Pinky's Wii-U Tutorials

Discussion in 'Wii-U' started by pinky, Oct 27, 2016.

1. 12,155
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

Pinky’s Wii-U Tutorials

How To Self-Host Your Own Files

Note: Mongoose is no longer the preferred method of hosting your own files. I don't believe it works on 5.5.1 due to lack of php support. Xampp is now the preferred method. Drop your hosted files (link down below) in a folder named Wii-U, and then drop that folder in xampp/htdocs. On your Wii U, go to the browser and type in your laptop/pc's ip address followed by Wii-U (i.e. xxx.xxx.x.xxx/Wii-U). That's it. Enjoy. :)

• Download these two rar files:

For SD Card and For PC.

Note: These are not my files, but I'm hosting them for this tutorial.

Also, download the free version of Mongoose.

• Extract the contents of the "For SD Card" rar file to your SD card, and extract the contents of the "For PC" rar file to your computer. "For PC" can go anywhere. Keep the "For SD Card" contents in the same folders - wiiu/apps .

• Install "Mongoose." Once it's installed, open it. Right-click its icon, and select advanced settings. Now, change the port to anything above 10000.

Note: Not changing the port from 8080 could cause a conflict with other apps including Vita Update Blocker and ccproxy.

• Now, select "Set shared directory" and point it to the location you placed the "For PC" content.

• Now, insert your sd card into your Wii-U. Once the console has booted up, go into the Internet Browser and type your ip address (192.168.x.xxx) followed by a : along with the port you selected in Mongoose's advanced settings:

Example
      Code:
      192.168.1.130:12345
      You should now be in the homebrew channel where you can select other elf files (apps) such as loadiine and saviine. Enjoy!

How To Block Wii-U Updates

One of the irritating aspects of the wii-u is that it updates automatically. Here's a tutorial on how to bypass that.

• Download ccproxy from its official website.

• Open ccproxy and click on options to check the http port being used. You may change the port if you wish, but I left it at 808 to prevent any conflicts.

• Close the options menu, and click on account.

• In the permit category section, make sure it says permit only. For auth type, select mac address.

• Now, click on web filter.

• Select new. Now, name the web filter. Make sure site filter and forbidden sites is selected. In the box below, copy and paste this:

Code:
      cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net;*.cdn.shop.wii.com;*.wup.shop.nintendo.net;*.c.shop.nintendowifi.net;*.deploy.s
      These are the nintendo update servers. Select save and close web filter..

• Now, you should still be in the account tab. Select new.

• Name your new account. Type in the mac address of your wii-u (mac sure mac address/host name is enabled). Check web filter. Select the web filter that you created. Now, click save and ok to close the new account.

• On your wii-u, select internet connections in the system settings tab. Select the default options until you get to proxy. In the proxy section, select use. Now, type in the ip address of your computer. You can find this by going into command prompt and typing

Code:
      ipconfig /all
      Next, select the port that you created in the options section.

• Now, test if it worked by looking at the download notifications section of the home menu. It should say not downloads finished downloading with a red x over it. You can click on the download notification section to see that system updates have failed to download. It will say this whether or not a new system update is available. You should still be able to access the internet to use the race attack hack for loadiine, saviine, etc. Enjoy!

How To Delete A Fake Ticket

Something that can be frustrating about the way licenses (.tik) work for the Wii U is the fact that they're not deleted when deleting a game. Also, many tickets are found in the same .tik file. I remember when I was doing this for the first time, Lucadian Chronicles, the game I was trying to get rid of the fake ticket for, was lumped in with a Sonic game. lol This tutorial will fix this and possibly prevent cbhc bricks from not testing the bought game on cfw.

• First, download tik2sd from here:

Code:
      https://github.com/FIX94/tik2sd/releases

• Next, open the homebrew launcher using your favorite entry point

• Run tik2sd. This may take a few moments, so give it some time. Afterwards, you should have a file named: keys.txt, along with your tickets, in the tik2sd folder on the root of your sd card.

• Now, lookup the title id for the game you want to delete the fake ticket for. You can obtain this from a title key site which I can't give the name of due to it containing copywritten material on it.

