Progress of Live Area Manager+ aka LAM+ (P.O.C.)

Discussion in 'General PS VITA Discussion' started by atreyu187, Oct 27, 2016.

1. 5,909
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    images.jpg

So I have been working on a XMBM+ style mod for Vita users. ATM the PSTV doesn't have this multitasking menu but fret not folks!! That annoying "What's New" menu forced on most PSTV users can be used much the same way. Right now I have it working but ugly as I have no graphics just yet as I am having troubles getting it to pull images from the system and I have no server to host the files but fret not I am working away at this. Once I have something that is usable to most I will show off my POC.

As for Vita users I have gotten the multitasking menu to hold more then three apps/games. ATM mine has 5, one local HENkaku v4 server for my DEX shell to allow PSN access. One for HENkaku.xyz for using the auto overclock plugin, VPK Install to install any VPK, uri caller to pull up hidden system apps and functions like PKG manager. If you have DEX PKG manager you can install PKG right away but if you are still using CEX PKG installer you must be in IDU mode, but again fret not seems I may have a workaround to keep CEX PKG installer.

So thanks to @bitsbubba @DeViL303 and all the XMb modders out there for inspiring me to pursue this project and actually earn this dev badge given to me. And I have a little surprise for PSTV users about the multitasking menu, I may, just maybe able to bring this feature over to PSTV users. But here is where I need ideas from you guys. What apps would you all find useful? System or homebrew it doesn't matter. And does anyone with a server able to host a page of direct links to VPK files? They can be redirects and you don't have to host them.

• OK guys so you can get a feel of what I am doing. Basically a Vita-esque XMBM+ we have all grown to love. Right now it would have to be installed manually unless I can find a way to edit the SFO to install to ux0:/shell and there will be one for the Coriander a separate for the PSTV. The PSTV doesn't have this menu below

ISzz2cW (1)_1.jpg

Now this menu is the Vita equivalent of "What's New" on the PS3 again as below so you get an idea of what I am talking about. This was used by @DeViL303 to make the awesome webMAN Launchpad. He and another member of the XMBM+ team @bitsbubba inspired me to try to make one of these awesome mods for the Vita.

2407524-unnamed.jpg
      Now that being said the PS TV has a totally different menu for the "What's New" recommendations by Sony. I am going to attempt to add the multitasking menu to the PS TV but I'm not sure if this will work since it uses the same XML files. The menu I'm going to modify for the PS TV looks like the image below. And the great thing is it can actually hold more applications than the Vita's basic multitasking bar. Not only that it can add some visual Flair as well as get rid of those annoying PSN store style pop ups.

5713-767e285d144341484f6e8198e38485a2.jpg

I will keep this thread updated when I have something Worth showing or testing but for now I will leave you with a P.O.C. image of the Vita's multitasking menu modified.

2Al05FI.jpg

I hope this clears up any questions about what I'm trying to achieve and also spark some interest in this modification. Until then you can attempt your own mods by seeing this article @STLcardsWS combined for us. As the article States you can use official applications Homebrew retail games and even URI calls to open hidden applications and more. Until then have fun with HENkaku and please leave any suggestions here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
    pinky, Bereuza, DeViL303 and 2 others like this.
  2. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    Awesome news @atreyu & also the name looks familiar :)

atreyu187 and STLcardsWS like this.
  3. 5,909
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Got it from you but I have the What's New now displaying images and successfully pulling URI calls

STLcardsWS and bitsbubba like this.
  4. 7,670
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Cool idea. I can host small files like images and xmls on my server if that's what you need. If you send them to me I'll PM you the links, it will be like http://xmbmods.co/LAM/*.* or whatever you want for the folder names.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    STLcardsWS, bitsbubba and atreyu187 like this.
  5. 5,909
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Yea that would work fine as it only needs to pull the image once unless I update it. And I was hoping to host a single page with Uri calls and redirect links to vpk files. Nothing that would take up to much space

STLcardsWS and bitsbubba like this.
  6. 7,670
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

That would be fine, html page/xmls/images etc. If you arrange a "LAM+" folder the way you would like it laid out for some tests, then send it to me, I will upload it as it is to the server, then you will know what the links are by adding xmbmods.co to the beginning of the path.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    atreyu187, STLcardsWS and bitsbubba like this.
  7. 5,909
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Trying to figure out the best way of doing this. Some Uri calls can be done via the browser. But the good ones like PKG installer no longer work by simply clicking a link through the web browser. And I don't know how well if at all copy and paste works. When I get to that point I will get back with you this should leaves almost no bandwidth as just the PNG files the first time are needed.

STLcardsWS, DeViL303 and bitsbubba like this.
  8. 9,173
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Very cool idea and project .. I like what i have been seeing :)

atreyu187 likes this.
  9. 12,358
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@atreyu187 , ur knowledge of the vita never ceases to amaze me. ;)

STLcardsWS and atreyu187 like this.