VITA / PsTV PCH-1000 or PCH-2000 PS Vita for first purchase

Discussion in 'General PS VITA Discussion' started by vr6cer, Aug 22, 2018.

1. 71
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Hi Everyone,

I would like to purchase my first PS Vita and I am wondering which version should I choose: the launch model PCH-1000 with the OLED screen or the newer PCH-2000 SLIM edition. I would like to use it for mainly homebrew applications and retro game emulators and for some of my old PSP backups. Which one would you recommend and why? Unfortunately it is impossible (or expensive) to purchase non-second hand Vita's this time so I am forced to purchase it second hand from a trusted reseller (like CEX in the UK). What are the key point to take care of when I would like to purchase one? What are the typical issues with the Vitas?

Thank you for every help and information.

2. 9,869
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

based on your budget, I'd say go with the 2000. the oled is a better screen, but the 2000 series has internal storage. I think the original vita may have it, but it's not accessible. you'd have to buy a memory card.

vr6cer likes this.
  3. 71
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Thank you @pinky , Money is not a problem, I would like to have the best Vita experience. (Of course in a reasonable price, not like some of the brand new ones for hundreds of dollars/pounds on ebay). I already ordered an sd2vita adapter because I would like to use my own micro sd card.

4. 9,869
    pinky

there's supposed to be a way around the memory card requirement. I think it's a form of henkaku.

5. 4,648
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Home Page:
    He did not mention what his budget is??

@vr6cer I would recommend the original as its just a nicer machine IMO. If its on the latest FW you would need a small official memory card just to hack it afaik, once hacked then you can use your micro Sd with adaptor. If its on 3.60 Fw or older then you don't even need an official memory card at all.

vr6cer likes this.
  6. 71
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Unfortunately there is a chance that it's going to be on the latest OFW.

7. 487
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Doesn't matter, h-encore will run fine on 3.68. You will not be able to install enso though, so the exploit must be run every time you restart your console.
    I would personally recommend a 1000 series based exclusively on the OLED screen, but I've seen many people say the 2000 is way more comfy to hold. I cantc vouch for that statement since I don't have one

vr6cer likes this.
  8. 9,869
    pinky

atreyu owns both. he preferred the 1000 series due to the oled. he said the darks were much more clear.

vr6cer likes this.
  9. 71
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

@kadorna2 thank you for the recommendation. You mean because of the high system software I won't be able to install permanent CFW, right?

10. 71
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Thank you guys for the help, I think I stay with the original version because of the OLED screen and bigger size which is better for my hands. Are there any specific issues with the older modell which need to keep an eye on before purchasing a used one?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  11. 4,648
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Home Page:
    Never had any issues with mine really. Except as the cable for the phat one is unique to those and its positioned badly on the bottom, unlike the slim which uses a normal usb cable. Make sure its in good condition anyway. I had to replace my phat Vitas cable once before because it started breaking near the end that plugs into the console.

vr6cer likes this.
  12. 715
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    There is a few things need to have in consideration on which PSVITA model to purchase.

Lets begin off with the PCH-1000 Series, as an early adopter of the VITA, i can tell is the best Version to have, the OLED screen was a big selling point and still is if you buy a PSVITA.

Now lets go to the drawbacks of owning a Phatty PSVITA, starting of with the battery, yes, the original ones will only last you 3-4h on a single charge, but nothing that will annoy you.

Second, its the achilles heel of the PSVITA, the OLED screen, although gorgeous to look at, with years it can lead to colour degradation or even burn-ins on the screen, as well the display can have a failure, but the chances of that happening is very slim.

Another thing you will need is memory cards, as the original doesn't have internal storage, and the proprietary USB connector, which can be a bit of a headache to find, but Amazon has plenty of them.

But the build quality certainly speaks for its reputation, but if you take care of the system, it will last you years to come, even the OLED screen.

Now onto the Slim, although the build quality is a downgrade from the original, there are some positive points about it, mainly the battery, the internal storage.

The screen may be a big NO NO for somebody, as people complain that the LCD screen is a steep down form the OLED screen, as that mainly is true, its not bad as you may think, yes the colour ballance may be a bit of the washed side, but remember, the screen will last much much longer than the OLED one, and you don't need to take precautions on a LCD as an OLED.

In conclusion, if you are a casual user, an game every now and then, then the OLED VITA is a solid buy, but it can be a bit more expensive, as the demand is high, and of course is the crown jewel of the VITA models.

If you are a heavy user, or you don't want to have headaches about the OLED display, then the Slim VITA is a solid buy, and usually cheaper. :)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    vr6cer and pinky like this.
  13. 71
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

This is an excellent comparism, I really appreciate it, thank you very much! Yes, this burn-in thing is one of the downside of the OLED screens. I really like "older" devices, because usually the build quality and the experience is way much better (like the slim Ps3 compared to the super slim). Hopefully slightly under £100 pound with 2 year full warranty and with an official 4gb vita-sd card I can get a good-condition 1st generation second-hand Vita. I just need to test a few of them before I actually purchase the device, just to make sure, so I don't have to come back to the shop to claim the warranty. The special USB cable is not an issue, as you mentioned, Amazon and AliExpress are full with affordable price cables like this. Also, it is possible to get replacement battery, so basically I can have a "clean" start. Only the screen and the physical appearance of the device must be checked carefully, all the rest is manageable.

14. 715
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    That is indeed true, if you can find one at a cheap price, you are pretty much golden.

I bought mine in 2011 on launch day, then sold it, and now ive bought one again, because Gravity Rush, snagged one at a really cheap price, at 60€ (roughly 50£) with a 4Gb Memory and Charger as well as USB Cable that came with it.

Condition wise is good, not great but good, some scuffs and scratches and on the touch pad and a few minor on the screen, because was mainly used by a child, but overall it works,so i cleaned it, applied a screen protector and a case, and is spot on :)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  15. 715
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    So for screen comparasion sakes, ive used my Sony Xperia XZ with Triluminos Display and disabled any image enhancements such as X-Reality Pro and Vivid Mode, to fully match the TFT display of a PS VITA PCH-2000 screen, of course the displays on the PS VITA is almost more comparable as a low spec Xperia TFT screen such as an Xperia M4, but for comparasion sakes, ive stacked against my PCH-1108 OLED model, and yes, as expected the colour spectrum on the 2000 will never match the OLED, although some review sites state that the is almost zero difference in the display quality, i would say that is a night an day difference on the colour vibrance, even with the Triluminos Vivid Mode, its still no match for an OLED.

There are some colour areas, which an OLED can fail, but thats not a major issue, for example a red colour on a LCD showing as Dark Amber, due to the nature of the OLED colour reproduction, but an OLED is an OLED ;)

16. 71
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Finally I chose the Slim version, because of the better battery life and the mocro usb connection. Ot's a fantastic device! I really like it.

17. 1,151
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

I have both and while i like the slim version for its upgraded features like cable, internal storage, etc. I still prefer my original oled model any day of the week to the slim. There is no comparison when it comes to that beautiful screen. Its hard to olay on the slim afrer using the phat so much, i cant stand the dullness of it.

18. 715
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    Last week ive got a second OLED PCH-1004 for dirt cheap, plus it was on firmware 2.12, so 3.65 is on :D