PS2 OPL All-in-One Configuration Thread (ART, CFG, CHT, THM and VMC Packs for All Games [HDD/USB/SMB])

Discussion in 'Open PS2 Loader (OPL)' started by imkira3, Feb 15, 2020.

1. 402
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Chillin like a Krillin
    Home Page:
    Someone asked me if my FHDB project was meant to be an all-in-one pack. I never really considered that, only that +60,000 ART files take forever to install and that made it way easier. But I might as well do that too. These packs are ridiculously easy to install, for HDD you can just use PS2 HDD BatchKit or a similar program. Just put ART files in the ART folder, etc, run PFS Batcher-v0.3.5.bat and the rest is easy. For USB and SMB just copy the files. Oh, and I'll be including CHT and THM files in the future, and including everything in future FHBD PRE-CONF packs. Note: Installing all the packs on HDD will fluff out quite a bit. I recommend making a 4.5gb +OPL partition. The CFG and ART packs will each take a full day or longer to copy, so be patient.

Do you have anything you would like to contribute to the collection? Perhaps a theme, or some home-made cheat files or ART? I'm happy to accept all contributions.

ART Pack 02/26/20

I made this one a while ago, and a lot has changed. The files are now PNG8 with a palette size of 256, for reduced filesize and improved HDD support. Despite this conversion the images are still great quality, sharp as a tack. This pack comes in the form of a disc image, it's rather bulky so the idea is you can burn it to a disc so you only have to download it once. Make sure you can read the Joliet partition or the names of the files will be wrong. Mount the image and check the disc title. I named it something like "BAD_LOAD_NO_JOLIET" as the ISO9660 label, that is what you will see if it loads wrong but most computers will read the disc just fine and display the Joliet label "ARTPack 02/26/20". Also, you can't install the entire pack on a FAT32 USB, there are just too many files. Sorry guys, you gotta choose art for certain games on USB. There is a limit of around 21,000 or 22,000 files in a folder in the root of a FAT32 filesystem. This will be the last "major" update. I will be adding new images from time to time, but having chosen a standard format this will be the last time you have to copy all of the images. To save time, sort by creation date, and use the list select tool (Shift+click everything in between file A and B) to copy all files added since the last update you installed.

Download (1.99gb)

CFG Pack 02/14/20

This won't do much of anything without the VMC pack installed, that's all it's configured to do atm, but it should cover over 99% of games! Included is a list of games, if you look at it you will notice the game ID's are very similar and follow certain patterns. By following these patterns I can predict the ID's of most games whether on my game list or not! This is important, to configure a game manually you MUST know the ID for the game. However, FAT32 can't support enough files in a folder in the root for this to work, so the USB method will only support known games. There is no way around that, however most games are known anyway.

Download (11.8mb)

VMC Pack 02/14/20

You must install the CFG pack too for this to work. This virtual memory card pack will add support for over 99% of games, including many unknown games, demo's, beta's, etc. (More details in the CFG section.) There are some games that don't work with VMC, but most work just fine. I disabled the problem games, you can see what works and what goes where in the game list found in the CFG pack. A saves location depends on the name of the game. They are stored alphabetically, with one card for each letter of the alphabet in slot 0 and 1. Unknown games go in the generic VMC. Note: A check in the VMC section is not meant to imply the game is tested, only that it's configured to work with VMC. I think most of the problem games are known by now, so you probably won't have any issues. If you do find a game that has problems with VMC, or is not on the list, please tell me, I would love to know about it!

Download (29.5kb)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    david1995w, TnA and jolek like this.
  2. 1,384
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

What resolution, file-format and bit-depth does it have?

