PS3 Out of the loop. PS2 configs for Cobra?

Discussion in 'PS1/PS2/PSP on PS3' started by reiyu, Apr 14, 2019.

1. 105
    reiyu

reiyu Member

Upon reading the patch notes for the latest Rebug, you can have a config file along with the ISO so that the game can have patches.

Going to the psdevwiki, I can only see hex codes of the patch. How do I make this into a config file?

Also, I use webMAN-MOD, and I can see that there's a PS2 config PKG in the Git. Looking at the webMAN settings, there's an auto config enablement too. By installing the PS2 config PKG, does that include all the configs on psdewiki?

I'm mostly concerned about playing the undub version of Tales of the Abyss. Would this auto config detect a modified ISO?

Cheers!

STLcardsWS likes this.
  2. 3,171
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

It includes all the PS2 CONFIG in ManaGunZ + a few more from this forum.

webMAN MOD will use the existing config if they already exist. If not, it will search in /dev_hdd0/game/PS2CONFIG the config that matches with game id of the ISO and will create the config automatically with the name of the ISO.

3. 105
    reiyu

reiyu Member

Ah interesting! Thank you for the reply!

Just wanted to make sure that the PS2 ISO does not have a modified ID - or if it at least matches something in PS2CONFIG, is there a way to see the ID of an ISO via webMAN or is there an external app that can do it?

4. 1,123
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

ManaGunZ will not only detect the game ID (which is in a file on the root directory of the game disc it was ripped from) but will apply any applicable CONFIG file if required. I think by pressing Triangle when a game is highlighted, you'll get some options and I believe it will display the game ID. Realistically though, if the game has a CONFIG file it will be automatically added to dev_hdd0/PS2ISO along with the ISO itself.

https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/releases

T.A.U and reiyu like this.
  5. 105
    reiyu

reiyu Member

amazing! thank you so much for the info!

6. 1,338
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

I think the new webman-mod is also doing this?

aldostools likes this.
  7. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

in a way,yes.you can apply configs and switch between soft_emu and BC/semiBC emu if your console supports it.but it's stripped and doesn't have option for widescreen patches and couple more settings.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong,but i think widescreen patches and other advanced options are for soft_emu only.that's why i'm personally using webman mod as i have cechc and acually prefer gx_emu for my ps2 games (luckily all of them more or less work if not better then the same as on soft_emu).but being able to switch between them and on the fly is sure very nice. :)

8. 1,123
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Ithink wMM scans for config files provided that ManaGunZ is installed; if it is then the config file for the game in question is copied from the ManaGunZ directory into dev_hdd0/PS2ISO. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe it's the case. :)

9. 3,171
    aldostools

In the initial release of the PS2 config feature in webMAN MOD, ManaGunZ or the updater had to be installed to use the feature.

Now the installer copies the PS2 config files to /dev_hdd0/game/PS2CONFIG, so now ManaGunZ or the webMAN installer are not longer required to auto-configure the PS2 ISOs.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    STLcardsWS and Coldheart2236 like this.
  10. 5,373
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

ps2_softemu is not used in any useful hack, actually the file doesnt even exists in modern CFWs
    ps2_softemu was something sony used in the meantime but it was replaced by ps2_netemu (both does a emulation 100% by software)

The config files are supported by gxemu, softemu, and netemu (all the emus except the one specific for full backward compatibility CECHA and CECHB)
    The problem of configs in gxemu (for partial backward compatibility CECHB and CECHC) is the configs are "embedded" inside the emu. In other words, are not loaded externally so we cant "feed" gxemu with custom configs in a easy way
    The only known way to use configs with gxemu is by modifying the file ps2_gxemu.self and replacing one of the official configs by a custom config

And the ultimate responsible of loading the config files in netemu is cobra, as far i know cobra searches for the config at the same path where is located the game image (usually the ISO) then it "feeds" the emulator with the config as part of the boot settings
    The backup managers compatibles with configs copyes them to the path needed by cobra

So in some way, all the backup managers that have some feature related with PS2 configs are compatibles with each other, also you could copy the config files manually to that path for tests

aldostools and Coldheart2236 like this.
  11. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

thanks for clearing that up.

by soft_emu i've meant software emulation of any kind,didn't mean actual soft_emu emulator (nor was aware that there were two different ps2 software emulators for ps3).i'm sorry,i will try to remedy my ignorance. :)

there's still question about widescreen patches and wMM and gx_emu.if i'm understanding it correctly first of all by default mounting a ps2 iso via wMM in gx_emu will bypass all of configs and applying a widescreen patch is not possible?can it be done in Managunz or it's only possible with netemu?

12. 3,171
    aldostools

As @sandungas commented above the external PS2 configs are only used by ps2_netemu (which you can select on B/C or semi-B/C with webMAN MOD). Maybe @habib could be interested in implement the external PS2 config also for gx_emu / soft_emu via Cobra patches.

13. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

so widescreen patches are configs in a way and that also applies to them?

14. 5,373
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I cant tell you accuratelly, but i can explain a bit of managunz history
    At some point @Zar started implementing functions to apply patches to the ISO, this included support for the most known formats as pnach, the widescreen patches, FMV skip (to disable mpeg cutscenes videos) and things like that
    Initially managunz wa applying this patches to the ISO... so it was needed to modify the ISO file permanently

Later was implemented functions to "unpatch" the ISO and revert it to how it was originally... this allows to enable/disable the patch

And later was implemented the PS2 config support, thx to cobra this configs can be loaded in decrypted format... so zar added a "PS2 config editor" inside managunz that allows you to create config files in the PS3 manually... some more time later it was found how to extract the official configs from inside gxemu and softemu (there was over 700 iirc) so zar added them as a database inside managunz

And the point we are now (and this is the part i ignore)... is the official configs supports a lot of features, included patching the ISO... and the ps2_netemu applyes this patches "on the fly" (so no need to modify the ISO permanently), and in some way this official config format superceedes all the other unnofficial formats
    In few words, the official config format is a lot more powerful than the others (obviouslly, because is made by sony to patch his own emulator of his own console running in other of his consoles... they knows well what they are doing, lol)

So... zar implemented some kind of "translator" inside managunz to convert the unnofficial patch formats to the official format and to make all the patching/config/settings changes "on the fly"

Thats an awesome feature imo, but right now im not sure how much of that unnofficial patch formats are applyed "on the fly" (in other words has been "ported" to the official config format)
    I dont know it because managunz does lot of things and tricks related with PS2 patches and configs, i dont know well how everyone of them works, and i guess everyone of them required some special magic tricks... sooo not sure