OSSC/Framemeister

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pinky, May 24, 2019.

1. 10,403
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I'm thinking about buying one of these, but which one is recommended? I've seen some pros and cons, but I'd like to hear about some personal experiences with them. also, must your tv support 240p to use them? my tv doesn't.

2. 97
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

Fedor Wearing A Fedora Member

I've the ossc for a couple of months now, for my setup it works very well for some consoles (32bit and below) and doesn't do that much for some others (mostly the early 2000 era consoles). If your TV/monitor can support many diffrent resolutions you'll get the most out of the many customizable options. On default 240p is set on passthru but if your tv doesn't support 240p you can upscale it to for example 480i. Cable quality is also an important factor, all of my non-hd consoles now use high quality component and if that's not supported rgb cables. The console that wowed me the most with the ossc was the dreamcast with a vga connection, still can't believe it was released late in the 90's. Image quality of 16bit and below consoles are comparable with the nes/snes classic mini on normal setting, other story when line4x or 5x are enabled. So far the PSX and Saturn worked awesome with 2d games but imo most 3D games that i own didn't age well....so upscaling it will not change how crappy the draw in distance is for example.
    Before purchasing the ossc i was also thinking about the framemeister, aside from the price difference and firmware updates the biggest pro for the ossc was how it handled resolution switches between 240p and 480i:

But may i ask, why not both? :P

pinky likes this.
  3. 919
    umart666

umart666 Member

i've sold my framemaster mainly because i have couple of nice CRT's and don't need 240p on my oled,and it has decent scaler already.

pinky likes this.
  4. 698
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I have a 14" CRT with built in DVD Player that I usually play PS2 on haha. The screen is a little bit small tho haha :D
    Got it free from my Grandfather

pinky likes this.
  5. 919
    umart666

umart666 Member

i've just turned down offer for 14" 16:9 crt trinitron with rgb scart that's basically in mint condition (was in friend's weekend house,wasn't used in like 10 years),i guess i'm spoiled as i have 36" 4:3 one and a 34" 16:9 one.picture does indeed look good as 400 lines that i'm guessing that tube has looks really good on 14" but in reality i wouldn't use it really...

pinky likes this.
  6. 10,403
    pinky

thanks for the detailed explanation. @Fedor Wearing A Fedora , I read that the OSSC has better image quality, and it seems to quite a bit less expensive, but that it had a crackling, sound problem, which would occur every so often. does yours do that?

my tv does have a vga input. when I bought the tv, I wanted one with component inputs for my ps2/wii and one with a vga input for my aging computer, which can no longer connect to the internet. this was on the only tv they had like that. I had gone to best buy to look at others. Virtually all new tvs come with hdmi only. I'm hoping to plug in a retron 3, since I find that better than the retron 5, but it only uses composite or s-video iirc. I'm also looking at playing psx games from the ps2.

if 2d games are at the quality of an nes/snes classic, I'll be happy. I have both of those systems, and both seem to be very well built. not sure about 3d games. I tried final fantasy vii on the psx classic, and it was extremely ugly.

wouldn't buying both be redundant? I don't think I could afford that. the framemeister is super expensive, possibly because it's been discontinued.

7. 97
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

So far haven't encountered the soundproblem, might have been fixed with the firmware updates? But then again i've the audio on passthru mode, maybe those reports of crackling sound came from user that downsampled their audio (one of the settings you can use) or they had a faulty unit/cables.

I always thought (from youtube comparisons and reviews) that image quality wise the framemeister was the better product. The ossc really starts to shine when using the multi line mode but depending on the console your monitor/tv must be compatible with those resolutions. Matter of fact your tv/screen is one of the bigger (if not biggest) factor in your overall experience.

Buying both was a lame joke but there's is some practical use behind it. For example if your tv doesn't support 960p or 960i and you'd use the line4x option for 240 or line2x for 480 resolutions the only thing you'd see is a black screen. Using a framemeister on top of the ossc will solve that problem because it has no problems converting 960 to 1080. From what've seen and read people use the framemeister as a normalizer in combination with the ossc.

pinky likes this.
  8. 10,403
    pinky

I might've misread about the better image quality. there's a lot of information on the internet, but it's hard to sort through. I asked about requiring 240p, since there was some ambiguity about whether or not that was needed. one website made it seem like it was.

the sound problem might've been from an older article. tbh, I had never heard of the OSSC 'til yesterday. I thought the framemeister was my only option.

my setup is pretty old. I only have a 28" tv, and my receiver doesn't have any hdmi inputs. my tv has one hdmi input, but I have 8 devices plugged in to three selectors with two hdcp-bypass boxes for my dvr and pstv. the image quality is pretty good for these cheapo selectors.

my setup is pretty complicated. I have a lot of dead hdds, since it's a pita to remove or add something. several of my cables are barely long enough, so they must be held after being unplugged or they'll fall behind my entertainment center. if that happens, it's pretty much lost forever. I also didn't mark power or video/audio cables, so I don't know what plugs into what. I have several surge protectors too. I've been using this same setup for years.

9. 919
    umart666

umart666 Member

just ditch that old tv and get a new one,VA if you don't have lot of money,OLED if you have,and look around for decent 4:3 CRT for 240/480p consoles just search for one with s video in if you're in ntsc regions,as PAL would almost certainly have SCART in,thus would support rgb right out of the box.

investing the money for converter just so you would squezze every bit of the performance of an old TV isn't too sound of an idea,yes i realize that most probably you would want a nice converter anyway if you fork the money for big screen,but also argue that even then you can just emulate old consoles even better on the PC...that's both cheaper and imho even doing anything imaginable to old 240p/480i games on my OLED can't really match the look and saturation of decent,not even a really high end one CRT.sure,it polishes it up really good especially early 3d games but i have that setup and i'm still using my ps3 with component on a CRT more often.and my xbr only costed me gas i've needed to pick it up and calling up the friend to haul it up. :)

pinky likes this.
  10. 97
    Fedor Wearing A Fedora

I cosign what @umart666 is saying about buying a new screen, that should be your first investment. A converter/upscaler comes into play if you plan on playing the games on the original consoles. If you want to go cheap you could buy the chinese dyi version of ossc, which is a bit cheaper but works the same as the original. Even supports firmware updates.
    If playing on original consoles isn't a big deal for you consider a retropie or an android tv box, retroarch works great for both and is still a cheaper option than an upscaler.

pinky likes this.
  11. 10,403
    pinky

thanks for the advice. I'll make a decision soon. replacing the tv would be ideal, but it would be difficult since I have very limited space.

12. 919
    umart666

umart666 Member

put it on the wall.i really doubt if you have the space for 28" you wouldn't be able to fit at least 40" as main difference in size are vertical one.most people overestimate space needed for big screens,as 65" consumes about 120cm (depending on the brand) of horizonal space.

also,i've observed that majority of people still use their old tv stands,computer desks,night stands etc that come typically in about 70-90cm of width,therefore are reluctant to upgrade as they perceive that display won't fit.there are couple of solutions for that problem - mount it on the wall,buy display/tv with central stand rather than legs in the corners,and maybe it's time to ditch that old tv stand from the 80's. :)

at least in my area you can custom fit and order in size you want really nice desks/stands/cupboards/shelves for basically dirt cheap or do it yourself.also,similar service ikea offers,and all of their counterparts/competition.little creativity and planning goes a long way.

pinky likes this.