PS2 Open PS2 Loader v0.9.3 2016-09-29

Various OPL 0.9.3 versions without GSM -OPL Development Team (c. Ifcaro & jimmikaelkael)

1. 496
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Yes, but it seems to response. I think the problem is having the iHDD set to Auto. Indeed it start spinning, then after the usual 4 secs the orange light blink, the OPL loading icon freezes a little, then resumes to rotate again in a infinite loop (I need to hard power off the Ps2).

Maybe IGResetting from a POPS game cause a problem similar to the one when IGResetting from some Ps2 games (like Ace Combat 5) that you solved.

I'll do more tests, since I was doing cross tests between OPL_DBS and ifcaro builds for other purposes, I noticed this thing just for a coincidence.

Algol likes this.
  2. 647
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    So are you still having problems with IGR and some games? If not, then this is a POPS problem, which should be corrected by POPStarter.

The IGR feature of POPS works differently, as it is an emulator. It has full control over the PS2.

TnA, Algol, Zero35 and 1 other person like this.
  3. 496
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Indeed I pointed this out on Ps2-Home, since they have the integrated Ps1 page: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7140

Algol likes this.
  4. 62
    Vedita BR

Vedita BR Member

---
    Home Page:
    So far i am having a smoother experience. I had pratically no stuttering in Kingdom Hearts 2' FMVs now.

TnA, sp193, ted209 and 1 other person like this.
  5. 47
    Agrippa

Agrippa Forum Noob

Thanks for the updated kHn version. ;) Too bad the default dark colour scheme from the 4.42d gone away. :(

6. 647
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    • Fixed streaming callback potentially executed with a NULL-pointer, due to the pointer getting changed between function calls.
    • CDVDMAN: consolidated CDVDFSV_BUF_SECTORS and CDVDMAN_FS_SECTORS, for clarity. CDVDMAN_FS_SECTORS is now set to 8 and CDVDFSV will read up to CDVDMAN_FS_SECTORS sectors per chunk. When the buffer is not aligned, then it will use 1 sector for alignment correction. This is higher than previously because I don't know why we only used 7/8 sectors...
    • Added patch for Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
    • padhook: changed Hook_scePad2CreateSocket() to always check and install IGR if SockParam is null (which is optional). This replaces the incomplete patch from 541d270.
    • padhook: do not create padhook thread & interrupt handler in duplicate. Thread will now be installed either at the IOP reboot or when the padhook is triggered, whichever comes first. This will allow the power button to always be used for IGR, even if libpad cannot be located due to the game being protected in some way (i.e. Tekken 5).
    • ISOFS: Fixed iso: being stuck in an opened state, if the file cannot be opened for mounting.

This is starting to sound like the issue with OPL's IGR not erasing memory before loading the ELF...

@krHACKen: Does POPStarter erase memory before loading the ELF with SifLoadElf, during the IGR process? If not, it may result in some undefined behaviour. As you have noted before, SifLoadElf does not seem to erase memory that should be erased.

TnA, Tupakaveli, Grahf and 4 others like this.
  7. 496
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

There's already a test build??

Yes, after IGResetting with POPS, OPL fail to load the games.bin file from the iHDD. I and another guy experienced this.

However the main problem of PS2-HOME DBs is that the Ps1 page has not been correctly integrated with the new function that makes the HDD to spindown when accessing a APP.

If the APP is into the HDD the HDD shouldn't spindown, right??

However when you boot a POPS game from Ps1 page, OPL_DB, doesn't recognize from where POPS is started and make the HDD to spindown. Then POPS make the HDD to spinup again. This is not a healthy thing for the HDD to spin up and down after every POPS IGR (it spindown every time a Ps1 game is booted).

8. 16
    Cosmic-R

Cosmic-R Forum Noob

i've just tested the latest test build and there's an improvement in FMV playback trough SMB for example SLUS_216.78 DBZ budokai tenkaichi 3 with the the previous OPL the bandwith in the intro FMV was about 9.0 Mbps now with the latetst test build is around 11.0 Mbps wich allows this game's FMV to play at full speed.
    however i noticed that for some reason the PS2 LOGO at game boot is corrupted? for some reason second half is black letters in a white background after that everything else seems fine does anyone else has this ?

ted209 likes this.
  9. 16
    Cosmic-R

Cosmic-R Forum Noob

so after further testing not everything is fine, VMC now doesnt save there's simply no network activity but it isnt corrupting the VMC either when the console is in this state IGR wont work, pressing the power/reset button on the console (on a FAT) will just freeze the game and or console i know this because before the button press icon animation in the game is still going until i press the button after that it has to be a hard shutdown by holding the power button.

10. 647
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    From the time that feature was added, the PlayStation 2 logo never got displayed properly on my SCPH-15000. For one reason or another.

I guess, it could be because this earlier PS2's PS2LOGO did not have the buffer aligned to an address aligned to a 64-byte boundary. Due to the alignment correction algorithm, the lower half of the logo is not unscrambled properly (reading is skewed and overlapped).

The write function had some incomplete change, which I have just completed. But I can't and won't test this.
    It should work because the function is the same as the one from the PS2SDK. Well, it's not a copy because I had to manually edit everything, due to the whitespaces also being different.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    TnA, ted209, Zero35 and 1 other person like this.
  11. 62
    Vedita BR

Vedita BR Member

---
    Home Page:
    I've tested new PRs and SMSTCPIP - LWIP patch backports seems to be causing games to get stuck at pink screen ( magenta Before SifInitRpc ? )...
    I've attached 2 OPL versions compiled with and without PR#195
    -----
    IGR is fine now with Splinter Cell franshise' network portion
    -----
    SMB Update working great.
    -----
    And maybe 6d4af30 changes to cdvdfs broke Ratchet & Clank 3/Up Your Arsenal again? It was ok up to d062a18
    -----
    Also, i had problems with VMC, i had to disable it for Tourist Trophy, otherwise console freezes... GTA:SA, Hitman Blood Money VMC tested and theyre okay.

Attached Files:

• OPL.zip
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    TnA, Algol, jolek and 1 other person like this.
  12. 16
    Cosmic-R

Cosmic-R Forum Noob

I've just tested the latest OPL from the build bot its 1343 commit 6836e5e and now it appears that no game loads through SMB dont even get PS2 logo can anyone else confirm ?

jolek likes this.
  13. 62
    Vedita BR

Vedita BR Member

---
    Home Page:
    I also have green screen over SMB and PS2LOGO corrupted in all modes with df70a87

14. 496
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

@sp193

I tested Ridge Racer V from USB with PS2ESDL.

You explained why this game has audio issues from USB and even SMB with OPL, but I can't find the post…

However sure it's not a reading speed problem. Playing the game with PS2ESDL the main menu music is the same as playing with OPL from the iHDD (maybe even a little better), almost perfect.

How it's possible to have so better performance from USB (PS2ESDL) than SMB (OPL)??
    It seems some OPL software limit related to this game in particular.

Algol likes this.
  15. 281
    Grahf

Grahf Member

So confusing!

What do you mean by "a little better" and "almost perfect"? To begin with, it should be perfect from iHDD, just like from the retail disc. Your post suggests it's not right even via iHDD.
    The SMB code is dumpster fire. PS2 was never designed for this. It was a kind of dirty hack that allowed it to work, but it's fundamentally wrong in a few ways and people shouldn't expect it to perform like iHDD, or even USB storage.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  16. 647
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. I only just touched Ridge Racer V recently.

The "low performance" you guys keep bringing up, is caused by the patch we apply to keep the game working. The game is flawed and it was a miracle that it even worked in the first place.
    I do not have a patch that will correct the actual problem that the game has...

The only reason why the patch has not been applied to every method of playing games yet, is because I know people will nitpick, for one reason or another.

SMB support is a dumpster fire, I agree. But not for the same reason.
    The code we always had, was just not of stellar quality. There are too many problems and options to adjust. Without a DTL-T10000, it is also nearly impossible to debug network-related problems, nevermind if you even know where to look.

We have been also working around the Windows TCP congestion avoidance algorithm, by limiting the transfer length to be lower than the TCP receive window. All the weird and undocumented things that were done, all acting like potential landmines to people who try to work on it.

17. 281
    Grahf

Grahf Member

The same thing here, dude. The last time I checked (back on 0.9.2), RRV played perfectly from iHDD. Now I'm reading something about the music not being right even via iHDD. What? The game had no performance issues from iHDD. It played like a dream.
    Seems like the same reason, though. Basically, PS2 wasn't designed for it and the code was created in a messy way.

18. 647
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    But, v0.9.2 is really, really old. We have at least a thousand commits made ever since...
    If you want utmost performance, you need the equipment to tune it and the code has to be designed to work with the peripherals, a concept that we are breaking with OPL.

Performance is a complicated matter, and I alsl dare say that this game was not very well made to begin with. There are many calls to FlushCache. Either because they were trying to fix the cache coherency problem or they had no idea that abusing FlushCache is bad.

19. 281
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Of course, but if any commit had actually broken this game, then it's absurd. High-profile games like this should have priority for fixes and we shouldn't even have commits which cripple game performance.
    RRV was actually praised as one of the best-performing PS2 games on launch. Even to this day, it's impressive that PS2 can handle this game at 60 FPS. Namco did a lot of tuning for it.

20. 496
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I have to test RRV with OPL 0.9.2 'cause I don't remember if it was different.

We already talked about this at least one time… However, with current OPLs playing from iHDD you can hear little hiccups on the main menu music (if you enter the option screen the hiccups completely disappear, meaning some kind of performance problems due to the shape of the girl that come and goes maybe ?? Indeed entering the option menu the music become perfect, re-exiting the hiccups return).

Btw from iHDD is hardly noticeable.

From SMB the hiccup is continuous, making the music raucous. Same thing from USB.

Using PS2ESDL 0.821 the music is almost perfect, more or less as OPL with iHDD. That's all, draw your conclusions :D

Algol likes this.
Tags: