PLAYING UNCHARTED: GOLDEN ABYSS ON PSTV

Discussion in 'PlayStation TV (Vita TV)' started by Curtis Day, May 31, 2016.

1. 1
    Curtis Day

Curtis Day Member

PLAYING UNCHARTED: GOLDEN ABYSS ON PSTV

[​IMG]

If you’re anything like me, you hate that Uncharted: Golden Abyss was only released on the PS Vita. We know from various interviews with developers that most likely it will be re-mastered for the PS4 in the future but if you want to play it on your PSTV now here’s a tutorial for how to accomplish it. There are many YouTube videos/guides that claim you can only reach Chapter 2 due to the lack of the motion controls when using a DS3/4 controller. This assumption is false. While it’s true that the DS3/4 controllers do not have motion controls that work with the PSTV(yet) you don’t actually need the motion controls to pass MOST obstacles that would normally require it. You only NEED motion controls for Chapter 12. To play the game on your PSTV you’ll use the Whitelist hack AND the EML Memory Card Swap hack both originally released by Mr. Gas and Major Tom (Thanks!). Physical items required are a PSTV and PS Vita (both running older firmware – 3.52 or lower I believe), a Vita memory card, a DS3/4 controller (DS4 makes the game MUCH easier due to the touch pad – even easier than on the actual Vita) and a computer with Mozilla Thunderbird and an internet connection. The first thing you need to do is follow the instructions on this link to enable your PSTV to play the Uncharted: Golden Abyss game via the Whitelist hack.

http://wololo.net/2015/09/26/pstv-w...es-on-your-ps-tv-with-simplified-steps-video/

I recommend “the easy way” that is listed first. It works like a charm. Once that’s done you’ll insert your Uncharted: Golden Abyss game card and start gameplay. Besides the annoying tutorial screens that pop up quite a bit during the beginning of the game, it plays very similar to the PS3/4 Uncharted games. Play through as you normally would until a section in Chapter 1 where you and Dante have to cross a log bridge. This is when you see what the PSTV can really do can’t do. You’ll get the tutorial screen showing you how to balance on the log with the motion controls of the Vita but of course you’re not using a Vita so you don’t have the luxury of motion controls. There are no tricks required to pass this log because when you fall Drake catches himself and gets across without needing balance. Continue on until you reach a section in Chapter 2 where you’re required to cross another log bridge with your new co-star, Chase. She will cross first and you’ll be required to shoot 3 bad guys on the other side before it’s your turn to cross. Once you get to a certain point on the log (usually the section covered in green moss) a balance meter will appear and you'll lose control or Drake. Normally while crossing logs using the PS Vita you’ll just need to tilt the Vita to regain your balance and then continue on across. With the PSTV however this is impossible (for now) so you’ll always fall off the log and die. Here’s where thinking outside the box comes in. There are two ways I’ve been able to cross this log. The first is you can start just before the log and jump onto the log and if you time it correctly you can roll directly after you land the jump and you’ll make it to the other side. The second way is to start just before the log and jump onto the log and if you time it correctly you can jump again to make it across. Usually with either method you’ll end up on the right side of the log almost in the water or on one of the rocks and if you don’t jump a third time you can die. The key for these sections is to find out what/where triggers the balancing meter and avoid that place or action (with the logs, it’s the moss covered sections). This is BY FAR the hardest section to cross so if you can nail it you'll find the rest a breeze! View this video to watch me cross it:

The next log you need to cross with Chase is by a water fall. This one is a tad trickier because it’s longer and the placement of the log makes it hard to face the direction the log is going without being on the actual log. For this one you walk onto the log and then backup slightly so that you get as close to the beginning of the log as possible. The best way to know if you’re standing in the correct place is to press jump. If you can hop straight up you’re in the perfect position (once you get too far onto the log you’ll no longer be able to jump or roll so if you press jump and nothing happens you're in the wrong place). When you can still jump and you’re facing forward in the direction of the log you can jump forward and then right at the second when your feet land jump again and you’ll clear the log. This took me MANY tries because I often jumped into the waterfall or off the cliff. Unlike the first log this one gets easier the more times you do it. View this video to watch me cross it:

The next log after this one doesn’t trigger the balance meter so you’re good to go. There is a thin plank in the burning building in Chapter 4 but it's VERY easy to get past so I won't bother to go into detail on it(unless people request it). The next place I had an issue with was crossing a plank connecting two shacks in Guerro’s compound in Chapter 5. Once you get 2/3 across the plank there’s an explosion and that triggers the balance meter. This one is a bit trickier than the logs because once you get to the top of the initial shack it slows your walking down and you have limited movement. It actually won’t even let you jump off the edge. My solution for this one was to walk on to the plank and then back off it and position myself in the corner next to the plank. For some reason this seemed to give back some of my control. This plank requires 2 jumps similar to log in Chapter 2 but they are tricky to land. Most tries I ended up landing on the part of the plank that triggers the balance meter and I had to die and try again. Another way I was able to pass this was to make it just past the area where the explosion triggers the balance meter and if you’re further along then you were supposed to be you’ll get the meter and you’ll fall but you’ll actually land on the balcony below and you’ll be fine(plus there's a treasure there!). View this video to watch me cross it:

It may take a few tries but you’ll get it. After this there are a few other planks that you can easily over come by jumping/rolling or a combo of the two (one plank I think you can even hand on the edge and shimmy across). Once you get to Chapter 12 you NEED tilt controls so you’re shit out of luck. This is the level where you’re going down the stream and you need to tilt to avoid hitting the rocks. On Very Easy mode you can almost make it all the way without moving but sadly you die towards the end. This is where a PS Vita and the EML Memory Card Swap hack comes into play.

