PS3 Opinion About new XMB Mod

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by DigitalMorpheus, Apr 12, 2019.

1. 28
    DigitalMorpheus

DigitalMorpheus Forum Noob

DeViL303 likes this.
  2. 28
    DigitalMorpheus

It is compatible (for now) with normal HAN Mods

Niander466 likes this.
  3. 7,225
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

aldostools likes this.
  4. 6,083
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Be careful when adding links to unofficial stores that allows to download pirated games, if you do in some way you would be affiliating with them and since that point this forum is not going to allow to talk about this tool

ShaolinAssassin likes this.
  5. 721
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

6. 52
    Snubaxis655

Snubaxis655 Forum Noob

Yup for me to first and last arent showing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danxx444 likes this.
  7. 28
    DigitalMorpheus

The Custom Store slots are not meant for stores containing pirated games, are meant for homebrew stores containing homebrew apps

<Query
    class="type:x-xmb/folder-pixmap"
    key="revo_store_slot1"
    src="xmb://localhost/dev_hdd0/game/REVO00001/USRDIR/main.xml#main"
    />
    <Query
    key="revo_store_slot2"
    src="xmb://localhost/dev_hdd0/game/REVO00002/USRDIR/main.xml#main"
    />
    <Query
    key="revo_store_slot3"
    src="xmb://localhost/dev_hdd0/game/REVO00003/USRDIR/main.xml#main"
    />

No link is added to pirated content.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  8. 28
    DigitalMorpheus

The first one is named "Enable Custom Packages" and is under TV Category. It enbales the installation of custom packages on the system (like HAN does).

The Custom Store Slots under PlaystationNetwork Category are meant for developers to develop their stores containing homebrew apps. When you install a compatible homebrew store, it will apear on category PSN Store. Note that developers need to make their own stores compatible with (R)Evolution.

9. 52
    Snubaxis655

Snubaxis655 Forum Noob

Then it should not remove the custom store which users have installed.Its their choice.It removes my custom store rather it should just leave it as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 28
    DigitalMorpheus

Added to the To Do list. Next Release I will add

Snubaxis655 likes this.
  11. 304
    Niander466

Niander466 Member

Nurse
    Home Page:
    Good job, brother !!! awaiting the 2.0 update !!

Danxx444 likes this.
  12. 304
    Niander466

Niander466 Member

Nurse
    Home Page:
    I saw that there is an unstable 2.00 version I installed but it is still at 1.00 what can I do?

Enviado de meu Vibe K5 Plus usando o Tapatalk

Danxx444 likes this.
  13. 28
    DigitalMorpheus

Use 2.00 . The version 1.00 is discontinued because 2.00 has a better and more efficient update system.

Niander466 likes this.
  14. 304
    Niander466

Niander466 Member

Nurse
    Home Page:
    is this what I want to know how to install? because whenever I install it is showing version 1.00.

15. 304
    Niander466

Niander466 Member

Nurse
    Home Page:
    I install update and delete the data but it continues 1.00

16. 28
    DigitalMorpheus

Forgot to increment the version. Fixed! Please update.

Niander466 and DeViL303 like this.
  17. 7,225
    DeViL303

My opinions on this so far aka some constructive criticism.

Custom packages: I'm not sure about putting "Enable custom packages" under that name, is that actually "enabling HAN" or "enabling debug packages" or is this some new hack you have created? If this is an existing patch, Why change the name? I only see that leading to confusion really, as they are ALL custom packages. I see the info line is a copy of the title line but with the word "signed" added so i assume it is enabling HAN.

Enabling HAN actually does more than just allow custom packages to install, it also allows custom licences to be used, and custom act.dat. So labelling it with just "packages" is kind of misleading.

New HAN?: Its also slightly confusing that you say "The new type of HAN!" in the release notes when really its the exact same type of HAN exploit as official HAN as far as i can see? An XMB mod can not really be a new type of HAN, it could be a new type of XMB maybe.

TV category: Each to their own, but I don't see the logic behind using TV category for enabling HAN etc, this option has nothing to do with the TV category and everything to do with the game category.

