PS3 PNG to GIM

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Danxx444, Sep 22, 2019.

1. 705
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

I need to convert this image in png to GIM format ... however..I need a program for that..I have rcomage that has some GimConv applications, but the problem is that when I open the application and press some button it closes. I need to convert this image (in png )that has the resolution of 1920x1080:
    ged0iq.png ... I want to add it to the gameboot ... since it has a full HD resolution ... but the problem is that the rco can be even bigger ... which can cause some problem..unless the size of the rco does not matter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. 11,933
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I don't know if you can have an image larger than the default gameboot size. I might've tried it, but I can't remember. you can manipulate the size of the image though, with scaleHeight and scaleWidth iirc. it's been years since I've messed with it, but I believe those are the two values that affect it. due note, it will make the image look more blurry, the larger you get. you don't have to increase the size that much for it to be full screen either.

3. 705
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Well ... the PLAYSTATION 3 logo with the spiderman font has a resolution of 1200x128 ... I downloaded this logo because it is in excellent resolution ... the best I could find ... it would be very nice to use it as gameboot ... I think Sony should not have removed the gameboot ... just replace it with this logo..as they changed the PS3 font.

4. 11,933
    pinky

I assume the reason they removed it was the release of the slim. the slim was released with 2.70 fw I believe, and the gameboot was removed after 2.76. the vflash on the internal hdd is limited in size, and those audio files take up like 1MB+.

5. 705
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

I think that was the reason ... but I also have in mind that they removed it ... because maybe it would be kind of "weird" to remain the gameboot with the spiderman font ... and the PS3 had changed the font style .

6. 11,933
    pinky

one of the biggest problems is that the ps3 tries to do too much, especially cosmetically, and it's poorly optimized, so the system is always a hair away from crashing. comparing the system to the 360, I've never had the 360 crash unless a game was corrupted, but it's also more dangerous to mess with. xell could be considered a recovery menu of sorts. it's the first 50 blocks of the flash, so unless something messes with that, you would be safe modding that system too, though I've never really messed with my system beyond fakeanim. I have both the default animation and the fakeanim playing together. I was too lazy to rename the bootanim. anyway, the 360 uses a third as much ram for the operating system, so games like gears of war would be impossible to play on a retail ps3. I foresee major problems if that game had been ported.

Danxx444 likes this.
  7. 705
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

@LuanTeles managed to add the "PS3 Pro" logo as gameboot ... I don't know how he did it..but I wonder if he can tell me how he did it or if he could do with this image.

pinky likes this.
  8. 11,933
    pinky

possibly. I haven't messed with modding the ps3 for about three years, so I'm basing this on memory.

Danxx444 likes this.
  9. 6,904
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Try this: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/adding-rco-image-files.2867/

Or just use rcomage 1.9 by randomdue to dump and compile the rco with the new image, it will handle conversion settings.

jeka26 and Danxx444 like this.
  10. 2,652
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    No they don't.... they take up less than 500KB for both the stereo and multi ac3 files for the gameboot. The coldboot ac3 audio files take up 1.52MB.

GIMConv is a command line tool so you will need to open command prompt in that folder, just type cmd in th folders address bar and it will open command line in that folder, and put the png in that folder, remame the png to " tex_ps3logo.png". The gameboots gim format is DXT3.

For command line GimConv syntax is:

Code:
    gimconv tex_ps3logo.png -o tex_ps3logo.gim -ps3dxt3
    (You could just copy this and Ctrl+v paste it into the cmd window for quickness)

Then use RCO Mage to extract the RCO but make sure to untick GIM to PNG convertion before you do it then just swap out the ps3logo.gim with the one you have made and then recompile the RCO and test it.

I did a quick converstion of your image to GIM and its about 1.56MB in size> this I think will cause issues as there isnt much room in dev_flash and RCO's can have size limits.

What you could do is half the size of the image> but keep its aspect ratio. Then do a GIM converstion on the half size image and see how big this file is, then you can use an attribute in the custom_render RCO XML > size override for tex_ps3logo> to double the size of the image on screen.

Tidjane Ly, sandungas and Danxx444 like this.
  11. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    You wont be able to do a fullscreen image, anyway you dont need to. You can create a fullscreen black background easily in rco like this:

Code:
    <Plane name="black_fullscreen" posX="0" posY="0" objectScale="0" redScale="0" greenScale="0" blueScale="0" alphaScale="1" width="0" height="0" posUnknown="0" scaleWidth="5" scaleHeight="10" elementScale="1" iconOffset="0x0" onLoad="nothing" unknown17="0x0" unknown18="0x0" unknown19="0x0" unknownInt20="0x1029c" unknownInt21="0x1029d" unknown22="0x120" image="nothing" unknownInt24="0x0"></Plane>
    Then you need a small image with transparent background to display in the center.

upload_2019-9-22_23-44-35.png

You probably wont be able to have it that big either, we are quite limited in the rco. I recommend have it about 50% of the size you want it, then have it scaled up to the size you want using the rco values.

Code:
    scaleWidth="2" scaleHeight="2"
    You can play around and see what the max resolution allowed is then scale it up the rest of the way, try stick to same amount of pixels as original or close to it. It will just show a white square if you make it to big, it will also show a white square if you have gimconv settings wrong.

12. 2,652
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    hmm... forgot you could do that....:sang banghead:

Danxx444 likes this.
  13. 705
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Hmmm...i got it now...thanks pal

14. 705
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Look to tell the truth ... i'm not creating a new gameboot ... i just want to add this to the logo that sandungas did ... it activated gameboot, coldboot and otherboot ... i'm just going to change the gameboot image for this ... since the rco he made has the ideal animation for what I want to do.
    I just don't know if I need to add this black background you mentioned.
    Would a resolution of 250x250 be good for this logo? I don't have photoshop skills ... but I will try to do my best ... what I don't want is to lose the quality of the logo.

Itroublve Hacker likes this.
  15. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    That does not make much sense logicially, flash is limited, vflash is not really. Really its the other way around, they were limited on flash space on phats, to just 256MB. Now on the slims with vflash they can make it any size they want. So in theory slims are less limited, in reality they have exactly the same amount of space to work with as that is the way Sony set it up.

Ah come on I gotta call bullshit on that? Have you any examples of it being a hair away from crashing and of them "trying to do too much" and being "poorly optimized" for the hardware.?

In my experience it has about 100 items on the XMB in OFW, I can increase that to thousands of items before we see any issues with the GUI, also it has enough GPU to handle thousands of particles, looping wave animations, enough spare cpu for background ftp, background web server.

What exactly do you mean by poorly optimized, and trying to do too much cosmetically?

Are you seriously going to try say the 360 is a better machine cosmetically or any other way?

Tidjane Ly and Danxx444 like this.
  16. 11,933
    pinky

17. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I know that of course, my point was that they could have made it any size they wanted when they created system, they chose to make it the exact same size as phats, for obvious reasons. So both systems have exactly the same amount of space to work with. Therefore space is not the reason why they changed the game boot.

18. 11,933
    pinky

there are a few articles talking about how the ps3 was using 120MBs of ram just for the os. by contrast, the 360 uses 34MBs. they managed to cut it down by about 50MBs, to 70MBs (maybe a little lower). this is the reason for no cross-chat among other things (not enough resources). and, it could be the reason why the gameboot was removed. it may not add up to much, but every little bit counts.

19. 6,904
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Look you would really want to at least have your facts straight if you are going to bitch about Playstations on here, and if you don't have any basis for your points then expect some push back.

It seems you are saying because the PS3 GUI/OS uses more RAM than a 360 this means that the PS3 is "always a hair away from crashing..and that is one of the biggest problems on the ps3"?

Also you seem to be saying because the newer models only have 256MB space on vflash this means it cant hold as much data as 256MB NAND and it probably is why they removed the gameboot,

So a question, does the gameboot use too much RAM or too much vflash in your opinion?

It almost seems like you don't get the differences between the Xbox2 and a PS3. For example the 360 playing a windows WMV video for its boot animation compared to the maths involved in an infinitely changing wave and particles created with just code. They are not even worth comparing IMO. If you have not guessed, the PS3 could play an intro video easily if Sony had wanted to do something so boring and simple.

This is a bit like when you were comparing the WiiU controller battery life to the DS4, completely ignoring how simple the Wii pad is compared to a DS4 when it comes to technology, you are not comparing like with like, same with comparing a 360 to PS3.

It has exactly the same amount of space available as the original PS3. It is perfectly capable of running much more than the gameboot animation as I have proved with my 15 minute animation scripts with new MNU overrides triggered every 100milliseconds, this is on a slim with vflash BTW, not that it makes any difference.

Don't forget that 256MB is always 256MB regardless of the storage medium and that the gameboot plays before the game starts, when there is plenty of RAM available according to your own figures of 120MB being used.

To finalize my point, there is a very good reason that the Playstation 1 AND Playstation 2 AND Playstation 3 AND Playstation 4 and PSP all completely outsold the Xbox360/Xbox One and its NOT because they are poorly optimized. RANT OVER! :)

Itroublve Hacker likes this.
  20. 5,754
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The best way to know the sizes and positions is to take a frame from a video of the real PS4 boot
    [​IMG]

And overlap it with this: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/File:Page_gameboot_1080.png
    [​IMG]

The original is located at position X=0, Y=0 and have a size of X=1200, Y=128

And the image you want to add should be located at X=0, Y=0 and it needs to have a minimal of X=150, Y=150 X=300, Y=300 (im cropping it as an square because this is more convenient, it simplifyes things)

Your image should have only white pixels (you need to remove all the black)
    And the rest of the black background should be made like what @DeViL303 said :encouragement:

And btw... when you create a GIM his size should not be considered as something definitive, keep in mind the GIM is going to be compressed with ZLIB, and some images have a compression ratio a lot bigger than others

As example... if you have an image filled with pure black pixels (value 0x000000), then the GIM is going to contain huuuuuuuge areas filled with zeroes... and the ZLIB algorithm is going to do a brutal compression in them

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Danxx444 and Itroublve Hacker like this.