Please Help !!! (Hardware Issue?)

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by TinyInkognegroT, May 16, 2019.

1. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Forum Noob

No more 3 flashing yellow lights at startup either and the Blu-ray Drive is reading and playing games from the disk. The fan is still loud though, couldn't I just buy another fan and replace it to Kill The Noise or would I still need a fan control program installed?

2. 914
    umart666

umart666 Member

i'd strongly suggest to covert your system back to cex first,and get it on latest 4.82.2 rebug rex.after that you should get some more taxing game for the system like gtaV,the last of us etc and take note of the temperatures while in game.if you're in the safe zone i'd get rid of the fan mod and see first if syscon(default fan profile) is enough to keep it cool,as sony favors acoustics and if not you can control it with webman MOD or similar software.in my experience at this point all fats almost surely need delidding at least of the RSX chip and changing the thermal compound between the chip itself and IHS (not too terrible thing to do by yourself),cell is much more finnicky to delid however it isn't that critical as it can whitstand higher temperatures.

3. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

OK I came across another problem...I installed control fan utility and removed the jumper wire. Powered on the system and jumped straight to the program to turn on / up the fan and turned up the fan levels ...but the fan didn't adjust and the temperature rose and I turned it off. I can jump the wire again for short term use, but why isn't the fan turning up when I turn it up in the program ? How can I just have a quieter automatic fan instead of the manual one ?

PHOTO_20190518_115446.jpg

Also what's the difference between DEX and CEX ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
  4. 914
    umart666

umart666 Member

if you don't know if and why you need dex,use cex.

5. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

OK will that fix the fan issue too ?

"CEX simply means retail. When you hear CEX to DEX, that means retail to developer. It also is the same as CFW, just a different name."

Setting it to "Retail" will turn on the fan on automatically or I'll still have this fan issue ?

6. 914
    umart666

umart666 Member

no,firmware won't affect it,you need to reverse it to be able to use software control again.on the software side,webman MOD has really nice GUI and all of the options you'll need for fan control.

7. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

By "reverse it" do you mean the fan firmware or system ? How can I switch back to software ?

Not understanding what you mean by reverse it. Are you talking about the way the fan is wired, or reverse from Dex to CeX, or... What am I reversing here? And I can't just download webman mod and have my fan running automatically like that?

OK before I can install webman mod, I had to re jump the fan wire to keep it cool while I do that. Take a look at the pics, is this fan the original fan or a mod or upgraded fan ? Downloading webman now and about to install it. Even if have the wire jumped can i still adjust the fan speed to see if the program will even work? Before I take it apart again to remove the jumper wire to only find out the program doesn't control the fan, taking chances of it overheating and having to take it apart AGAIN to re jump it... PHOTO_20190518_192107.jpg PHOTO_20190518_192107.jpg PHOTO_20190518_192717.jpg

Attached Files:

8. 914
    umart666

umart666 Member

i'm not familiar with that mod,by reversing it i mean to undo the mod and return all to stock.all of the fan mods are unecessary anyway,they don't adress the main cause of the problem - dried up paste between the chip itself and IHS.

return it to stock and if you have issues with temps delid your chips.

9. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

That isn't a mod lol thats a jumper wire to keep the fan on high running constantly (loud). But how can I reverse the fan ? By removing the jumper wire and running it how it was originally ? I did it that yesterday and the fan barely ran, almost burning up the PlayStation. If I reverse it, what can I do to get the fan to keep the system cool ?

I have webman mod installed but when I click on it to open it the system reboots back to xmb. I also have webman Launchpad installer, but it tells me that my firmware version is not supported. Is the version I've downloaded too new for my firmware? I also switch the system through a red bug toolbox from Dex to CeX ( Debug to Retail, DEX to CEX QA, then reboot). Maybe I downloaded the DeX version instead of the CeX? The Rebug Edition PS2 Launcher isn't working either, "an error occurred during the start operation." I have PS2 downloaded ISOs to play or copy to the hard drive and my PS3 Model (CECH-B01) is fully backwards compatible...do I need this program to boot the ISOs or can I just use webman or some PS2 emulator for PS3 ?

UPDATE : AFTER REBOOT, EVERYTHING WORKS...except, the fan turning on with the system and turning it up enough to keep the system cool and quiet as possible. Now I just need to find real ps2 ISOs that mmCM can find and emulate and copy to HDD (if possible)

10. 914
    umart666

umart666 Member

you're rushing everything.man.to be able to mount ps2 iso's (or iso's in general) you need either cfw with cobra or you need to install payload on current cfw.

if you're on cex now just flash latest rebug and everything should work out of the box.webman MOD works perfectly on it.remember that ps2 iso's need to be on internal drive.

11. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

I have Cobra enabled on Rebug tool box. I have ISO files on my USB drive. Am I not able to copy from flash drive to HDD via Webman ?

12. 914
    umart666

umart666 Member

i don't use webman MOD to copy things over,i know it has some kind of file manager but because i use ftp i didn't test it myself,so i can't comment.irisman is my tool for anything else on the ps3 (including file manager).

13. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

What would i need for ftp transfer ? OK I'll try irisman too

14. 914
    umart666

umart666 Member

15. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

My rebug and Cobra firmware are out of date and there are new updates. How can I update it? I downloaded the update from their website and the toolbox package file, but the update is compressed in a zip file and when I extract it the only thing in it is a .txt doc. Do I just put the zip file on a flash drive and update it that way? I know that the QA has to be enabled, is there anything else I need to know to update it safely?

the system is recognizing the PlayStation 2 ISO but the Cobra firmware is out of date, which is why I'm going to update rebug all together. Just need to know what I got to do to keep it from crashing while I update it

My Rebug CFW is 02.03.02 Cobra 7.55 PS3 System Firmware is 4.82 DEX PHOTO_20190519_090411.jpg

Capture+_2019-05-19-19-41-16.png New Rebug CEX update 4.84.2 REX, Cobra 8.1, and Toolbox 2.03.02

16. 961
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    I use 4.82.2 Rebug on my 60Gb,and i dont compain :rolling:

17. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

I have downloaded PS2 games online that I'm trying to load and play using mmCM file manager but when I attempt to use them it tells me...

OKAY NEVERMIND THE PS2 ISO PROBLEM!! I just had to create a folder on the ROOT of the flash drive and name it PS2ISO and it copies to the HDD.

Now my only problem is the noisy fan and getting it quiet while it keeps my system cool...? Any input on that ?

Attached Files:

18. 961
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Look i am going to try to be blunt here mate, what you do and where do you get your Software Titles, thats really up to you, if you read the rules carefully, you would realize, that we do not condone piracy,nor accept it. So please, next time be more careful with postings, dont share or endorse any form of piracy, support the original software titles.

I am going to be neutral on this post, and i am not going to go ban-hammering, because i dont have that kind of authority, there are admins for that purpose,but consider this as an advice, for a good relationship with this community we all share :)

19. 65
    TinyInkognegroT

My bad good looking out !!

20. 914
    umart666

umart666 Member

honestly dude,get that poor system to the decent professional.