PS1 #PlayStationClassic Released & Hacked --- Everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'PS1 News' started by Roxanne, Dec 7, 2018.

By Roxanne on Dec 7, 2018 at 6:56 PM
  1. 270
    Roxanne

Roxanne Moderator

Home Page:
    And there it is. After other Console Developers like Nintendo, SEGA or ATARI re-released their older but wonderful and classic Home Consoles in it's new and tiny chassis marketed with some catchy words like "Mini", "Retro" or "Flashback", Sony decided "to jump on the bandwagon" by releasing their own Classic Console in a miniature format - namely the "PlayStation Classic". Announced back in September 2018, the PlayStation Classic is a dedicated version of the Original PlayStation (in short "PS1" or as you would know it as "PSX") providing 20 Classic Video Game Titles built-in. And while reviews from other video gaming journalists showed already that sadly, the PlayStation Classic is a bad example how to re-release a "Retro Console" compared to it's competitors, this Thread will help you with Everything you need to know about the Console itself, it's built-in Video Games and how fast several well-known Developers from other Sony Consoles are already tinkering with it to fix several Problems Sony was too lazy for and to provide additional Features like Emulators and other Homebrew etc.​

PSC vs PSX.png
    By keeping the Original Design, but smaller, the PlayStation Classics provides 20 Game Titles built-in while mirroring the same Button layout and logos - but 45% smaller than the Original Release back in 1994.

• PSC User Interface.png
      The User Interface from the PlayStation Classic is a homage to the Original UI used on the Original PSX with the same color scheme like in 1994.

With a price of 99,- USD (99,- EUR in Europe - 89,- GBP in United Kingdom - 9.980,- JPY in Japan), the PlayStation Classic comes with two wired Controllers. Sadly those are the Standard Controllers without giving any Analogue Sticks, or even a Vibration function, unlike the very first "DualShock Controller" for the PS1. And unlike the Original PSX (don't worry you don't need to search for your old AV/SCART cables from your basement :)), the PlayStation Classic provides a HDMI Output giving a 720p Output Resolution with 60 Frames per Second (FPS). But it is important to note that while it ships with a USB cable to connect it on a USB power source, a USB AC adaptor is NOT included so you will need to use your own, like from your Smartphone or from your TV built-in for example. You also won't need to search for your old Memory Cards since each Game supports it's own Virtual Memory Card giving the classic 15 slots. So technically you have 20 Memory Cards built-in - One Memory Card for each Game. It also supports the neat feature of Save States, so you can resume your Game wherever you need to without searching for Save Points with Cloud and his Friends inside the Northern Cave while grinding your Characters to Level 99. :)

• The review from Digital Foundry shows why the PlayStation Classic is sadly a "Disappointed" Approach of bringing the nostalgic Games back with the PlayStation Classic.

Sadly, we already have to speak about the bad things this "Mini-PlayStation" provides. While there was already a hefty discussion about the Gaming Line-up the PlayStation Classic provides with several well-known Classic Game Titles missing, the 20 Games built-in are barely optimized for giving you a 100% perfect and nostalgic experience like you had back in the 90's. While using a Open-Source Emulation solution - namely PCSX ReARMed - the PlayStation Classic shows several Problems during in-Game such as blurry and dithered effects, mismatching sound effects and the most important "bummer" is that several Games are provided as "PAL Versions". Especially the Users reading this Thread here in America will be surprised how slow several Games would run on this tiny machine and how bad this would be for your Gaming Experience. The Video above from Digital Foundry shows exactly how bad this Emulation solution, Sony has chosen, performs and even the other Games, which supports fully 60 FPS instead of 50 FPS only like the European PAL Versions does, has massive frame-drops compared to the Original Hardware and/or other Sony Devices supporting PS1 Games through Emulation.
      • Games included in all Regions (PAL Versions are in red color):
        • Battle Arena Toshinden (known in Japan as バトルアリーナ闘神伝 [Batoru Arīna Tōshinden])
        • Final Fantasy VII (the Japanese PlayStation Classic uses the "International Version")
        • I.Q.: Intelligent Qube (known in Europe as "Kurushi")
        • Jumping Flash
        • Metal Gear Solid
        • Mr. Driller (known in Japan as ミスタードリラー [Misuta Dorira])
        • R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
        • Resident Evil: Director's Cut (Bio Hazard Director's Cut)
        • Revelations: Persona
        • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (known in Japan as スーパーパズルファイターII X [Super Puzzle Figher II X])
        • Tekken 3
        • Wild Arms
      • Games Exclusive for North America / Europe / South Korea
        • Cool Boarders 2
        • Destruction Derby
        • Grand Theft Auto (GTA)
        • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
        • Rayman
        • Syphon Filter
        • Tom Clancy's: Rainbow Six
        • Twisted Metal
      • Games Exclusive for Japan / Taiwan / Hong Kong
        • Arc the Lad
        • Arc the Lad II
        • Armored Core
        • G-Darius
        • Gradius Gaiden (never saw a "Western Release" for the PSX, but for the PSP)
        • Parasite Eve
        • SaGa Frontier
        • XI [sái] (Devil Dice)

• Doom on PSC.jpg
      Thanks to @nvsofts, Doom is already playable on the PlayStation Classic (although it would be interesting to play this with the PlayStation Controller).

Not only the PlayStation Classic itself shows how little Sony was interested to implement a proper self-made and internal Emulation solution like they did for their previous Home Consoles, it seems that they didn't showed any interest as well when we speak about Security Features for this Device. Since the PlayStation Classic runs on bare-metal, it shows that you can observe the internals in both Hardware and Software very easily, which sounds very great. In fact, several well-known Developers from other Sony Home Consoles already showed what's possible to do Sony won't like you do. It's impressive to see, that there are already so many Achievements presented in the first week of it's release. The following list will give you a overview what is already known about the technical specifications from the PlayStation Classic itself, as for playing with the Software itself such as Dumping the Firmware or playing additional PlayStation Games, Sony missed to include by their own. I think we will see a bright future here for this device when we speak about Emulators and Homebrew.​

• Developer @v9938 dumps the Firmware used inside the PlayStation Classic
      • Developer xyzz shows the internal code from the Emulation Solution Sony modified to get it run on the PlayStation Classic which shows that Sony tested more Games during their Development
      • Developer @bakueikozo showcases a demonstration of loading additional PS1 Games not included by Sony
      • Developer @nvsofts presents that the Classic Doom is already running on the PlayStation Classic
      • Both Developers @yifanlu and @DaveeFTW also showcases how they were able to load additional PS1 Games on the PlayStation Classic
      • Developer @emuonpsp is showing more details about several "Debug Settings" used from the Emulator itself

• Getting to the "Debug Settings" by pressing a single button? This was never so easy as before.

But not only the Developers themselves shows the potential of this tiny device. It seems that even Sony itself allows everyone to dig into the internals from their PlayStation Classic very easy. How you may ask? Well, if you already own the PlayStation Classic, just plug a external USB Keyboard in one of it's USB slots used for the Controllers normally and press the "Esc-Button". You will be surprised how easy you can contribute as showed by the Team behind the YouTube-Channel "RETRO GAMING ARTS". Their video shows how many entries you get by tinkering with this device but also that even Sony was able to making things better with the Emulation itself (like with the 50 FPS PAL Versions implemented as explained before). But also Developers like @yifanlu showed together with @madmonkey how easy you can implement your own Games, Emulators, Homebrew or nearly anything else by your own. This shows how lazy (or how inexperienced) the Developers from Sony are during the Development of the PlayStation Classic. Even the decision to choose a Open-Source Solution for the Emulaton shows how they wanted to keep this device as cost-effective as possible, with the bad side effect for those who can't enjoy the Classic Games. It seems that the Homebrew and Hacking Community has to fix Sony's own mistake again like in the past.​

ps1_classic.jpg Handy PSC.jpg
    Quite handy the new PlayStation Classic, isn't it?

Our community is also already discussing about the possibilities with the PlayStation Classic. Our own Admin @STLcardsWS opened a dedicated Forum Section for the PlayStation Classic only where you are welcome to discuss everything related. I would personally welcome a discussion if the PlayStation Classic is even worth the money or to summarize the alternatives from the PlayStation Classic, especially compared to Sony's previous Emulation solutions like they used for the PS2, PS3, or even the PSP and PSvita. The PlayStation TV also looks like Sony's own competitor to the PlayStation Classic where many people already said that they don't need the PlayStation Classic when their PlayStation TV is already emulating their own PlayStation Library in a proper way. Also Thanks to User @GregoryRasputin, you can even share your own discoveries since he opened a new PlayStation Developer Wiki dedicated to the PlayStation Classic only. And lastly, User @Roxanne is also planing to expand her Compatibility Lists for the PlayStation Classic, which will be released very soon (UPDATE: RELEASED) and will give a great opportunity for everyone to contribute in both this Forum, as for the wiki. Again I have to admit that we will see great times here with this tiny toy.

So what do you think of Sony's approach for releasing the PlayStation Classic? You are welcome to discuss your opinions down below.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018

Comments

Discussion in 'PS1 News' started by Roxanne, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Grahf
      Grahf
      Sony Xperia Play does not play PS1 games at full speed and the emulation is very inaccurate. It's also not emulating them in HD. It's just 480p.
    2. Naked_Snake1995
      Naked_Snake1995
      I still do this day, have doubts on how the PSVITA emulates the PSP so well, since a PSP its running on a MIPS and a VITA on a Quad Core A9 chip.

Optimization its the key,Sony just drooped the ball with the Classic and used ReARMed as a main emulator,on a weak hardware,if they ported the PSP code over it,with the PS1 Classics it would do a much better job,since the hardware its 2 or maybe 4 times more powerfull than a VITA.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    3. Grahf
      Grahf
      Vita has the PSP CPU buil-in, so it doesn't emulate it.
    4. Naked_Snake1995
      Naked_Snake1995
      Wasn't the Tablet S and Xperia S doing the same thing? But on the contrary of the Xperia Play, was the first iteration on a PS1 Emulation running on a Phone,which expanded upon the Xperia S and Tablet S,which was a unique feature,but Sony quickly took it down on future firmwares,replacing them with PSM.

I owned a XPERIA S back in 2011,and let me tell you,it was a great experience playing with the built in HDMI,not to mention they're phones where sleek asf.

Shame they dont use to make good phones anymore,i always been a Xperia loyal user,in fact my last Xperia was the XZ model after switching to S8 about 3 weeks ago, Sony phones just don't cut in these days, removing features instead of adding.

Who knows maybe the XZ3 will win my trust,but right now Xperia for me its gone.

5. Naked_Snake1995
      Naked_Snake1995
      Really,i didnt know that,non that i was aware, i didnt find it on any schematics or datasheets.

6. kaluas
      kaluas
      I agree on the optimization point, its a good idea for the scene to port maybe Vita's Adrenaline on PSC, if that's possible.

But the other statement, 2 to 4 times more powerful seems kinda bold.
    7. Grahf
      Grahf
      It seems a lot of people can't see the diffrence between marketing claims and reality.

I can say that a Pentium II PC will run PS1 games at full speed and it will be the truth... from a certain point of view. I just won't add the resolution is going to be 320x240, it will apply only to a few games and full speed will be featured less than half of the time.

PS1 emulation is a complex topic. There is low-level emulation, high-level emulation, and everything in between. There is a ton of PS1 emulators and their popularity does not equal their quality. A lot of people can play PS1 games on their smartphones or tablets, but they don't actually measure accuracy and performance.

At the end of the day, you just have to ask yourself: do you want to play PS1 games the way they were meant to be played? If yes, you need to pick the options for that. You need to sift through cash grab attempts. Honestly, what gamer would want glitchy emulation, poor frame-rates and input lag? It's common-sense and it's pro-consumer if you demand the best from Sony.
      Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    8. Grahf
      Grahf
      You either didn't look hard enough or they were incomplete.

Flow and Yifanlu confirmed it years ago. PSV has the PSP MIPS processor built-in, so it doesn't emulate PSP and PS1 games, just runs them natively, like PSP. You can read it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/55lk8t/more_info_about_the_ps_vita_mips_cpu/?sort=new

Yifanlu said that the GPU from PSP is also likely built-in, but he didn't look for it.
    9. Berion
      Berion
      @Grahf Obviously PSV/PSTV doesn't run PSP games natively... Those processors are used for virtualisation, and the rest are emulated. An in case of PSX, it is fully emulated on PSP virtualiser.
    10. Grahf
      Grahf
      PSV runs PSP's CPU code natively, just like Yifanlu confirmed. It mostly likely runs PSP's GPU natively, too, but that wasn't confirmed because Yifanlu didn't look for it.

PSP does the same thing with PS1 games via its MIPS32 R4k-based CPU. Stuff like CD-ROM and Memory Card are obviously emulated in software, but the CPU code is done natively.
    11. Berion
      Berion
      And this in IT is called virtualisation. If there is splitting on boot level for different environments: different for PSP and different for PSV, then You could say it runs natively.
    12. Grahf
      Grahf
      I know what you're talking about. It doesn't matter how you call it, though. Vita enters a separate state of its firmware and that's the PSP "module". Sony didn't make the documentation for it public, but Yifanlu found the PSP CPU on Vita's SoC, so we know that at the very least the CPU code is done natively.
    13. Khabibov
      Khabibov
      I wonder if USB ports of this tiny PlayStation allow us to play games from external source :confused3:
    14. littlebalup
      littlebalup
      Xx11xx22xX, sandungas and Khabibov like this.
    15. Khabibov
      Khabibov
    16. sandungas
      sandungas
      Khabibov likes this.
    17. pinky
      pinky
      man, just when you thought sony couldn't get even cheaper -- the system doesn't come with an ac adapter, so you have to charge it otherwise. the ac adapter is less than $10, but wtf was sony thinking!?
    18. pinky
      pinky
      I've fiddled with the system a bit. if you launch a game, say Final Fantasy VII, the game remains in memory next time you turn on the system. you have to go through the game selection screen (button above the power button) to play another. I like that feature, since you don't have to go through main menu just to remain playing.

speaking of Final Fantasy VII, that game is ugly as hell. it's not aged well at all. ;) lol
    19. pinky
      pinky
      did I miss it or how much internal memory can this system hold? I recently hacked my snes classic. without a usb attachment, the system cannot hold every snes game. I think it's either 256 or 512MBs. the nes classic is capable of having all roms on the internal flash, so I'm curious. I probably won't hack my system, but I would be interested to know.

I'm not so impressed by the system. I bought Final Fantasy VII for the switch last night. it doesn't have achievements like the remastered version on the ps4, which I also own. however, it looks far better than the one on the ps classic. it just seems like Sony went with whatever was cheapest.
    20. Berion
      Berion
      GADATA (encrypted partition with games) have ~14GiB.