Krah likes this.
  3. 402
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Most of the images are from the OPLM archive and meet the same conditions images must meet to be in the latest archive. (resolution, format, etc) Only real changes I made was changing all extensions to .jpg, which doesn't seem to cause issues and made rooting out duplicates easier. I also removed a few useless fluff images, and compressed about 1% of the images, only the ones that would benefit from compression. Compression was at an absolute minimum, and the images look no different to the naked eye, near as I can tell. Compression was good as the +OPL partition will already need to be rather large, and the difference between my 6gb drive and my 9.5gb drive is about 3.5gb: the size difference between the WA and regular FHDB PRE-CONF images. So basically, the next version will take up no more sectors than necessary :) so either version can install on some extremely small hard drives. I could still go back to when they were uncompressed, I'm tossing around the idea but I will need room for the THM files so :indecisiveness: we'll see. The 60 megs I saved could make a big difference.

4. 1,384
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

The pictures should be PNG 8Bit-Palettized!

5. 402
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    What are you talking about? OPL supports both jpg and png. Go ahead and download the latest OPL Manager image archive and you will see most of the images are jpg. I have heard that png used to be the standard however. Anyway, I have seen these images work firsthand, I can send you a few test images to see for yourself if you like.

6. 1,384
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

JPG cause issues especially in HD-Modes, due to VRAM-Overflows in some themes...

7. 402
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Oh really? I never knew, well then, I guess I have some more alterations to make, thanks for the tip man

I'll just go back to my original uncompressed backup and convert to the proper png type. Shouldn't take long. Gimme a day or so, should be ready by then. Ohhhh this is actually a really good thing! PNG-8 has a much smaller filesize ;) yay

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  8. 1,384
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Yerp... I know that JPGs and others "work"... This was implemented AGES ago... ;)

A 32Bit JPG uses 4 times the mount of VRAM, a 8Bit-Palettized PNG uses at the same resolution!
    Thus, we can have doubled resolution (horizontally and vertically) via PNGs, while using the same or even less amount of VRAM!

9. 402
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Makes sense.... I didn't want to reduce the quality but I wanted to reduce filesize. Gah, should have done this before :rolleyes2: it's a good plan either way. I wonder how PNG-8's smaller size will compare to JPG compression for size, hopefully I can save some space.

10. 1,384
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Nah, JPGs are smaller size-wise...
    Besides lossy compression (macroblock-quantization, etc.) it applies lossless compression (zip-like) as well.

11. 402
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Are zipped images supported? The bigger I make the OPL partition, the slower it loads :( like an MC. That's a problem, and I just went out and picked up a drive that was just the right size too. Now I'll need a 12 gig IDE drive probably, damn

Maybe I should look into 8-bit jpg files, that might be my best option considering the sheer amount of images. I don't know a lot about image editing but that should save VRAM the same as an 8-bit PNG in theory, though more lossy. And it would save space, making files in the +OPL partition load quicker.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  12. 1,384
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Doesn't work that way... JPGs are still "set up" as 32Bit-Images...

13. 402
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Wow. PNG8 is about as efficient as I thought at first. With a palette size of 256 the uncompressed images are much smaller than a compressed jpg! And sharp too, I can't even tell the difference and my eyes are decent. I have only converted a quarter of the images so far, but with a little math it looks like I'm gonna save about a gig! So the +OPL partition can be that much smaller, OPL can run that much faster, and I'll have that much room for expansions in the future. After the THM and CHT packs and a new FHDB PRE-CONF release, my focus will be on adding new ART images and completing my game list. I'll post again in a few hours with the new image pack.

Note: Bit depth: 8, Resolution: Original, Transparency: Yes

TnA likes this.
  14. 402
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Done! Yeah, it's a BIG update guys. So the bad news for HDD users is: everything will need to be reinstalled, because the +OPL partition will need to be created again, because every single ART file was updated to PNG8 palatalized, and is much smaller. PNG8 has improved compatibility with HDD users and the smaller size allows you to use a smaller partition, which improves load times as well! (Thanks to @TnA for pointing that out)

After installing this final big update, updating will be much simpler. It should be a while before the partition size will need to change at all, and updating should be as simple as adding the new files, saving much time. I decided to go with a date-based version number system, so updates should be simple. I'm gonna make a batch file updater at some point, but right now my focus is on the files themselves.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    david1995w and TnA like this.
  15. 1,384
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

They are smaller? I wasn't sure about it, lol... But they are DEFINETLY smaller in VRAM as well, which is an important part!