Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Possible Brick

Discussion in 'PS3Xploit CFW Installer ( PS3 25XX Models & Lower)' started by fredlex, Feb 28, 2018.

1. 11
    fredlex

fredlex Forum Noob

Hi everyone. I was following a guide using PS3 NOR Flasher 2.0 in order to install CFW on my PS3 Slim. I followed every step, I dumped and stored away my NOR memory backup, I started the exploitation and patched the NOR flash memory. I had a "SUCCESS" message...however after rebooting my PS3, my system seems to be bricked somehow. The PS3 does not turn on, the red light becomes green for 1 second, it says a single "bip" and then it dies out. The light goes off, there is neither a green one nor a red one.
    Since I produced a (hopefully) valid NOR dump.hex file, how should I proceed now to recover my console?
    Thank you in advance!

2. 1,805
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

We have a thread going here that should help you out.

3. 11
    fredlex

fredlex Forum Noob

Ok, thanks. I read a little bit that thread but it seems that the main problem is quite different: my PS3 is compatible (3.56 with MinVerChk), I double checked it before going with the flashing stuff. What I principally need to know is if I need to BUY an external device such as an E3: I never used anything like that and I am afraid I will not be able to use it. The thread owner already possesses an E3 from what I understood, so my main issue is whether I need to buy or not an E3 and above all else WHERE should I buy safely such a device.
    Thank you again for your patience.

4. 1,805
    pink1

The info in that thread will still be helpful to you. Using a flasher with your good backup or taking a new dump and patching the CoreOS should fix any brick from PS3Xploit. The guys made it so a full brick can't happen.
    Did you use py checker tool to validate a dump before rebooting?

The big thing to do now is read up on using a flasher so you'll be ready. When the time comes take it slow and remember to never flash anything to your ps3 if you're not sure it's good.

5. 11
    fredlex

fredlex Forum Noob

There is still an issue: I do not have a flasher, neither I know how to use it nor where to buy it.

6. 1,805
    pink1

It's up to if you think this is something or if it would be best to have someone do it for you.
    I know here in the us you can have an E3 within a few days. I'm not sure if the guys here have any shops they recommend buying from or not.

DeViL303 likes this.
  7. 8,026
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

This will give you an idea of what you would need to do, its not difficult, you just need to be careful, you will not be downgrading to 3.55 but its a similar process.

8. 11
    fredlex

fredlex Forum Noob

Thank you for the videos, they are very interesting...however I still do not understand what my problem can be, neither I can buy a service or a solution for a problem that I do not know.
    With all the information I provided, is there any possible diagnose for my PS3?

9. 1,805
    pink1

The only way to really know what went wrong would be if you have a dump from after you ran the exploit.
    When you run the exploit it patches part of the OS if something is wrong with the patch file it will brick the ps3. That's why in v2.0 they started recommending dumping and testing your flash before rebooting.
    The only 3 ways that I know of that PS3Xploit can cause a brick
    1. is from running on a system that gets anything >3.56 with MinVerChk.
    2 is from running on a system that is already on CFW.
    3. is from a bad patch.
    From what you've told us it sounds like #3 but like I said unless you have a dump from after running the exploit no one can tell you 100%. I hate to sound like a salesman but the good news is that any of the 3 can be fixed with a flasher.

I understand wanting to know exactly what went wrong & I wish I could tell you for sure.

DeViL303 likes this.
  10. 11
    fredlex

fredlex Forum Noob

Yes, I also think this is a point 3 issue: I never patched that PS3 before, it was not running a CFW and of course I tested it with MinVerChk and it resulted 3.56 sharp.
    I have my dump log on my pc...can I link it to anyone or should I send it via PM?
    Oh wait, I had to edit it...a dump from AFTER the exploit? How can I produce it??

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  11. 1,805
    pink1

The dumb from after the exploit would have had to be made before you rebooted the system.
    Dumping and checking the dump after the exploit and before rebooting is one of the recommended steps and I’d say maybe the most important. By doing that we can fix a problem using rop without the need of a flasher.
    I think too many people are skipping that step. If we can get everyone to to do that one last test before rebooting we shouldn’t see another brick.

bguerville likes this.
  12. 11
    fredlex

fredlex Forum Noob

I see, I am so sorry that I have skipped it, it was not mentioned in the guide :( It just said that after the flashing, the system would have rebooted by itself with 3 beeps. After that, I would have been able to install the CFW...so basically I got the "success" message and I thought I was good to go.
    So basically, long story short, now it is impossibile to get an "after-exploit" dump, isn't it?

13. 1,805
    pink1

No need to be sorry. It sounds like you used an old guide because v1 would power off with 3 beeps now with v2 we have that extra safety step.
    Most of that last post was for everyone. You are far from the first that didn’t do that part and it seems like you tried to what you were told, outdated info can be a killer.
    The only way to get a dumb now is with a flasher. We could see what went wrong but at that point it’s not much help.

14. 7,851
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

http://www.ps3xploit.com/help/writer.html

Look at the recommended steps (extracted from the web page):

pink1 likes this.
  15. 11
    fredlex

fredlex Forum Noob

Well, I used an Italian guide from a well-known Italian forum which basically points to your community.
    I just trusted my fellow compatriots, that's all. I never said that your guide did not warn me about the step I missed :(
    Anyway, I used BwE NOR validator on my dump and it surprisingly says that my ps3 was not downgradable...how can it be? (3.60 instead of 3.56). I double checked that my PS3 was >3.56 before proceeding...

Tags: