PS2 [Open PS2 Loader] Game Bug Reports

Discussion in 'Open PS2 Loader (OPL)' started by jolek, Jul 28, 2018.

1. 11
    xnnonz

xnnonz Member

I remember trying on both PAL and NTSC game turning on and off check USB game fragemntation and had the same result, If it means something I have SCPH-50004 console

2. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I just tested the NTSC version with OPL 1357 from USB. It works perfectly without any MODE as on internal HDD (IGR and VMC also work, FMVs are also perfect).

jolek likes this.
  3. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Just a thought. Which language you have set on Ps2 configuration, perhaps one that's not present in the game??

It happened to me once to have this problem with Drakan the ancient gates (USA). It has only english and spanish languages if I remember correctly.
    If you have your Ps2 set to a language that's not present in the game (i.e. italian) the game will stuck on BSOD at boot (even from original DVD, it is not a homebrew related problem).
    Just setting the Ps2 to English or Spanish solved.

jolek and Algol like this.
  4. 1,663
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

So I suggest to use another USB device, because everything should be fine:

That is interesting, thanks for sharing it.

Peppe90 likes this.
  5. 7
    Petter

Petter Forum Noob

jolek likes this.
  6. 1,663
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Let me to sum up your results:
    In free time I'll at least try to test Buzz! Junior - Ace Racers, thanks.

Petter likes this.
  7. 337
    Grahf

Grahf Member

I've noticed something which probably isn't really a bug in OPL, but should be mentioned nonetheless.

The UDMA modes, especially UDMA4, can affect framerates negatively. It's easy to check in Virtua Fighter 4 - Evolution. If OPL is set to UDMA4, the beginning of a match can slow down visibly, as if the game was actually loading too fast for PS2. It's really noticeable on Jacky's stage (the one with the helicopter). When I switch to MDMA0, matches start smoothly.

8. 780
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Accurate Reads (Mode 1) was made to solve some of these problems. Particularly when the game needs to read a lot of data, but the developers were not expecting it to all come in so soon. I feel that it's related to how slow the IOP is, that the extra work can block the progress of the important threads for long enough for the user to notice somethign.

Using MWDMA mode 0 doesn't always help. Since we are busy-looping on the DEV9 DMA channel's CHCR, the IOP will never be actually freed up. So what I did for Accurate Reads, was to break up the long transfer into a maximum of 8 sectors, to be completed within a pre-defined timespan. If the reading completes ahead of time, then the thread will sleep for the remainder, which will yield the CPU.

TnA likes this.
  9. 337
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Sure, but most people will only use Mode 1 if a game downright freezes. They might think the performance issues are just the way the game is supposed work. I just thought it's worth mentioning that the high read speeds can actually hit performance (which might be counter-intuitive to some people - they might think faster load speeds mean better performance).

Mode 1 is much better than MDMA0 overall, but VF4EVO wasn't freezing or anything like that. It just specifically chokes with high-speed DMA modes when battles start.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 10:21 AM
  10. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I noticed a similar behavior with Tekken tag, but playing from ETH, depending on the device/PC settings. The frame-rate slowdowns for a moment at the beginning of battles.

I have VF4 Evo into the iHDD, Always played with UDMA4. Maybe this behavior depends on the HW (HDD and NA used), or maybe i didn't noticed it. I'll check.

11. 1,340
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

@Peppe90: It depends on the entire setup! ;)

12. 337
    Grahf

Grahf Member

It will always happen on UDMA4, unless you're using Mode 1. The slowdowns are different from stage to stage. It's the worst on the stage with the helicopter. Mode 1 completely eliminates them, though, and the game works like from the retail discs with it.

I also noticed Mode 1 helped with the frame drops in Suikoden III. They are still there, but UDMA4 without Mode 1 makes them even more severe.

I will probably end up enabling Mode 1 for all games, at least 3D ones. It's clear to me now that PS2 doesn't like when the data is delivered very fast.

13. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

In the case of tekken tag. It happened on Pc depending on firewall settings. The slowdown happened, paradoxically, with firewall completely off. With firewall on (I think I made some exception or so for not stop the connection) all was perfect.
    Maybe disabling the firewall, the reading speed was too high? I didn't think to try enabling MODE 1...

With the Open WRT mini wi-fi all is perfect instead.

Anyway this isn't a problem at all. The slowdown is only for 1/4 of a second at the fights start.

TnA likes this.
  14. 337
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Depends on the person. I hate seeing random slowdowns, especially in games which should work in rock-solid 60 FPS, like Tekken and Virtua Fighter.

Mode 1 would only make the difference for HDD, BTW.

Peppe90 likes this.
  15. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Well, if the change is noticeable. Sure MODE 1 doesn't hurt anything (as far as I remember… Or maybe there was a game that doesn't like MODE 1?? Mmm, I think no)

16. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Done a little test.

Yes the little hiccup is noticeable at the start of battles (in all stages, but easier to spot in some as you said) it is lighter than the Tekken tag one (but as i said it happens only with certain ETH settings with TTT).

I noticed some similar slowdowns when browsing on menu too (i think I already noticed it before, but i didn't mind it).

Enabling one of this options: MODE 1 or MODE 2 or MDMA 0, solve the hiccups in menu but it remains at battles start.

Probably my HDD remains too fast. With MODE 2 the problem seemed leass noticeable, maybe MODE 1+2 or MDMA0+MODE 2 could completely solve on my end too.

17. 337
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Mode 1 should fix it regardless of your HDD's speed because it changes the reading via software. Are you using the official Network Adaptor? Try only Mode 1 with UDMA4. Mode 1 is designed to slow down in UDMA4.

18. 762
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Yes, MODE 1 read 8 sectors per time, btw it can be that when the reading starts it is too fast (data from 8 sectors starts coming faster than how should or something like that).
    Just an idea, I don't know, but MODE 1 doesn't solve on my end.

I'm using the Sony NA with madiypower board, 2tb 2,5" SATA III HDD, Ps2 39004.

I forgot to mention I'm using OPL 1319. But I think it doesn't make difference, MODE 1 behavior have not been changed since then.

TnA likes this.
  19. 337
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Try the latest beta just to make sure.

You're probably right and a SATA III HDD is too fast even with Mode 1. I meant the old HDD type, the one NA was designed for.

Peppe90 likes this.
  20. 1,340
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I think someone already tried adding some initial delays on reads and it did not help, implying it is not the wait-time for the I/O, but something else (possibly threading-issue and affected by different setups).

jolek likes this.