PS3 pre-YLOD behavior and High Temps after CFW

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Lambada, Jan 9, 2019.

1. 102
    Lambada

Lambada Member

Hello guys, something happened with the light of the power button.
    I don't know if it is a pre-YLOD sympthom.

After I exploited my PS3 and I installed Ferrox 4.83 CFW, I configured everything that I wanted.
    Essential APPs like Managunz, File Manager, PSN Patch, Control Fan Utility, OpenPS3FTP Plugin, Retroarch were installed.
    Then I transfered (openps3ftp-ntfs plugin and filezilla) 1 ps1 game, 1 ps2 game and mame and console roms collection with all of respective thumbnails from liberetro to use with retroarch. It was a lot of files and my PS3 worked for hours. I split this activities in 4-6 hours breaks.

Here we are in the summer (and this week was very, very unnusualy hot) and between this transfers I took a look at the Control Fan Utility and it displayed almost all the time temps between 50-60 celsius for both cpu and rsx. Once it got 71-72 celsius and temp text started to blink in Control Fan Utility, so I concluded that it was a warning. And because of that I started to take some breaks (and turned the air conditioner to a very low temp, 17 celsius) because it was many, many files transfered to my PS3 to get it all configured for retro gaming.

The next day I concluded the rest of the file transfers and hours later I decided to give it a try.
    I powered on my PS3 and started to browse PSX-Place and other bookmarks through the Web Browser. After that I returned to the XMB and before I tried to open Retroarch I have realized that the light of the power button was changing gradually from green to white, like a gradient. I took a close look and between these changes, it looked like the yellow color appeared for a brief time and then it turnt to white and then again to green, etc. A very soft transition from the colors.

I got worried and checked the temp at the Control Fan Utility, it displayed about 71 celsius for CPU and RSX and it was blinking (like a warning). I turned my PS3 off and waited for 15-30 minutes. This time I turned my Air Conditioner ON (it wasn't).
    I turned my PS3 on and waited for 5 minutes or less I think, and the same light behavior was happening. I checked the Control Fan Utility again and the temps this time was fine, something between 50-60. Then I tried to change the speed from PAYLOAD to mode 1 (maximum speed) or mode 2 at some speed like 90 or something (don't remember, but it was faster than default), after this settings the light behavior was gone, the color was an intense green. So I tried to change to PAYLOAD (default speed?) and the light behavior was back.

Any thoughts? Is it normal? Am I good? Any advice? :)
    What are the maximum temps for PS3 (the safe range) and what temp should I worry or prevent to not pass that?

My PS3 is Slim CECH-20xxA (late 2009).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. 102
    Lambada

Lambada Member

I was thinking, if maybe the problem is with the LED lifecycle, maybe the light of the power button is not OK and there's no YLOD.