'm making sense.

Anyway I've heard of alot worse, I read some forums where people said their 1.5tb was showing up as 650GB, so it's not that bad. It's just annoying because I'm so close to having the entire library of games which I like on one drive, & that missing 70GB is like the key to completion.

Also 'I think' I'm right in believing that if I formatted with WLaunch it would have given me a more accurate read of the space available?

Just looking for some clarity really.

I'm almost hoping that there's no way to ever get the full 1TB to show, as I don't want to be tempted to go through the long process of extracting all of the images, formatting and re-installing everything again. This would take me a long time as I'm currently using my aunts old 2009 Mac with a stripped down image of Windows 7 in VMware Fusion, so you can imagine how slow things have already been for me :'(

Anyway thanks for reading all of this, I hope I explained it okay, & I hope this has been posted in the right place, thanks for your time. I hope to hear back from someone. Noco.

2. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

So basically to sum it up, what I'm saying is, with the 160GB it stripped me of 11GB, which roughly equates to 7%

& with the 1TB it stripped me of 70GB, which again is 7%, so if I upgraded to a 2TB (which I know can't be formatted with WinHiip anyway) should I expect it to strip me of 140GB?

Does the HDL image not take a set amount, does it instead allot itself a set percentage of the drive no matter the size? Because with the 3 hardrives I've used it seems to always take 7 percent.

& if I was to format using the WLaunch that I heard about, or with HDLoader (which never seems to work for me it just crashes on the formatting screen for hours with the HDD silent) would there be a way to bypass this 7% allotment, or is using 93% of the HDD always gonna be as good as gets no matter what I software I used to format it with?

Sorry for over explaining, I'm very ocd with this kinda stuff, always feel like I need to give it my all :'( didn't know how to edit a thread so I'm posting it as a reply...

3. 264
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

4. 784
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Other than the interpretation of "1Terabyte", some space will be lost due to internal fragementation (APA partititions can only be allocated in units of 128MB).

Some system partitions will be created. With WinHIIP, it is possible to prevent them from being created, but this will make your disk format non-standard. If you want to use FHDB (or just the Sony HDD Browser), then you absolutely cannot do this.

Algol, SoloNoco, jolek and 1 other person like this.
  5. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

No way. This is a trip...
    So I just plugged my other 2, 1TB drives into my TV which I have all my movies and stuff on (legally ofc... I read the forum rules) & both of them are reporting to have 931.XX of space too, how have I never realised this before?!

Thank you for clearing that up! Still I find it crazy that universally 1TB is believed by many to be 1000GB & really you're getting an entire 7% less, quite a hefty chunk.

Btw I just wanted to say thank you to both of you, for your quick replys & for all of the help in the past. It seems everytime I've needed to troubleshoot something PS2 related, & have been searing the forums, along with JayJay & a bunch of other greats, you've been 2 of the people helping, I just wanted to say, it's not gone unnoticed, & I hope you're both rewarded with your dedication :) the gamer in me thanks you. Aha.

I'm happy with the 931GB now, & the non-standard format seems interesting, but I'm noob as hell & wouldn't like to tempt fate :'(

6. 1,665
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

TnA, Algol and SoloNoco like this.
  7. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Hi Jolek, another legend, thanks for the reply :)

From what I read it seems some (or all?) games can be safely shrunk somewhat?

I heard about this before with people shrinking DVD9 games to DVD5 & I heard it wasn't optimal.

So for this reason I think I'd just leave DVD9 games as they are, as the fragmentation they cause when installing always worrys me, so once they're on the HDD & tested/working I tend to just leave them alone.

Although there's a number of games (like the Eyetoy game listed at the beginning of the forum link) that feel asif they have no business being the size they are.

For instance I've seen games packed into 7Zips that are 700mb, yet after unzipping, it bloats out to a 4.2GB iso. (I ofc don't get games like this I rip my own games legally.. But I've seen them..)

Are these games full of empty filler space to make it a DVD5 image? & if so are these safe to shrink? & also, if so, how do you tell which games are able to be shrunk? Are all games able to go through this process & come out on the other side, still working fine?

Also, I've heard mixed results from people who have removed games & reinstalled them at a later date...

Say for instance I extract 'Die Hard Vendetta' off my HDD (a huge game that feels asif it should be way smaller due to low audio quality & lackluster everything) I put it through the shrink tool & manage to cut 2GB+ of the file away, will I then be able to reinstall this game with WinHiip or HDL Dumb without issue?

Reason I ask is that I read some things where people were saying that installing the same game twice (once after removal) caused partition problems, & they had to format the entire drive if they ever wanted to get that particular game back on there.

Apologies if you've answered this before, it's just I'm not great at this stuff. The language sometimes confuses me, sometimes it's asif the answer is on a forum, but the terminology & language say it a way where I just can't wrap my head around it, so I end up not understanding what it means...

I don't know if I should have opened a new topic but thanks again, sorry for my massive messages :'(

8. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

If you'll decide for upgrading to 2tb, I suggest you this model: http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=drive&did=6245
    You can buy it new for about 30$, and format it with Wlaunchelf.

Those HDD are just perfect on Ps2 (very high speed, silent and low temperature), I'm using it since 3/4 years, never had a problem. Same with the 1tb version I installed on my og Xbox and a friend's Ps2.

Algol and SoloNoco like this.
  9. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Thanks Peppe90 that sounds fantastic, it is going to be one of my next purchases tbh, the final stage.

I was dredding looking for the right one, cause I heard alot of the HDDs listed as compatible are wrong, but if you say it's that good, I'm sold. Very expensive here in the UK though, you say it's $30, cheapest I could find on eBay here was like £70 ($95) probably because it's a 2.5 :'( & I can forget buying from USA, everytime I have recently, custom charges have killed me, I think it's this whole Brexit stuff idk..

Algol likes this.
  10. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

What!? I checked and the price is very high actually. I bought that hdd on ebay (I'm from Italy) 3 or 4 years ago and it wasn't that much. I thought the price would be lower now, maybe the request for these hdd has risen :eek:

Btw I see there are from 70 to 80 euro (there's not the euro button on the pc, so I use the $ :D), it's about the price for a new game, not that much considering that you can fit all your games, even a 700 game's collection into it and play them with faster loading and using all the FMCB/OPL features.

2,5" HDD are more silent and cooler than 3,5" ones (plus they're new, cheaper and you can find them in bigger sizes). However if you use your Ps2 in vertical, you'd need a HDD Mount. I bought this: http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=137

But even a homemaid solution would be enough, like just filling the bay's empty space with rubber or so. They didn't add any charge, the shipment cost was very low. I bought this one too fro them: http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=103

11. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Thanks @Peppe90 that information is insanely helpful.

Yeah I noticed the space issue with the 2.5 HDDs before. I tried one which I took from a PS3.

(Sadly it wasn't compatible, although looking back it might have been how I formatted it at the time).

Anyway it freaked me out seeing such a small drive go into that massive hole.

(Reminded me of a past relationship unfortunately :D).

It would be good to get a smaller HDD though, them old 3.5 drives can get so hot sometimes, you could fry an egg on top of them.

But good looking out on the links for the MaxDiy stuff!

That HDD bracket especially looks great, it always troubles me with how loose the HDDs are when they're inside the console, so that's gonna be a definite buy when I next have some disposable cash. (Broke as Humpty Dumpy at the moment).

You're definitely right about the 2TB drives being worth the money though. I can install 500 games, 100 PS1 games, art, VMCs, man, & the loading times with HDD is also just incredible.

For now, I think I'll save the search term on eBay, and wait like a spider in it's web for someone to put one up for bids, & maybe I can swoop in at half the usual price.

Peppe90 and Tupakaveli like this.
  12. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

If you leave the ps2 horizontal there's no need of the HDD mount with a 2,5" hdd. Only if you use the console in vertical I think is better to use it. That HDD Mount makes the HDD to fit 100% perfectly tight into the Ps2 bay (it can be used for 3,5" HDDs too, even they are a little loose without the mount).

I bought just one of them for the 2,5" HDD. It was perfect as width, but too much deep (about half millimeter), so I had to polish it a little with the emery to perfectly fit into my 39004.

SoloNoco likes this.
  13. 1,351
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Well since the others already gave you all you need to know about that 'issue' (including links), I think I can 'pack' it into one term.

1000^4 / 1024^3 = 931,322574615478515625 (~931.3GB)

;)

SoloNoco likes this.
  14. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

D @Peppe90 I just had this image of you sanding down the mount, like Orlando Bloom in the beginning of the movie 'Kingdom Of Heaven' like one of them medieval blacksmiths :D

Sounds good though man, tbh I have a spare PS3 mount somewhere, so maybe I could bulk that out a little more & use that!

& thank you @TnA ! I don't understand the equation. But seeing that 931.3 at the end sure does make me feel alot better!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

15. 1,351
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Well... Storage-manufacturers usually count in multiples of 1000 to convert between Byte-Units, whereas the usual conversion was with 1024.

1000 (Kilo) * 1000 (Mega) * 1000 (Giga) * 1000 (Tera) = 1,000,000,000,000 (= 1000 square 4 = 1000^4)

1024 (Kibi) * 1024 (Mebi) * 1024 (Gibi) = 1,073,741,824 (= 1024 square 3 = 1024^3)

1,000,000,000,000 divided by 1,073,741,824 equals ~931.3(Gibibyte).

A lot of devices and for example OSs - like Windows - still refer to it as 'Gigabyte' even tho' the 'exclusive binary prefixes' where introduced, because storage-manufacturers 'blurred the line' (using 1000 instead of 1024 to convert between Byte-Units).

So a Gigabyte can be both 1000^3 or 1024^3 Bytes, whereas a Gibibyte can only be 1024^3 (that's why it is referred to as 'exclusive binary prefix')! ;)

SoloNoco likes this.
  16. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

I am indebted to you for the simplification. I understand it a bit better now, but I'll be honest, I passed every subject at school except mathematics, it's always been a subject that's just lost on me. Add that to my terrible understanding of computer language, & your looking at a full fledged retard. :D ahahahaha

I kinda get it though, it's like the language has changed between how different OS's perceive a GB (either Gibi/Giga), & they've kind of kept it simple for mass audiences by keeping it neat round number like 1TB rather than disclosing that the TB they're talking about is actually more like 931GB when taking into account the prefix change? Idk :'(

"I feel like Will Ferrel right now, near the end of Old School when he answers the debate question :D" even though my understanding of it was probably completely wrong :'(

17. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

@TnA can I ask one thing, does a true 1000 Gigabyte drive actually exist then? Because I have 3 different 1TB drives and all of them are 931.XX

I was just wondering if there is a hardrive on the market that is truly 1000 Gigabytes (or super close to that...) or is this something that isn't a thing?

18. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

lol ...a manual rasp should be enough too. And however there are chances my exemplary was not perfect, or my Ps2.

Anyway you dont' need to cut it precisely since the deep doesn't count very much (you're not going to put the Ps2 with the pad/MC ports on the ground…). Only height and width matter and them both are perfect.

The ps3 Mount is a different size. For the Ps2 you actually need a 2,5" to 3,5" Mount. But it must be customized specially for the NA SATA board. For this reason I linked you the maxdiypower one that's made appositely.

But again, if you can leave your ps2 horizontal you don't need it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019