PS4 Phat, Slim or Pro

Discussion in 'General PS4 Discussion.' started by Spawn, Nov 16, 2019.

?

Which is better for casual gaming without 4K TV

1. Phat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Slim

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Pro

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. 586
    Spawn

Spawn Member

So I'll be buying a PS4 soon, as I feel I need to play the newer releases of my favorite game series (God of War, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy etc).

But there's a big jump in price between the different versions (50$USD phat <-> slim and 120$USD phat <-> pro) leaving me with a hard choice.

So I ask the community to help me out.

Please vote on the console to buy and comment why.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  2. 294
    Luisile

Luisile Member

I voted for slim but i want a pro. I voted for the slim for only one reason is small, silent and i have not heard from anybody that has any problems with it. Yes i want a pro but they are much more higher price and people still say its loud.

Yugonibblit and DeViL303 like this.
  3. 439
    Yugonibblit

Yugonibblit PSX-Place Supporter

Mechanic
    Pro is my choice because whatever comes up in firmware in the future and possibly things that are only exclusive to the pro ps4:D

DeViL303 likes this.
  4. 2,299
    Berion

Berion Developer

Slims are better construction than Fat units (BTW: why peoples writing "Phat"?). I have Slim but from last year till today, those models are slowly starting been a "second grade citizens". :( Instead to Sony promises (oh, no, I never trust any company "promises", don't worry :P), not all games runs smooth on them because many developers optimizing their games for better model, the Pro. So if difference in costs between slim na pro is not important for You and You playing a lot, choose Pro.

On top of that, some early games which got patches for Pro runs on them worst than on Slims or Fats (in both modes: 1080p or fake4K).

Buying Slim, You also get Dual Shock 4 rev2.

For myself, Pro cost to much to pay for such no to so huge differences. Well, pro can run games in 60fps in 1080p, or 30fps in fake 4K with or without HDR (I don't have such TV), and some games have better textures and more objects on scene - and that's all. For me it not worth even when in some games sometimes dropping to 20/25fps.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Spawn, Yugonibblit and DeViL303 like this.
  5. 7,225
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

For me it has to be Pro. With the PS5 out soon it's probably safe to say there will be no better PS4 models released in future*. So if (when?) newer FW gets hacked and for years to come the PS4 Pro will be like the 60GB launch model of PS4s. It will be the one that can do the most and the one that everyone wants.

Also when it comes to games getting released on PS4 and PS5, how long before some of those dual releases stop supporting standard PS4s..

* Maybe they will release a "Slim Pro" type PS4 but hard to know if it would be better at this stage, so out of current models it will have to be Pro for me and that's why I have an unused GOW limited edition Pro on 5.05 put away for a rainy day. :)

Spawn and Yugonibblit like this.
  6. 1,774
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    It really depends on your budget, and if you care about features or you'd rather save money and not care about them.

I didn't own the 2013 Model, as these are somewhat problematic units, not as bad as the RROD, but HDMI Encoders, Bad HDMI Ports, Failing PSUs and Bad APUs seems to be the common issue for the CUH-1000/1100 and sometimes even the 1200 Series.

What i recommend is getting a PS4 Slim, and let me tell you why!

Not only you are getting a newer Hardware Revision, but also improved reliability, not to mention a quieter system, than the Original, the C Chassis dropped the Fan Level to almost Slim Specs, thats the 1200 Series, search for a Slim CUH-2100 and upwards, not the 2016 batch, the early 2016 still retain the same HDMI Encoder Problem as before, sometimes even bad APUs, look for the 2017 or above batch, i owned a 2017 CUH-2016B for 2 years, before i switched to a CUH-7216B Pro, the consoles never gave me any issues, or hassles, can't recommend it enough.

Now for the PS4 Pro, you must only buy it, if you really demand and want the extra bells and whistles, the difference isn't huge from the base model, but its noticeable if you have a trained eye, but isn't a deal breaker from the base model, this version is only enjoyed on the big 4K screens, on 1080p panels, you'll be better of with the base model, not to mention the very first 7000 Series Pro its a Jet Engine, the 7100 toned down, and the 7200 its quiet as a Slim.

Personally now i own a Pro, but thats just because one of my friends decided to sell it to me for half of the purchase value, its not even 5 months old, only because he decided to get the Death Stranding Limited Edition one instead, also kind of a buyers remorse on my end for not buying the Pro back in 2017, but thats just personal preference of being a demanding user.

See whats within the range of your budget, and you'll see whats option fits your needs, if you can snag a 500Gb Slim, you'll guarantee yourself a sweet deal, given its sold for the right price, although on the used market, people tend to sell the PS4s for the same price, regardless if is Fat or Slim, thats around 150/250€, for the Pro its a different story, expect prices of 300€ and above, so thats 50€ difference from a sealed unit, which is not worth spending that much for a used Pro.

Ill leave the rest in your best judgement, good luck with your purchase.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Yugonibblit likes this.
  7. 5,902
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Phat comes from a US slang word which is "Man she's gotta phat arse" meaning pretty hot and tempting. And for some reason people started using it for video game systems as well. I think it is dumb but have used it myself from time to time.

As for the systems I like the slim because it is a bit quieter, cooler and uses less energy. But outside of 4K gaming there is little use for the pro unless HDR means something to you.

Berion and Spawn like this.
  8. 1,774
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    PlayStation's are not Phat, they are...

[​IMG]

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

atreyu187 likes this.
  9. 5,902
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

That truly made me laugh and so relatable just like I like my women errr PlayStation's.

10. 406
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

I have a slim and newer pro models I use my pro most of the time but I have a 4k tv and it makes a difference for games that support 4k.
    Even if you only have a 1080p tv with boost mode and supper sampling it makes a difference especially if you SSD for the pro

Yugonibblit and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 7,225
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I don't even see the point of this poll tbh. You might as well have wrote:

Should I get:
    • The crappiest PS4
    • The smallest PS4
    • The best PS4
    :-p

Joking, but its not like with PS3 where you have to weight up things like PS2 compat and card readers and 4 USBs against stuff like smaller form and cooler and quieter etc. With the PS4 you can have the best of all worlds and get the newest version pro.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    RandQalan and Yugonibblit like this.
  12. 586
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Of course the pro is the "best" console, but my question is whether it's beneficial to buy a pro if I don't have a tv with 4k support.

13. 439
    Yugonibblit

Yugonibblit PSX-Place Supporter

Mechanic
    Well in your specific situation I would go with the slim no need for 4k. I dont think 4k is worth anything without ray tracing for speed. And what you cant see or feel won't hurt you.:D.also the phat is for me right now because of 5.05 exploit. Which seems to me to be the most cost effective. If your into the home brew development.

Spawn likes this.
  14. 406
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

It is really simple then faster load times and some improvements for 1080p pro or cost effective slime or if like Yugonibblit said for now homebrew Phat.

Spawn and Yugonibblit like this.
  15. 586
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I might be getting a phat 5.05 if one pops up at a reasonable price, but for now I want to enjoy some newer games as listed in OP. And with PS5 around the corner, perhaps newer FW will be exploited.

All good reasons for pro.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  16. 586
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I went for a Slim as my first. Got a bundle with 2x controller. FW 6.70 and 8 of my favorite games. 450$USD for the lot.

Gonna grab a JB model at a later stage, as the ones I see more often have some kind of failure that requires soldering (usually bad solder to begin with) and I've fixed a few of those before.

A pro wasn't going to benefit me other than the loading times, and I'm in no rush when I play games. ;)
    But please vote for your pick anyways. It's always good to see the community pick.

Yugonibblit likes this.