Please Help !!! (Hardware Issue?)

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by TinyInkognegroT, May 16, 2019 at 3:13 AM.

1. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Forum Noob

I realize the topic is old and there are other threads and repair guides, but I'm not seeing anything relative to my situation and im new to modded PS3…please hear me out !!
    So I bought a Launch PS3 Fat model ( CECH-B01) and its jail broken (Rebug DEX). When I got it, I wasn't informed that the fan had to be manually turned on as soon as I power on the console. I powered it on and it ran for maybe 5-10 min and I assumed the fan was really quiet. After the 5-10 minutes of being powered on, it shut off by itself and blinked red and wouldn't power back on until I powered it off with the back switch. When I powered it back on, the light comes on green then flashes yellow three times then back to green, but only stayed powered on for 5 seconds. During those 5 seconds, the fan would attempt to turn on then stop and the console would power off. I repeated this 3 times before a friend of mine (who repairs PS3 consoles) told me it was an overheating. We took it apart and the thermal paste on the heatsinks was wet and not dry. We jumped the fan with a jumper wire to have the fan running on high constantly. He evened out the thermal paste and put heat on the motherboard attempting to reball any disconnected soldering. He put it back together and we powered it on. The fan kicked on in high gear and stays there (very loud) but stays powered on, only it still flashes yellow 3 times at power up but doesn't flash red when I power it off. None of my programs load up (froze black screen) except the saved PS3 MODDED GTA and CoD…everything else freezes on a black screen. When I put a game in the disc tray, as it loads the disc the system seems to slow down and lags for awhile but never actually loads a game. Messaged the guy I bought it from and he said all the programs need to be updated. System firmware is 4.82 and since I can't get into Rebug Toolbox I can't say what version its firmware is…there's also some accounts on the system that seem sketchy by the look of the names :
    *Freeze
    *IClickYou
    *acc fix
    …and I cannot delete these as easily as any other account, but I can use them like a normal account.
    Can somebody please tell me what's going on here ?!?
    Programs :
    SEN ENABLER
    PSNinja
    WebMAN MOD UPDATER
    mmCM
    Rebug Toolbox
    …Refer to pictures for versions of these programs.
    I really appreciate any future help…please enlighten me !!!

Attached Files:

2. 645
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    Sorry dude but your PS3 is pretty much doomed, I would say just get a new as it will break within ~3 months, and that's a long time actually. Most likely your RSX is fucked up and therefore cannot run anything. Although, if RSX would be fucked up you would probably see random colors and stuff so idk really.
    Sounds like it's over to me atleast. :( That sucks dude.

Just going to mention I couple of guys here that might know more: @sandungas @DeViL303 @Naked_Snake1995

3. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

Shitt I hope the RSX isn't f***** up. I'm not seeing any different colours, what do you think would happen if I updated the programs via internet. I bought a yellow light of death copper shim kit that I was going to throw in it today and see how that works. I felt like the guy I sold that to me like that on purpose to make a quick buck.

4. 904
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Ill analyse the post and draw my own conclusions, for now i dont want to give any missinformation or silly myths, so ill make a list of possible solutions for the problems the lad mentioned :)

But its not the end of the world, the PS3 could still be alive.

TinyInkognegroT likes this.
  5. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

Hey I really appreciate it y'all because the seller went cold turkey on me with my questions and left me in the dark about it. So any help from you guys is greatly appreciated !!! Thank you

6. 617
    umart666

umart666 Member

i've never had a DEX but i think surely it can be restored like regular cfw in system settings?i'd start from there,then convert it back to CEX.

7. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

Seems like anything (homebrew programs, copied ISOs, inserted disks,) that needs to be loaded causes the system to freeze. I can turn it off either by pressing the power button or flipping the kill switch. Funny thing is even after the tear down and rig of the fan with a jumper wire, my copied ISO of GTA V played fine, but now it causes the system to freeze up. I'm going to take it apart and take photos to see if I or any of you see something wrong with anything inside.

Note: I also connected the system to the Internet via wired connection and attempted to update the programs but says they're all up to date with the latest version.

8. 617
    umart666

umart666 Member

if anything you can launch from xmb goes to black screen then it's the blueray drive (BD) issue and you can check the ribbon cable connecting the BD to the motherboard and if that doesn't solve the issue,you need to flash noBD cfw.

now,as i don't have any experience with the DEX system whatsoever,idk how to convert DEX to regular cfw and if broken BD plays a part in that.i suppose there's no noBD variant of the DEX cfw...

9. 4,266
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

You should make lot of temperature tests, take notes about all results and post them here in the forum
    Also, the internal hdd filesystem could be damaged, this could cause the games to not boot properly

But the priority is the temperature tests... forget about the hdd by now

10. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

I'm interested in your conclusion, have you approached or made one yet ?

So if I factory reset the system then what would happen with it being jail broken ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019 at 4:06 AM
  11. 617
    umart666

umart666 Member

it will reset and erase everything,you won't lose the jailbreak and/or DEX,but i honestly think you should investigate first on how to go back to CEX or other regular cfw from DEX.

12. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

Can I do that without going into Rebug Toolbox ? I can't open up any programs without it blacking out and freezing.

13. 617
    umart666

umart666 Member

then it's most probably a blueray drive issue.you should really check ribbon cable connecting the drive to the motherboard,i don't think there's a way to convert it back to a regular cfw without toolbox,even with a hardware flasher.nut again i neher had DEX system,even converted one.

14. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

PHOTO_20190516_205114.jpg PHOTO_20190516_204623.jpg PHOTO_20190516_204637.jpg

OK I'll do that when I get home in a few minutes....but do u still think I should factory reset it ? Nothing u think is wrong with the motherboard or HDD ? What should I be looking for on the ribbon cable ? While I have it apart, I'm going to go ahead and add some copper shims to the heatsinks and unrig that jumper wire on the fan...will I need another control fan utility program to run the fan?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019 at 4:06 AM
  15. 904
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Sorry for the late reply mate, i didnt have the chance to make a list yet. One question i have to ask you, why does the fan have a jumper, did the seller or perhaps you intended the fan to run,while the console was on stand-by?

Like some lads mentioned,why dont you try by factory-resetting the console,and after that reinstall Rebug 4.84.2 via Recovery Menu,just to make sure the HDD and the console its previous owner trace free?

16. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

Because the seller didn't mention there was a utility fan control program and that I had to manually turn on the fan using that program when I turned on the system. The system ran 3 to 5 minutes then powered off flashing the red blinking lights. I tried to power on the console a couple of more times but it would shut off as soon as the fan we tried to cut on, then it was back to the red blinking lights. So we added another wire to the fan wire and jumped it turn on the fan automatically when the system turns on... Only problem is it constantly runs on high so it's loud as hell.

If anybody's familiar with kester 951 and the cleaner that comes with ylod shim kit, what is each one used for? I know one is used for cleaning the old thermal paste but what's the other one for?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019 at 4:07 AM
  17. 617
    umart666

umart666 Member

i'd first get that system up and running before any irreversible mods.symptoms you've described point really,really strongly to blueray issue,especially since you've said that you got somethings working,then i supose you did that fan mod and now you can't get anything running.that really implies that you've messed that ribbon cable connection,and hopefully ensuring that it's connected properly will resolve issues with going to black screen.then you can go to toolbox,dump your key and hopefuly convert it back to CEX and reinstall and restore normal cfw,then you can deal with hardware mods.

18. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

No my programs were running after I did the fan mod, it was just loud as hell. So I stopped playing it for a while and now my programs are not running. But I'm here now so I'll show you what that ribbon cable looks like after I add this thermal paste and copper shims real quick

19. 617
    umart666

umart666 Member

pics won't hurt but you really need to ensure that cable is inserted properly as it's very,very finicky.

20. 26
    TinyInkognegroT

Okay I installed the copper shims and reset the PS3 system. I'm still jailbroken with rebug I just don't have toolbox or any other Homebrew programs. How do I install the programs again or are there other programs that are relative to those programs that you may recommend better better? I really just want a bunch of emulators for classic games up to what PS3 can handle and something like multi-man where I can copy ISO files from the game disc ?