PS3 PDB Research On Background Downloads

Discussion in 'Homebrew Development' started by pink1, Feb 16, 2018.

1. 1,449
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

I first started looking into PDB files a few years ago while helping Darkprogramer with his PeXploit tool. We got the bubble installer working so moved on to other things.
    The other day I was downloading a file in the background & decided to do some experimenting.
    The first thing I noticed was the full size of the download even with the download at 1%. So to make a background download we first need to make a blank file the size on the one we're wanting to download.
    Then we need to make our d0.pdb & d1.pdb files. The only difference in these is the value of 0x65( in d0 it is 00 & in d1 it is 01).
    A lot of the info is still unknown but from real files the only 9 IDs we need to mess with to make our own are 0xD0, 0xCE, 0xCB, 0xCA, 0x6A, 0x68, 0xE7, 0xD9 & 0xF6.
    I still have more experimenting to do on different file types & to see what IDs can be left out. I have successfully created a background pkg download that downloads & installs tho

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. 1,449
    pink1

After some more testing I have found that d1.pdb is not needed(the ps3 will make one or you) & also the IDs 0xE7, 0xD9 & 0xF6 can be left out without any problems. So now that leaves us with only 6 known IDs to worry about & 0xD0 gets set to 00.
    I've made an app for the PS3 to do this but it's using a modified copy of the ***PlayStation Store*** db so I'm not sure that it's something I'll be able release when I get it done or not.

If anyone has any info or pdb files they would like to share please post it :)

DeViL303 and kozarovv like this.
  3. 7,280
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    DeViL303 and pink1 like this.
  4. 5,978
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Interesting, I had an idea before for a upgraded package manager that would require PDB creation on the console so maybe this research will help someone to do it someday (not me). There are probably lots of ways it could be done, I was thinking something like this: A package manager plugin would be required to be running that would scan available pkg folders at bootup (or on command), This would create the PDBs required to show all pkgs properly on the XMB (inside the pkg manager), I mean with bubbles, icons, "install" and "delete" and "info" options on the "press triangle" menu all in one place (no separate xmb menu for deleting). Maybe this plugin that creates the PDBs could have access to NTFS drives too and link up pkgs over 4GB on those..not sure about that but it would be a nice new feature to add at this late stage in the consoles life.

There are a few things that could be a problem
    1. Not sure if its fully possible to have bubbles divided up into different XMB sections for different locations, that's important really.
    2. There would need to be an auto (or manual) rescan option when new drives are added/removed after boot too.

Bit of random info: I had something weird happen once when I was downloading a PSP launcher with XMBPD, it was an early version that did not use wMM's download function, it used the official "singstar method", Anyway after download I got a quick "preparing" progress bar for a second and I found it had created a bubble for the pkg, which was fully working when I pressed triangle and installed it, I could never repeat it though so have no idea how it happened.

STLcardsWS and pink1 like this.
  5. 1,449
    pink1

@kozarovv Thanks for the links. These files aren't as hard to get anymore now that we can access to PSN again so it would be nice to get as much info we can.
    @DeViL303 That would awesome upgrade to have. If we could make a patch or something that would make the ps3 look in other folders for the pdb files(like redirect dev_usb0 to dev_hdd0/vsh/game_pkg) that would keep us from having to move the files to the ps3.
    This was my first time making an app that runs on the system I have a few more ideas I'd like to try. If I ind anything interesting I'll let everyone now :)