**if you’re logged into your PSN acct AND on the exact same firmware on both the PS Vita and the PSTV you DON’T need this step. **

If your Vita is running newer firmware than your PSTV quit the game and pop your Uncharted: Golden Abyss card and your memory card into your PS Vita. It will let you jump right in at the Chapter 12 start from your game save. This level takes 30 seconds to finish and there’s 3 treasures you can grab while you do it. Once the cut scene starts you can quit the game. Now we want to pick right up at this point on the PSTV but normally taking out the save card and putting it back in the PSTV would require we format the card to do so and thus losing our game save and that would be pointless. The reason it does this is because the VITA or PSTV writes a text document to the card that identifies the last PSN account and firmware to use the card. If the PSN accounts don’t match or the previous firmware is newer it doesn’t want, you to share the data. The EML Memory Card Swap hack blanks out the ID info on the card without erasing any of the game save data allowing us to put the Memory Card back in the PSTV and continue on with Chapter 13. So follow the instructions on this page to preform the EML Memory Card Swap Hack:

http://hackinformer.com/2015/06/26/how-to-swap-your-vita-memory-card-without-formatting/

I recommend downloading the file they supply instead of making your own because why create more work? lol

**The directions here are a bit unclear so many people get confused. You download the file but you don’t attach it and email it to your account. The file you download IS an email WITH an attached file (not a file to attach to an email). After unzipping it you “open” the file in Thunderbird (it’ll appear as if it’s an email you’re composing) and then FORWARD it to the email address of the email account you have on your PS Vita mail client. **

If this worked correctly when you put the Uncharted: Golden Abyss card and your memory card back in the PSTV you’ll be able to pick up right at Chapter 13. Continue on until Chapter 19 where you’ll encounter a plank that’s at the top of a ladder. It’s very long and you lose control of the camera (it will become fixed angle). I tried many times to jump/roll/hang/shimmy across to no avail. Eventually I figured out a trick that worked! If you stand just before the plank backwards and press the direction of the plank and the jump button at the same time you’ll turn around/jump and if you keep mashing the jump button again SOMETIMES it will let you jump again to complete the plank. I almost guarantee this one will drive you crazy. View this video to watch me cross it:

The rest of the game is a breeze from here so continue on as you normally would. The best part is that once you have the game beaten you can just skip the Chapter 12 in future play through. Alternately if you have already completed the game on your Vita and want to play it for the first time on your PSTV you can just use the EML Memory Card Swap hack AND the Whitelist hack and pop the memory card and game card into your PSTV and play through skipping Chapter 12.

Other concerns raised
    • Charcoal rubbings – easily completed using the L3 analog stick or the touchpad on the DS4.
    • Cleaning objects – also easily completed using the L3 analog stick or touchpad to clean and then press L3 & R3 to activate the pointer hands and press and hold L2 & R2 to grab the object then use the analog sticks to turn the object.
    • Light puzzle – solves automatically.
    • Machete cutting – Same as on the Vita.
    • Rotating puzzle pieces – Same as on the Vita.
    • Fighting bosses – Same as on the Vita.

Anyway I hope some of you find this helpful and if you see any mistakes in what I said please feel free to point them out. I’m only human and typos and errors happen (and I know half the internet is only online to point out mistakes). Also if you have any questions or concerns I’m here to help so definitely hit me up. Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people :) jk

**DISCLAIMER: I AM IN NO WAY STATING THAT I DEVELOPED ANY TOOLS INVOLVED OR CAME UP WITH ANYHTING NEW IN RELATION TO THIS GAME. I AM SIMPLY GIVING A TUTORIAL ON WHAT I FELT WAS AN EASY WAY TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT I WANTED TO ACCOMPLISH. I AM ALSO NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY REPERCUSSIONS THAT MAY ARISE FROM USING HACKS/MODS/ETC. ON YOUR PS VITA OR PSTV NOR AM I RESPOBSIBLE FOR YOU RUINING YOUR DEVICES**

atreyu187, pinky and DeViL303 like this.
  2. 12,016
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

interesting thread. I wasn't aware of the motion control issues with uncharted. I own the digital version of the game which was used solely to install rejuvenate. I haven't played the game thus far.

Curtis Day likes this.
  3. 6,951
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Nice first post! :)

Curtis Day likes this.
  4. 5,772
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Hi thanks for cross posting here. I figured you deserved the glory as the videos really make it stand out and easy to understand. Mr. Gas decrypted this games save. Now if only we could recrypt it back we could release a complete save so thst level could just be skipped to eliminate the need fir a Vita altogether. But again thanks for bringing this here as well from assembler.

Curtis Day likes this.