PARAM.HIP & PARAM.HIS

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Berion, Jan 22, 2017.

1. 2,186
    Berion

Berion Developer

I have created package by "psn_package_npdrm.exe". In my app path I have "PARAM.HIS" but it's wasn't included in created PKG file... So with growing frustration ;p I have going to our holy place for seeking answers of the ancestors: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PARAM.HIS

My problems is that I don't understand file structure. What "52 6F 77 20 31" variable showing in this example? Content of "PARAM.HIS" excluded his 10b header? So I'm not sure how should looks complete header. For "PARAM.HIS" section everything is clear for me and I already test it on few games, but for HIP I cannot understand how this file should looks like.

edit:
    Ok, I'm stupid. HIP is just text with 1b footer. Problem solved. :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. 8,931
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Not sure the question exactly, but its just a TXT file ,,
    So it just holds text (officially by Sony its used for Update History, which that is where you access it on the sub menu of an item on the XMB). I just use Ps3tools pkg creation and it always includes it. It should be along with the XMB images (icon0.png ect..).

3. 2,186
    Berion

Berion Developer

I using hex editor. ^^ But anyway, I solved the puzzle right before Your answer. That's telepathy. ;)

STLcardsWS likes this.
  4. 5,789
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The "52 6F 77 20 31" was just a random text used as exmaple (Row 1), i guess it can be explained better

And btw... the standard way to use this files is to include a PARAM.HIP inside the .pkg... then the firmware at the time that package is installed converts the info inside the "HIP" to a "HIS"
    Or more exactlly... it concatenates the new info at the end of the previous "HIS" (if a HIS existed before in the installation path)
    The point is the "HIS" needs to be generated by the PS3 firmware

So the result after installing several update PKG's for the same app all them containing "HIP" files... should be a unique "HIS" that contains the info from all the originals "HIP" together
    It works as a changelog where you can cummulate new info for every update of an speecific app
    Also, the firmware adds a "timestamp" for every new section of info added in the "HIS"... so the user knows the exact date and time when was installed every one of the updates

But at the time this was documented and while testing... psl1ght didnt admitted to put a "HIP" inside a PKG
    As a faulty workaround... what was used was to include the "HIS" directlly inside the PKG, the problem is by doing this the firmware doesnt even recognizes the file as an special one, the package installer related functions only cares about HIP files, not HIS... so it treats the file as if it was a generic file and you lose all the features mentioned before

Not sure if nowadays psl1ight supports to do it correctlly... and im writing this from memory, maybe im forgeting something or saying some mistake

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. 438
    ricardo

ricardo Member

So if I use a .txt file with some information inside it and add it to RetroXMB beta 3, for example, will I have a PARAM.HIP file inside the pkg? This written information will be displayed in the XMB?
    The HIP will become HIS in the system?

6. 5,789
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I dont remember how RetroXMB beta 3 works, but the concept of how the firmware handle all this is the HIP is the "source", and the HIS is the "target"
    The PKG installer only has special functions for the HIP files (source)
    The XMB only reads the HIS files (target)

You can create a HIS file artificially, and add sections in it with the timestamps, like simulating that HIS has been "updated" several times by the firmware, and include it inside the PKG
    Lets say you repeat this again (over an installation that has a HIS already)... the result is you are overwriting the previous HIS, so you are not taking advantage of the functions that are able to update the IHS files and adds the timestamps, etc...
    Additionally i guess there must be some "unconnected" info inside the XMB databases because the HIS has not been generated in a conventional way
    It works but the point is not working as it "should" :)

7. 934
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    Home Page:
    and i'm trying to make the psn_package_npdrm.exe include my param.his without success