• After you find the .tik with the fake ticket for the game you want to remove, check the size. If it's 696 or 848 bytes, there's only one ticket in it, so you can safely delete the .tik from:

Code:
      storage_slc/rights/tickets/apps
      Use ftpiieverywhere to do this. And, make sure it's the ftpiieverwhere for your situation (i.e. coldboot haxchi ftpiieverywhere or normal ftpiieverywhere). Remember the location as well which can be found in the tik2sd folder on the root of your flash drive. :)

• If the size is larger, open the ticket in a hex editor such as HxD:

Code:
      https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD
      Now, you can find which ticket and which .tik file it is based on the keys.txt, so once inside, you'll know if a ticket is at, for example. offset 0 or offset 350, etc. Also, each new ticket file starts with:

Code:
      00 01 00 04
      This is important if say you have a fake and legit ticket at the same time. tik2sd won't tell you this. Now, either delete the one ticket (in hex) from the .tik file or, if there's more than one, compare the two.

• If there's a repeating pattern with one of them over and over again near the beginning (00 01 00 04), that's your fake ticket. It might say "DISEASED ISABELLA" in hex many times. That's what mine said anyway. Delete it.

• Now, transfer the .tik to:

Code:
      storage_slc/rights/tickets/apps
      followed by the folder location you found in tik2sd. Now, test to see if it works by trying to play the game without cfw. This should help people with cbhc or other haxchi errors or even if you were using a fake ticket, but now want to buy the game to use haxchi (can't with a fake ticket or it will fail install). Good luck.

Thanks to Madridi for teaching me how to do this.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your Wii-U. Just follow the instructions, and you’ll be fine! :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. 7,846
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

pinky likes this.
  3. 12,155
    pinky

that will make things easier. the only conflict I've encountered is with vita update blocker since u can't change its port. it needs to be turned off when launching mongoose for the first time or u'll receive an error. changing the port in advanced settings fixes this issue, so vita update blocker and mongoose can work together afterwards.

bguerville likes this.
  4. 12,155
    pinky

just loaded up the wbfs version of super mairo galaxy 2, and much to my surprise, my saves r still intact from the wii-u (wii downloaded) version. I should probably post a tutorial on hacking the virtual wii, but the number of different games to use to install the homebrew channel using ios 58 - I only have experience with the smash stack. I still own the game. from what I've heard, it's the less likely to be patched if Nintendo even cares anymore. there's a brick risk with the virtual wii, but it's pretty small; if u do brick, u can't update the system at all (may not matter considering u want to block updates anyway) as long as ur on 5.3.2-5.5.1.

5. 12,155
    pinky

anyone install redNAND yet? I compiled my fw.img yesterday. for some reason, it couldn't extract the common key from my otp.bin, but I think it may be that I was on 5.3.2 when I created it. maybe I should write a tutorial on that along with a note? I need to make sure it can compile on 5.5.1 first though, which I'll do tomorrow. gaming atm. I manually added the keys to the script file which worked. that, along with a tutorial on hacking the virtual Wii seems like a good idea to me. I don't have experience with anything other than the smash stack though, so I may have to start where the homebrew channel is already ready?

Phil likes this.
  6. 12,155
    pinky

I'm prepping for redNAND this weekend. I just need to transfer all sd card stuff to a usb drive which I'm doing right now. it's actually a drive I'm using for the ps3 in lieu of another drive that failed on me. there's nothing on the drive atm, but this sd card I'm backing up. afaik, the sd card is formatted when redNAND is created on it. plus, u need double the space depending on ur NAND size (32GB needs 64GB; 8GB needs 16GB). I'm most interested in the system configuration tool which allows an install option for I think dlc and game backups.

7. 12,155
    pinky

I've got everything setup:

[​IMG]

8. 12,155
    pinky

I just set up haxchi to boot redNAND from the system NAND bypassing the homebrew channel:

[​IMG]

9. 12,155
    pinky

just made my wii-u region free:

[​IMG]

Joonie likes this.
  10. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

One of my friends owns a Japanese WiiU, he's dying to get region free since almost all hax stuff are based on PAL/US.

Please write some noob friendly tutorials :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitsbubba and pinky like this.
  11. 12,155
    pinky

I will. the region free is on my redNAND, not the sysNAND, since redNAND can save u from a brick if u install the wrong thing on sysNAND. however, installing to usb on redNAND can affect sysNAND. my redNAND channel is actually Yoshi's Island DS. I installed it on redNAND, but it works in sysNAND as well. if u install something to the internal memory, it will only be available in either redNAND or sysNAND depending on which one u install it to. the system config tool (the pic above) is installed to internal flash of my redNAND, so it doesn't show up in sysNAND. one thing I discovered is that u shouldn't have a different game or app occupying the same space in redNAND/sysNAND or weird things can happen.

Joonie likes this.
  12. 12,155
    pinky

I'll have to skip the redNAND channel portion, because they require a hacked rom. afaik, there's no JP version of the roms which r all DS games due to a vulnerability with DS games. the hack should work without problems via the homebrew channel on a JP system though. u need to be on 5.5.1 or redNAND won't work btw. I grabbed my otp from one system on 5.3.2 to create my fw.img (required for loading redNAND), but it couldn't read the common key. it read it perfectly on 5.5.1 though. plus, I don't think u can even create redNAND, even if it were to work, on anything lower than 5.5.1. I might have to make a tutorial on creating the fw.img since it contains the common key. the credit will go to the good people of gbatemp, since I learned how to do all this from reading their posts.

Joonie likes this.
  13. 12,155
    pinky

I also need to alter the mongoose tutorial (self-hosting files) since mongoose doesn't work correctly with 5.5.1. I'm using xampp now. I think it has to do with php not being compatible with mongoose. it may work with paid version, but the free version, at least, doesn't support it. xampp also uses ssl encryption and doesn't require a port to be added to the url address. it uses ports 80 and 443 by default, so it does use a port, just it doesn't need to be entered on the wiiu. only the ip address of ur computer and the folder u'r hosting needs to be entered. ;)

14. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

@pinky fyi, though that JP version of DS games isn't listed, haxchi does work with JP games, a friend of mine is using Brain Age to exploit the kernel :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinky likes this.
  15. 12,155
    pinky

I wasn't aware of that. the title id should be easy to figure out, it's the hacked rom that I don't understand. btw, apparently, region free does in fact work on sysNAND. it's very easy to do as well.

bitsbubba and Joonie like this.
  16. 12,155
    pinky

u need to use the wupclient.py to make a connection to the system. then, download the sys_prod.xml. modify it. then, reupload it. it's a lot like how u'd download/upload files on the vita before henkaku.

Joonie likes this.
  17. 12,155
    pinky

I've successfully installed my first game to redNAND. since it has signature patches, it will work with a fake ticket. u usually need a legit ticket to get the game to work in sysNAND (I believe), but redNAND protects me from possible bricks due to a faulty install. I have around 50 games total for the wii-u. I've separated the games between regular NAND and redNAND, since, when u install a game with a fake ticket in redNAND and try to boot it up in regular NAND, u'll receive an error saying that the nnid associated with the game has been deleted, please download the game again. I haven't figured out how to rip legit tickets from the system yet, but I've heard it's a pain.

Joonie likes this.
  18. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

My friend ended up using sysNAND + CFW + RegionFree, because it only bypasses the region check but the game follows the system's region still so some games would just show Japanese texts though they are US versions.

There are some cons towards redNAND, because formatting , or updating FW will result in brick, so it requires debrick process or re-setup the whole thing again, other than that, there doesn't seem to be cons.

that NNID linking shit is what bothers me the most for both 3DS and WiiU. I think you could just un-link the NNiD so that way you could just keep sysNAND as clean as possible?

19. 12,155
    pinky

yes, it's still uncertain if u should unlink ur NAND and redNAND. if Nintendo comes out with an update, u'll probably have to unlink them. to do so means formatting. u can't format redNAND or it will brick it. u'll have to format the regular NAND which means backing up all saves and redownloading ur digital games. afaik, the games will still be intact, but the usb associated with the system will no longer be tied to the system which means formatting the usb drive to relink it. ur nnid will also be removed which means u couldn't boot the games anyway. it's a major pain. as u probably know, that's how it was with the 3ds except u could format redNAND. I'm hoping that will change at some point. what I'm wondering is if u format the regular NAND, will the usb still be tied to redNAND. I'm thinking it would be, but I'm not sure.

Joonie likes this.
  20. 12,155
    pinky

@Joonie , check this out: https://github.com/FIX94/haxchi

u can effectively load a certain elf file by holding a button. I'll probably leave the default as redNAND which is in the boot directory currently. then, I could have wupserver as another fw.img by holding down a button. I believe that's considered cfw. and, I could have the homebrew channel as the last button press. maybe ftpii as well. I've never used it before though.

Joonie likes this.