Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

prevent my external hard drive from shutting down

Discussion in 'PS3HEN (nonCFW PS3 Models)' started by Ddamiann, Jun 13, 2019.

1. 16
    Ddamiann

Ddamiann Forum Noob

novice technician
    hello I returned with more queries for you amazing community, I come to consult if there is a plugin or something that prevents my external hard drive from going into sleep mode (My disk), I mean when I go to someone and leave my game paused by 5 minutes or less (I do not know how long I need to enter sleep mode) it freezes and does not continue to force me to turn off the ps3. I dedicate this because sometimes, in the case of leaving it unused for a long time, the light that emits when transmitting information is turned off.

So I thought of a patch or a plugin that helps to avoid such action. I hope you have such a plugin.

2. 16
    Ddamiann

Ddamiann Forum Noob

novice technician
    I forgot my hard drive here

3. 6,001
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Some backup manager does it, irisman have an option named "USB wakeup" that you can enable and select the time interval in between the "wakeup" events
    You know... every X seconds it does a read access to the hdd to keep it spinning... that X time could be different for every hdd brand or hdd model so you can configure the time

In other backup managers i dont remember how is made or if can be configured

Coldheart2236 and Algol like this.
  4. 16
    Ddamiann

Ddamiann Forum Noob

novice technician
    I have irisman but I use webman Mod, should I start irisman to only have the "usb activation" enabled or just configure it enough?

5. 6,001
    sandungas

I think by now is better to dont use webmanmod and irisman/multiman together in HEN, there is people reporting incompatibilities in between them

If you like webman use webman only

Algol and atreyu187 like this.
  6. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

you can also try with various hdd utilities on the pc to configure both power and acoustic management in the firmware of the hdd itself.what can be done and/or edited depends on the model of the disk itself,put most of them and especially 2,5" hdd have full set of options.

HDDScan is the app i use for it (it can be found in tools-features menu) but hdd sentinel has similar capabilities.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    sandungas and Algol like this.
  7. 6,001
    sandungas

Good advise btw, thats something all us should take a look, im used to PC hdd tools but i never worryed much about it because:
    -The internal hdd of my PS3 (a toshiba 320gb) is the one that came from factory, so i guess they configured it
    -I have a toshiba canvio USB 2TB as external, but i never play games from it, the only thing i do with it is to 1) connect it to the PS3 2) copy the game to internal 3) then i turn off PS3 and disconnect it

But yeah, what you mentioned is something very convenient... either for internal hdd or external usb hdd we should disable all power reduction features, is better to have the hdds "always ready"... also the noise reduction is something handy, i hate noisy hdd's :D

8. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

that really depends,i don't mind and actually prefer couple of my discs to shut themselves off in firmware as they are used rarely and are connected always for quick access.windows has that feature (if disks firmware and sata/ide controller supports it) but if the discs themselves are used on various systems beside windows it's quite handy to have all of the features in firmware.but you should really only worry about it if like OP have specific problem or scenario that can be resolved that way.in all other scenarios hdd's are configured ideally for that disc from the factory and could potentially be detrimental to lifespan of an drive if messed with it.

for example ii know for a fact that couple of seagate single platter models doesn't like and are really sensitive on parking the heads and come configured for not parking them at all from the factory and are configured that way in firmware,but support overriding that under windows and most people never turn off default setting to shut off disc after 20m idle so in year or two that discs have huge start/stop count and fail.on the other hand couple of 2,5" laptop low power and low current draw hdd's are really optimized for that so parking doesn't affect them.also,both acoustic and power management won't get you huge if any performance improvement if turned off,so like i've said,mess with that only if you have specific need for it.

sandungas likes this.
  9. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    I use 2.5 sATA II HDDs in a Sabrant USB 2.0 Enclosure. Its basically a plug and play HDD enclosure that you whack normel laptop HDDs in like the PS3's internal. As long as there is power to the USB cable it will never go into sleep mode... basically because it doesn't have one so the HDD is always spun up when the PS3 is powered on.

10. 6,001
    sandungas

I mean in general, the easyest setup for internal and exernal PS3 hdds is "always ready", and the noise reduction is a feature that is worthy to take a look incase the hdd have it disabled and supports it

Also, what i said about "this is something all us should get used" it was like thinking loud... you know there is lot of talks in forums about using exernal hdds or replacing PS3 internal hdd by other hdd models taken from laptops, or boughts new, etc... but nobody cares about the hdd bios settings... it looks like we are ignoring something important

11. 12,159
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

most hdd manufacturers have software to change their drives' settings, so you might look there. I don't know if there's a plugin or an app specifically for the ps3. I know the 360 has a plugin called hdd alive, which writes a small file to the hdd every few moments to keep it from going to sleep. and, the wii u has a special hdd menu to disable sleep for the hard drive connected to it.

like @Cypher_CG89 , I had been using only sabrent 2.0 enclosures (even bought another for an hdd I plan to use on the wii). I've never once had a sleep problem with any hdd I put into them.

Tags: