PS2 [Open PS2 Loader] Game Bug Reports

Discussion in 'Open PS2 Loader (OPL)' started by jolek, Jul 28, 2018.

1. 691
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    This is a complicated thing IMO. Depending on the bug, speed alone might not be the problem - but rather, how the threads are allowed to switch (and hence violate critical sections).

An example would be the case of the Disaster Report game. It would only occur if the user was to use a HDD unit, but cannot be made to go away, regardless of how slow you make data transfers. I did try making it ridiculously slow with longer delays, but it did nothing.
    In fact, the bug wasn't related to data transfers at all, but the sound driver was breaking a rule that went along the lines of saying that the the atick function of modmidi and modhsyn should be called, if sound data is removed or added.

The same sound driver module also seemed to have an issue with correctly protecting its critical sections, likely due to the assumption by the developers that the atick thread will always run when the RPC thread does not, not holding.

By right, nobody is supposed to perform timing based on the transfer rate of the CD/DVD drive. So I would deem all these faulty behaviour to be due to game bugs. Unless somebody finds something wrong with OPL itself, but then such a thing would probably have affected all types of devices.

Grahf likes this.
  2. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Game developers often used very weird code on consoles. It only mattered to them if the game worked on a stock system, so now we might have buggy games which nonetheless should be like that to keep full compatibility. Since OPL is a game loader, it should only seek maximum compatibility, but that indeed might entail ensuring support for buggy games. It was similar with PS1. Did you know that Naughty Dogs did something very strange with the SPU registers in Crash Team Racing, even though it wasn't documented by Sony in any way? Now PSIO can't fully support that game because it's something which no PSIO dev even thought about until they saw it in CTR.

In theory, yes, but since this is the only game that seems to exhibit such behaviour and since HDD is much more compatible by definition, doesn't it seem far-fetched to assume it's anything other than speed?

EDIT: jolek provided me the game for testing and I can say that it goes crazy with anything other than Mode 1. It sometimes doesn't even load the first level if Mode 1 isn't enabled. However, the textures are indeed missing. IMHO, HDD is too fast for this game even with Mode 1. Since it's a CD game, perhaps the developers adjusted it for the very slow CD reading speed and that's why it only works via USB, the slowest possible solution in OPL?

EDIT: Seems the only other PS2 game which works only through USB is this: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/open-ps2-loader-game-bug-reports.19401/page-3#post-144669

Notice how it's also a CD game. This can't be a coincidence. It seems HDD is too fast even with Mode 1 for these CD-optimized games.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    sandungas likes this.
  3. 53
    Zarper

Zarper Member

Before r679 this game didn't work on USB either and SMB changed it's behaviour with the same commit. Also earlier revs. were even worse than HDD is now, SMB is still worse than HDD.

4. 1,344
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Can you send me this version via PM?

5. 53
    Zarper

Zarper Member

I had planned to do so either later today or tomorrow. I have lots of different revs. and I just need to make sure I send you the right ones.

jolek likes this.
  6. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

PS2 uses two drives in one. It has a 24x speed CD-ROM (3.6 MB/s) and a 4x speed DVD-ROM (5.28 MB/s). Mode 1 and/or MDMA-0 are great at emulating the DVD-ROM reading speed. However, they are still much faster than the CD-ROM reading speed. I'm sure this is why these two CD games don't work from HDD, but do work from USB. The current speed via USB is very close to the CD-ROM reading speed.

There's no point in looking into those ancient commits. Old OPL had terrible performance issues (like with Onimusha 2). At some point, the performance might have been so bad that these games actually loaded because of it, but there's no point in going back to that. What we need is a compatibility mode for CD games.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    sandungas likes this.
  7. 53
    Zarper

Zarper Member

sp193, would you be able to make a test branch on github with something like mode 7 limiting read speed to CD levels? Just to test the theory.
    Or at least point at the code that would change the mode 1 speed.

8. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

I don't think we should touch Mode 1 as it would most likely break DVD games. However, adding a new mode just for CD is a great idea, especially since one mode is unused now.

9. 53
    Zarper

Zarper Member

I was talking about a test branch, it would have nothing to do with the official master branch. Just something I can compile and test to see the effects.

10. 980
    TnA

TnA Member

Nah... Since we can know if a CD or DVD image is used, a combined mode would work quite fine as well!

The Mode 1 would limit it to 4x-DVD-Speed and 24x-CD-Speed and possibly add a latency for jumps for big sector-jumps...

No need for a duplicate mode...

sandungas likes this.
  11. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Yeah, but it's better to start with a new mode, so that there would be less work need if it helps.

I don't see why it wouldn't, really. It can't be a coincidence that the only games exhibiting such behaviour are on CD. The same thing happens with some PS1 games on PS2 if you set the disc reading speed to fast. Devs really optimized games like mad back then. If they knew it's going to be read from a CD, there might be code which is adjusted specifically for that speed. I think that in the case of Shadow Man we just have a situation where the level is loaded too fast and the game doesn't have time to load the textures.

sandungas likes this.
  12. 53
    Zarper

Zarper Member

Sure, but maybe just whip up the easiest solution just to test if it even makes a difference first.

13. 980
    TnA

TnA Member

Sure, but for a fast test we could also recompile OPL with the read-spead-change applied to Mode 1 simply...

14. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Whatever you guys feel is the best. It doesn't matter that much in the end, as long as this works out.

15. 53
    Zarper

Zarper Member

Works for me. Saw that sp193 linked to the code that does that earlier. But I will have to do some research to actually know what to change it to. If no one else does that I will try when I have the time.

sandungas, jolek and Grahf like this.
  16. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

BTW, what's the current status of Disaster Report/SOS: The Final Escape? I know it works fine with HDL 0.8c, but I'm not sure what sp193 meant in the earlier post. Is it still not compatible with OPL via HDD?

17. 980
    TnA

TnA Member

I thought he wrote a fix for it! Not sure, if it was for internal HDD or rather something like USB or SMB/LAN, tho'...

18. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

It worked from USB and SMB to begin with. It was only crashing from HDD, although it was weird since it worked with HDL 0.8c.

If sp193 wrote a fix for it, it's integrated into the newest beta, right?

I wish we finally compiled all the fixes and squashed as many of the remaining problems as possible for a public 0.9.4 build. All of this is very chaotic with all the commits, special fixes, devices, etc.

EDIT: OK, got it.

19. 980
    TnA

TnA Member

The revisioning is at least not as chaotic as with FMCB/FHDB, with it's multiple re-releases (under the same version-number), which is the ONLY thing I really do not like in @sp193's FMCB/FHDB's-Handling/Policy!:-p

20. 1,344
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

The link to this fix and others is in the 1st post (Recent fixes tab).
    After that version fix has been embedded into Ifcaro OPL.

To be add: