PS3 Playstation3's PS2 Emulator Compatibility List

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by blueagent, Jul 15, 2019.

1. 23
    blueagent

blueagent Forum Noob

2. 1,511
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

That list refers to ps2_netemu which is the entirely software-based emulator used on PS2 Classic games from the PS Store. In terms of models, ps2_netemu is used on all slim models, super slim and non-backwards compatible original fat model PS3s.

Basically, any game on that list which is compatible will work on any model PS3.

3. 23
    blueagent

blueagent Forum Noob

thank you so much for clearing this up for me!

4. 6,543
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The PS3 firmware includes several ps2 emulators, that list is based on the ps2 emulator commonly named "netemu" (the exact file name is ps2_netemu.self)
    All PS3 models can use the "netemu" emulator, the firmware selects it if the game has been packaged as "PS2 classics" (in PKG format, like the ones from the official PSN store)

Some backup managers can mount PS2 ISO games and tell to the firmware that it needs to be loaded with "netemu"... in this case the compatibility is exactly the same than the format "PS2 classics" of that list

-------------
    The first PS3 fat models had components from the PS2, so they had complete or patial compatibility with PS2... in this case the PS3 firmware uses a different PS2 emulator (not the netemu), and the compatibility is close to 100%
    In this case the list in the wiki page doesnt applyes

5. 23
    blueagent

blueagent Forum Noob

thank you so much for the detailed information!

i want to replay this old japanese ps2 game from childhood, but the dvd drive on my ps2 is broken, so i tried to load it with OPL, but it doesn't work. so i checked the OPL compatibility list here but the japanese ps2 game i have is not listed...

however when i checked the Playstation3's PS2 Emulator Compatibility List, my japanese ps2 game is indeed listed there, so i'm going to buy a PS3 console just to play this one ps2 game from childhood, and i wanted to make sure that i buy the right model incase i needed to do so.

6. 6,543
    sandungas

Well, you are not mentioning the game ID, so i guess you ask in general

Initially, if the game is listed in the wiki page colored in green as "playable" it means it works perfect in netemu (in other words, in all PS3 models)

One thing is needed to mention at this point is the netemu allows to use CONFIG files (are named that way in uppercase), inside them are commands, that works as settings for the emulator, or allows to patch some bytes of the ISO or the EE memory, etc...

Some of the games that was released officially in PSN had a CONFIG, you can make an ISO of your original disc in PC and use that CONFIG and the game should work perfect in netemu

There are other CONFIGs published in internet by people that found how to "fix" some problems... eventually some of that configs fixes the game completly and becomes "playable" in the list in wiki :)

For some other games there is no CONFIG... and is unknown if at some point someone will find a way to fix it

-----------------
    Overall... the compatibility of netemu is fine, there are many games that works perfect and others can be completed with some "minor problems", if you are fine with the compatibility in the list in wiki you can buy any PS3 model

Otherway, if you want to play a few selected games because are your favorites... or you want to have 100% compatibility then you need to buy one of the first PS3 models manufactured around 2007 or so
    Are hard to find, expensive, sometimes has been abused and/or had hardware problems, are hotter than other PS3 models, etc...
    Is like playing in other league... and the price you need to pay is either money to take it to repair for a good manteinance... or have good hands to do it yourself

7. 23
    blueagent

blueagent Forum Noob

whoops i'm terribly sorry for forgetting to mention the name of the ps2 game, its 'phase paradox', and the game id is SCPS-15005.

it doesn't work with OPL on the ps2 console, all i got was a black screen, and after rebooting the FMCB memory card got corupted and was wiped.

on the PS3's "netemu" compatibility list, the game is listed as only having a minor issue of occasional slowdown. so i figured, instead of buying another used ps2 being sold by dishonest seller that may again have a defective drive, i ought to just get a ps3 and go from there, since i only want to replay this one game again.

my most sincerest thanks and gratitude to you for sharing this concise and invaluable information to me, i truly am very grateful to you and for your help! thank you so much for taking your time in helping me! i am in your debt!

8. 6,543
    sandungas

Ok np :)
    Well, that game is marked as minor problems, and the description of the problems seems to be that you are going to have video and audio in "slow motion" if there are many characters in screen

Not sure how many times could happen that along the game so not sure if is going to be a huge annoyance or you can find a way to prevent having many characters on screen
    In the description it also tells that is needed to use 2 commands "L2H" and "force flip" (by loading the game together with a CONFIG file)

What we use to do (the scene unnoficially) is to keep a record of the config files, there are few tools and programs that contains a database with all the known config files
    Im not sure if there is a config in the databases for your game, but it can be made one with that 2 commands "L2H" and "force flip"
    Eventually someone could imagine other commands to add in the config to fix it completly... this is unknown but in the meantime seems to be playable and i guess can be completed

9. 23
    blueagent

blueagent Forum Noob

thanks so much for sharing your expert knowledge!

once i get a ps3 and if the netemu CONFIG file for this particular game doesn't show up in the database, and if the game doesn't work well without it, i guess i could default back to my ps2 console and order another FMCB card and try loading the game again, and pray it won't get wiped again.

thank you so much again for your help!

10. 6,543
    sandungas

Look, this is one of the programs that contains a huge database of config files
    https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/tree/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/sys/CONFIG

There are 4 groups... and because the config of this game should be unnofficial (a CONFIG file not made by sony because they never published that game in PSN as a "PS2 classics")... then the CONFIG should be located in the "CUSTOM" group... of this link:
    https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/tree/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/sys/CONFIG/CUSTOM

There is one for SCPS-15004 (dark cloud) but not for SCPS-15005 (phase paradox)
    You can check IDs here btw: https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Complete_List_of_Games

As i mentioned it can be made a config for it in a easy way by adding the 2 commands mentioned in wiki... but not sure... we are relliying in that sentence in the wiki page that tells that is "should" work with that 2 commands.... but we are not sure if is true, and we are not sure who wrote that... so wait a bit to take your decission of which PS3 model to buy

We can ask @kozarovv maybe he knows something about the config of that game... he is also our "inhouse" psx-place PS2 config wizard, he fixed lot of games using dissasemblers in PC to find the "bugs" and he made lof of configs :D
    so... if you ask him very gently maybe he could take a look at that game to try to make a good config for it

11. 52
    mrjaredbeta

mrjaredbeta Member

Hey, I was the person who made the compatibility report for Phase Paradox. The game works on PS3’s ps2_netemu, but the slowdown is very intrusive. This game is very graphically intensive for the PS3, and some scenes will take ages to get through. The game audio loads fine, but graphics face major slowdown at points. The audio will be finished during a scene, but some cutscenes will still take a minute or so to finish rendering (without audio). It is pretty bothersome, and I don’t think the PS3 is capable of rendering a game like this at full speed. That being said, this game does work on OPL and I have played it from start to finish on it. If you have any questions, let me know!

sandungas likes this.
  12. 23
    blueagent

blueagent Forum Noob

thanks! oh but its fine i don't want to bother him or anything, i mean it wouldn't be right of me to ask him to make something for me, i'm still new here and whatnot. since i haven't bought the ps3 console yet and i'm in no hurry, i'll just go order another FMCB memory card on ebay and try booting the game on my ps2 console again, once the fmcb card arrives.

ps: i've been looking around the local game malls here for a fat ps3 for awhile now, but all the game shops here only sell ps3 slims and the one shop that had a fat ps3, tried to rip me off by charging 300 dollars for it. i asked one of the shopkeepers and he explained to me that they don't let people trade in fat ps3s anymore because "it always breaks really fast, even after repairs", so i'm mostly stuck with the ps3 slims now.

i also tried looking for ps2 slims but the one shop that had one SCPH90007, it doesn't have with a working dvd laser, and another shop only had a broken ps2 for sale.

thank you so much for letting me know your first hand experience with the game on the ps3! i think i have an idea of how the game will run on the ps3. i'll keep trying with the ps2 on OPL but if it doesn't work i'll just go buy the ps3 and play it with that.

PS: forgot to mentioned that i tried loading the game on a USB stick earlier using OPL, and then the FMCB card got corrupted and Ps2 won't boot FMCB anymore.

thanks so much for all the help eveyone!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019