PS3 PlayStation3 (CECHC04) - YLOD or Not

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Naked_Snake1995, Nov 4, 2018.

1. 1,043
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    So while my other 60Gb its up to repairs almost a month due to the GLOD (Green Light Of Death), ive decided to browse my local businesses and bought another 60Gb - CECHC04.

To my surprise, this console was beat up, the previous owner tried to open it, and damaged the embossed sheild (nothing that cant be fixed).

So i fired up the console, and to my surprise, YLOD, but not just any YLOD, this machine starts when insisting with it, like 5/6 times, then it starts normally.

So i lost no time, to dismantle the console and get ready for a deep clean up, as usually, thermal paste replacement, as well under the RSX, but the console was full of dust and debris (so much for whom clamed to take care of it lol).

So after that, the problem persisted, but i lost no time to install Rebug on it, following with Webman at 37% fan, staying at a cool 49º CELL and 45º RSX (better than my previous 60Gb, although its been running from day 1 with COD marathons, kids these days).

Sometimes the PS3 would ocasionally shutdown, but not like in extreme situations, i am starting to suspect its the RSX (again), but i also suspect this time could be the bloody NEC/TOKINs behind the problem, as the PS3 doesnt have any issues powerin up, after i insist. But if it was the GPU it would already YLOD straight away and wouldnt power on, even if i tried.

One more addition to the topic, the PS3 would also flash a red light and 3 beeps like a YLOD situation, when i manually shut it down (pretty odd).

2. 113
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Dude, we need to go to 60gb rehab xD

3. 1,043
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    hqdefault.jpg
    Bloody hell mate, its already my 7th Unit! I might get a NTSC-J CECHA00 or a US CECHB01, if import taxes and the console cost wasnt a issue.

4. 113
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Lmao! Dude you crack me up!

That's too many 60gbs mate. I am on my 3rd wich is the Cech-A00 and If (touch wood) this ever breaks down on me, I don't think I can be bothered with buying another one.

If i were you, i would go straight for the Cecha or CechB units, as I found too many issues when running select PS2 games on my old CechC as it lacks the EE chip. I say, if you want these units, just do it right and get one with FULL B/C, right off the bat.

I must say though, I have been eyeing those SEALED 60gb units on ebay for like 3K. One can dream, my friend. Picking up one of these bad boys SEALED would be the ULTIMATE RUSH! XD

5. 1,043
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    The problem with the 60Gbs its that people use it as a media device, dont take care of them properly, thats why these units i had didnt last for a long time.

This one though, it has some sort of YLOD, but still works, which its a surprise, it shutdown on the XMB once, or even when starting,but overall seems fine, but i am not too confident just yet, but i have a working unit mainly for collection not for day to day use.

6. 113
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I thought more along the lines of that no matter how the user operated the console, as long as they purposefully didn't neglect the unit (not allowing proper ventilation etc) the units were basically destined to fail due to the cheap solder.

Random shutdown at XMB? Have you checked the HDD? Hopefully its something easy as a corrupt HDD. What do the temps run at?

7. 1,043
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I swaped the HDD, yes, this time it runs below 50ºs on both, which i am quite surprised.

It could have worked better, if the previous owner cleaned it more often, and it did play COD marathons (kids these days)

8. 113
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Below 50? Damn that's a freaking cool system. I've never seen that before.

9. 1,043
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Well below 50ºs would be a lie, but sometimes it hovers to 55ºs threshold, or a little higher, but never above 60ºs

10. 4,471
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Have you tryed other PSU ?
    I know a nice tutorial to use a ATX PSU on PS3... is just the lazy guys that made it didnt posted the pinout for the PS3 FAT connectors
    This is a typical behaviour with partially damaged capacitors
    The capacitor doesnt works fine when is cool, but when it warms up starts working, at the first 5 or 6 attempts to turn on the PS3 the capacitor starts warming up... and at the next boot is works
    Instead of 5 or 6 attempts it could be 10.... or 20...

There are a lot of capacitors, but the most prone to fail are the ones inside PSU
    Actually, as a first step you should try to open the PSU and try to identify visually if there is some capacitor inside either:
    -bulky
    -exploded
    -leaking acid at the base

Walter.C likes this.
  11. 1,043
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Thats enough, this time i shall sue you for copyright infringements :D

Now back to the topic, yes i tried another APS-227 i had laying around, same results, it might be the NEC caps or the RSX, i dont think its the PSU, as ive tested two of them ;)

sandungas likes this.
  12. 4,471
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

:D
    But the problem of the tokin caps is the other way around
    The tokin caps works fine when cool, but stops working if are stressed/warming

Yours is the other way around... doesnt works when is cool but if you warm it up (by the previous failed attempts to turn the PS3 on) it starts working