PS Vita - Home and Power Buttons unresponsive

Discussion in 'General PS VITA Discussion' started by Cygnus, Aug 1, 2019.

1. 6
    Cygnus

Cygnus Forum Noob

Stella Artois Tester
    Hi All, I noticed that within the official firmware installation instructions it announces that the Home and Power buttons become non-responsive - has anyone else had issue where even after successful firmware update they are still not working?
    If I charge the unit up it powers on OK, buttons dont work and the unit fails to sleep so just runs until battery drains. It screams Firmware to me as even had the back off and manually shorted the pins on the power button board. so unlikely to be the button itself.
    I have even tried reapplying the firmware (Yes its the latest 3.71) Came to me with this on unfortunately

All help greatly appreciated.
    Rgds
    Cygnus

2. 1,677
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    I have a spare PCH-1104 OLED, that i keep as my guinea pig,since SKGleba IMC Unlock bricked the ability to detect memory cards,thus its on a memory card loop, its updated to the latest 3.71 and used mainly for remote play with the PS4, the buttons are in working other both POWER and HOME, i dont see any issue here, perhaps dirt or debris can be inside if you didnt clean the VITA for a long time,not to mention the Power Button in embeeded into the Main Motherboard,and the Home its on a separate pressure sensitive board, i suggest you to take the VITA appart and clean both boards and contacts with some 90% alcohol and a q-tip.

3. 6
    Cygnus

Cygnus Forum Noob

Stella Artois Tester
    OK Cool - I'll give it a try!
    Thanks

4. 6
    Cygnus

Cygnus Forum Noob

Stella Artois Tester
    OK, little more update after cleaning the buttons no change in the fault, however took apart again forgot to cable the Main cable to the left button board. Trigger cable and smaller ribbons were connected and the Power Button then works fine. So after recleaning the whole board still no change. I recabled all the connections on the left button board and the HOME and Power Button then again failed to respond. Had spares cables for the left button board but still no joy so looks like I have a Button Board failure. Replacement to be sourced and replace. Thanks to all for suggestions and help.
    Rgds
    Cygnus

5. 1
    Rsxtypes26

Rsxtypes26 Forum Noob

I bought a used Vita from a pawn shop last week that is exactly like yours. FW is 3.71 and it's a 1101 model. The home button wouldn't work and I couldn't use the power button at all. I had to use the home button to power up from sleep mode but then it would pop up with the power off and cancel option on its own, then it would restart if I held the home button. I cleaned everything with a small paint brush and isopropyl alcohol and no luck.

Solution: I ordered a new power button ribbon and it works perfectly. $7 for the part on eBay.

I looked all over online and only found one other page that made mention of the power button. But it works.

You can try playing with the power button ribbon by taking it out and putting it back in but it might only work temporarily.

6. 6
    Cygnus

Cygnus Forum Noob

Stella Artois Tester
    Thanks for the reply I found the fault with mine was indeed the Left button board - after replacing the board the Power Button and Home Buttons work fine and its functioning great! Now just hope there is a way to downgrade to allow to me to install a CFW.

7. 1,677
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    If you are on 3.68 or 3.70, you can use the H-Encore/Trinity Exploit, after that use Modoru to revert back to your desired firmware.

Disclaimer: Do not downgrade more than your PSVITA SKU supports, there is a minimum downgrade version, but all SKUs even the last batch are 3.60/3.65 Compatible,but check non the less.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

8. 6
    Cygnus

Cygnus Forum Noob

Stella Artois Tester
    HI thanks Naked_Snake1995 for the reply so Modoru should work even if I'm on the OFW 3.71? Just not sure the unit has ever been hacked before?
    Many thanks

9. 1,677
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    No, if is on 3.71,you will have to wait until a new exploit arrives, which the current ETA is unknown, since THE FLOW stopped working on H-Encore until 3.70, and made his code open source for anyone who wants to port or continue the project for the newer firmwares,so if you wish to have a exploitable PS VITA your only chance is to find a PSVITA for parts, like with a broken OLED Panel, or almost done for, but with a working motherboard that has firmware 3.70 or lower and preform a board-swap.

Be careful, on the OLED Models the 1000 WIFI variant IRS-001 board is different from the 1100 IRS-002 WIFI/3G board, and they are not interchangeable between models, you'll have to get the specific board for your specific model, being WIFI or WIFI/3G.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

10. 6
    Cygnus

Cygnus Forum Noob

Stella Artois Tester
    OK Thank you I did think might have been the case.
    Thank you for taking the time to explain.