If you think there is too many items in the OFW game category already to add 1 more like HAN Toolbox, then another option would be to put this inside package manager as its mostly related to packages. Or convert package manager into the ONLY extra item, with all options under that. Maybe its just me, but i am not a fan of putting stuff into random categories.

Restart: I like the restart option in the user category, great spot for it, I have released a similar mod for HAN, also it removed the confirmation on the Turn off option.

The folder icon is out of place for something like that, you could use a restart/shutdown icon which could to be installed with your mod, you can extract the official one or call it directly.

Maybe you could make a pkg that installs resources like extra icons and xmls to dev_blind/vsh/resources/explore/xxx or even just a standard game data pkg could hold extra resources on in dev_hdd0/game/xxxx , just like HAN Toolbox or most other xmb mods.

Homebrew store slots in the PSN category: No homebrew works on HAN, so not sure what these stores will be populated with? Ok we will have your package and HAN Toolbox as "homebrew" but those already have built in updater icons so a store for those is not really required, but maybe there is enough to fill a section, not sure.

Removing existing custom queries: I would recommend trying to stay compatible with all existing mods as much as possible. If every time a new features comes out from other modders, IF it needs to be ported to your version of the XMB, this will lead you to lose lots of users who want the new features as soon as they come out. Whereas if you stay compatible with existing mods, then users can have your updates, and other new XMB mod updates all at once. Just something to consider.

Settings category mods: For me, the game category is better than adding stuff like enable HAN to the settings category. Its just got easier access for something that is used all the time. Also I don't think any settings category mods will be possible on HAN, as it is mostly handled by sprx/self files which can not be modified on OFW/HFW.

The feature list in v1.00: Really it has only added the options to update itself, and remove itself, along with some store slots that are not really especially useful (or being used) unless we can get homebrew working on OFW. Maybe add some more from the to do list as its just moving 2 things really.

• Install Custom Packages (already in HAN Toolbox)
    • Restart PS3 (Already in HAN Toolbox)
    • Update (R)Evolution
    • Uninstall (R)Evolution
    • Custom Store Slots under PlaystationNetwork Category (no homebrew available for HAN)

Version 2.00: What new stuff has 2.00 added? I could not see a changelog or any notes about what was added compared to v1.00

Few notes about the to do list:
    • Mods / Stores Persistent between updates (not sure what this means? any content on HDD will persist between updates already, and nothing can stop a firmware update from wiping out XMB mods as all category xmls get wiped, there is no way to change that really unless you can pack custom PUPs with custom files aka custom firmware)
    • Custom Tool Category with slots for HAN related tools( example HAN Toolbox) (If you mean adding new category that wont be possible on HAN as it requires sprx/self mods, you could modify the TV category to some extent alright, it can even be moved over to the other side of game on OFW with rco mods)
    • Custom XMB Icons (Cool, more custom icons available that match the XMB the better)
    • Download PKG from WebBrowser (We have already done a lot of work on this and almost have it cracked, if you want to join us, and have any suggestions please join us in THIS thread, we have already enabled all file types up to 2GB and can download any file type to dev_blind etc)
    • Improve XMB speed (compared with OFW) (I have already released some stripped down xmls that do this, you could refer to those for ideas as they were heavily modified for users who were having issues on superslims with slow loading XMB, The main system xmls can be reduced from 250kb approx to approx 45kb in total)
    • Custom Emoji (this is another area we have also done a lot of work on, see THIS thread, there might be a release of some tools to make this easier in the future, or if you want to create some tools yourself that is cool, still that thread will help you a lot, the imagefont.bin has been mostly reversed in that thread)
    • New XMB Design (Cool)
    • Modded Comments (Not sure what you mean here as they are already possible if you mean the comment under username in the Friends category)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Niander466 and Danxx444 like this.
  18. 28
    DigitalMorpheus

Thank you for the feedback @DeViL303
    The Enable custom packages is Enable HAN. I have named to that to be more user friendly but by making an requirement analysis I agree with you and I have changed in the next update.
    The new type of HAN! -> Renamed now to The new type of XMB! , because the exploit is the same.
    The TV category is temporary, I'm seeking already alternatives. The Original idea was to add it to Settings Category.
    The inicial idea was to add custom icons to dev_blind, but, when a user uninstalls (R)Evolution the icons will stay on the system. So now, it is being developed a way to make icons upgradable, uninstallable, and customizable. Because of this, (R)Evolution lastest release is still considered unstable.
    We thought it was interesting to have things like emulators and we some theories that we are testing.
    We will consider.
    That is weird. So why category_sysconf.xml exists? I noticed that what changes you do to that file it does not affect XMB. Also, if you delete all stuff inside <XMBML version="1.0"> the settings are not changed.
    Added
    Some users wanted to tweak menu in a way that adds their own custom made slots. The (R)Evolution when updates, removes those custom slots added by the user. We are developing a way to make those tweaks resistant to (R)Evolution updates
    We are researching all alternatives. The main goal is to be all on the same category or folder
    An easy way for users to create modded comment under username in PSN category. Already done https://github.com/DigitalMorpheus/han_modded_comment but not implemented / integrated on (R)Evolution.

Niander466 and DeViL303 like this.
  19. 721
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

It was good that you mentioned about the slow loading of xmb. because I have this problem, how can I fix it? I'm in 4.84.2 HFW

Niander466 likes this.
  20. 7,225
    DeViL303

I understand, maybe there is a better title for it that is more user friendly.
    Its a small thing, but especially with different languages it could lead to users thinking it is different exploit.

Yeah, i have done a small bit of research into this, but not much at all, I know a bit more about rcos now so might look at this area again someday. I can make minor changes in the RCO, like disabling stuff, or cloning sub menu items, that is about all. See here for some of the stuff i know about it.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/editing-the-ps3-settings-category-rco.13131/

I see, yeah, there are 2 sides to this. Adding them to flash means they will survive a system format/restore, so if you add all your xmls and icons to dev_blind it is more part of the firmware and persistent. The main argument for not adding to dev_blind before was that it made it harder to update the files and the lack of space, its much easier to use a pkg to update the HDD files, BUT now with the recent discoveries by @lmn7 we can use pkgs to install to dev_blind so its all the one really.

Whatever happens anyway make sure to test your mod in a formatted hdd situation, really the mods needs to be wiped completely, or completely intact, as having half a mod after a format is not a good look :)

I would not worry too much about leaving a few files on flash in the case that your mod is removed. The user can install HFW again or use the file explorer to delete them manually if they are bothered, not a big deal really if its only a few KB.

True, forgot about PS2 homebrew. Not a bad idea to have a section for those somewhere.
    I know its not always possible, as sometimes stuff must be removed so its not duplicated etc, I just mean as much as possible. If we all go separate paths completely it will be messy, like i can add some of your queries to my mods if i need to, to maintain compatibility.

Also I suppose you can just say in release notes something like "this mod will wipe out all other exisiting mods, take it or leave it" :)

I thought it was not used at all, but its actually used on ingame XMB. I think Sony moved settings into the sprx for security or just due to the way some of the options work. Not 100% sure. Some stuff can be edited in small ways in the rco, see link above.

I see, yes, this is what i was saying about maintaining compatibility with other mods, most of the time it just involves leaving other custom queries untouched, or moving them somewhere else so they still exist.

Couple of ideas i have used in the past:
    • Add TV apps to Video, and repurpose the TV category
    • Add network items to PSN and use the network category.
    Those are the best 2 to use IMO, as they have least amount of items and are least complex in the rco/sprx. You will find ingame XMB can have issues if you move official stuff, so dont forget to check that. Some issues can be fixed in the rco by adding titles and icons, some issues can not be fixed so easily.

I see, you mean a dedicated injector so the file copier does not need to be used for modded comments, cool, why not.

Really all i did was remove unused stuff from the category_game.xml as that is normally where the issues are. Also I am not sure if its compatible with HFW as somethings might have been changed since, not sure. Here is thread where i posted it if you want to test on HFW or modify it yourself: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/infinite-loading-in-xmb-menu.17138/#post-112974

There are shop sections, BDU sections and dummy items that can be removed. Also moving package manager to its own xml will probably help so its not always loaded by default. There are tonnes of things that can be done differently, package manager can be rewritten to only take up half the lines.

Someone should do a clean up mod really. I dont use HFW so will leave it to someone else who can test it properly.

Niander466 and Danxx444 like this.