PlayStation Classic Hacked 3 days after release (And plays PC version of DOOM)

Discussion in 'PlayStation Classic (Mini-Console)' started by Cypher_CG89, Dec 7, 2018 at 10:35 AM.

1. 207
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, Cypher Elite Gaming
    After randomly looking through the net for interest things to read this thread on Wololo.net caught my eye.

http://wololo.net/2018/12/06/the-pl...after-its-release-and-of-course-it-runs-doom/

Just a mere 3 days after release the PS Classic has been hacked by multiple people already. One hack was broadcast live over the internet.

And one showing the PC version of Doom playing, so maybe some kind of Linux mod may come of this.

Also this post on PSXHAX.com may also be of interest to PlayStation Classic owners on swapping out stock games for you own on the new MINI by [email protected]

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/playstation-classic-is-hacked-ps-classic-game-swapping-videos.6152/

While my personal opinion is that you would be better off with a PC, PS3, Raspberry PI and such to run your old PSX games this is encouraging for those who have indeed went out and bought one or had one on pre-order.

The door to the possibilities of what can been done with it has already been kicked wide open for you.

EDIT: Added is a link on the detailed technical tear down of the PlayStation Classic, also from PSXHAX.com

https://www.psxhax.com/threads/playstation-classic-ps-classic-mini-console-teardown-detailed.6144/

EDIT2: After commenting below that I thought this was hacked from release day I now find this on Wololo.net (I might of missed this when first looking through the site). Famous PSvita hacker literaly drills holes in the motherboard trying to dump parts of the firmware. That is one major hard mod lol and kills the console.

http://wololo.net/2018/12/04/famous...classics-motherboard-heres-what-happens-next/

PS. Its easier to add the links than re-type in my own words what is in these posts and adding pictures for this topic at this moment in time as stuff is emerging rapidly and I don't have time at the min to sort this out into a decent read for people but will clean it up if/when I get time to.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:50 PM
    sandungas and Coldheart2236 like this.
  2. 1,050
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Was hoping this would come eventually, but this soon is almost unbelievable. Im happy to see so many big name devs on board right now. As always devs will make yet another sony console better than it was meant to be.

3. 207
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, Cypher Elite Gaming
    3 days? So we could assume that it has been hacked from release day (Day 1) and they have now shown us the 'proof of the pudding' so to speak. The fact there is no special encryption for the Classic and the fact it uses an open source emulator seems to be have definitely been a major flaw in the design, possibly the reason it has been so easy to crack open by the devs.

Have not read anything yet on a timescale for anything like tools or anything for general use or tutorials but from how quickly it was hacked we could hazard a guess as not being to long at all before devs release details on what can be done and how to do it.

The price of it is also steep, you could build your own using a PSX case and PSU, Raspberry PI and a few other things for less than what it would cost to buy this and would run so much more without it having to be hacked lol. It wouldn't necessarily be a PlayStation Classic per say but you would have the novelty and nostalgia of it being in an original PSX case and probably be quite a fun thing to build. (I might attempt it myself)

Edit: Also the mainboard of the PlayStation Classic looks suspiciously like a PS3 Slim mainboard in design similarity, so not even original ideas in this area. Even though its claimed by [email protected] as an original and unique design.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 1:53 PM
  4. 309
    TnA

TnA Member

Anyone tried a USB-Hub?

It would be interesting if we could use it as a Multitap and also add a USB-Device to it's, to boot ISOs off of there.