ps1_newemu?

Discussion in 'PS1/PS2/PSP on PS3' started by mrjaredbeta, Jan 18, 2019.

1. 49
    mrjaredbeta

mrjaredbeta Member

Has anyone gotten ps1_newemu to boot? I swapped around the .selfs between ps1_emu and ps1_netemu and both give an error message after trying to boot a game with WMM. I saw that RPCS3 uses this emulator for PS1 emulation. I am curious if the loading speed in this emulator is snappier than the other two like the PS1 emulator for PSP is.

2. 1,498
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

You don't need to do that. wMM has a built in feature to allow the use of ps1_netemu instead of ps1_emu. You can do it via webMAN Setup:

[​IMG]

Hit save at the bottom of the screen afterwards and there you go; ps1_netemu will load for PS1 backups with webMAN MOD.

3. 49
    mrjaredbeta

mrjaredbeta Member

Oops, sorry...I wasn’t clear. I am talking about ps1_newemu, not ps1_netemu. It’s the third PS1 emulator in the ps1emu dev_flash folder. There’s no option in wMM for newemu and AFAIK there’s really no information online about newemu besides some hardcoded config info on psdevwiki and the RPCS3 progress article I found. I tried swapping newemu with both emu and netemu and neither could boot a game a tried. I’m curious as to why $ony decided to make a third PS1 emulator for PS3 and not give it any use.

4. 1,498
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Ah ok, I thought it was a typo because you mentioned it in the post
    I'm not aware of ps1_newemu being a usable emulator. ps1_netemu is the emulator used for official PS one Classics purchased from the PS Store. Maybe @sandungas might know more about ps1_newemu.self?

mrjaredbeta likes this.
  5. 6,439
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

For me ps1_newemu has been always something unknown, but as far i remember is not the third PS1 emu inside PS3 firmware
    It was the second, and it works as some kind of "expansion" for the ps1_emu, so it looks like both works together
    Is used when you insert a real PS1 disc in the BD drive (this feature works even in PS3 superslims, btw)

The other way to boot a PS1 game in PS3 is with the "PS1 classics" pkg format + ps1_netemu

Coldheart2236 and mrjaredbeta like this.
  6. 6,439
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Hmmm, maybe @kozarovv knows it...
    Im thinking maybe happens the same than with the PS2 emus, where there is an emu specific for the "PS2 backward compatible" PS3 models (named ps2_emu.self)
    And when they started removing the PS2 components from the PS3 motherboard they needed to make 2 different emus (ps2_gxemu.self, and ps2_softemu.self) because this emulators emulates more components of the virtual PS2

-----------
    With the PS1 emus maybe happened the same, because some parts of the PS1 emulation could have been made by the PS2 components !
    So... at the time they removed the PS2 components that was doing some PS1 emulation then they needed to rewrite the PS1 emulator to emulate more components of the PS1

/brainstorming off

Yugonibblit and mrjaredbeta like this.
  7. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

This might be interesting

and it adds the option of remote play games from PS3 to PSP / Vita and uses an external PSX bios (ps1_rom.bin). And i'm guessing the external bios is a combination of all 3 regions the original PSX bios versions were.

update: i was partially correct. Looked in to ps1_rom.bin, it contains an .elf and also references to ps1_emu.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019
    sandungas likes this.
  8. 12,374
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

one thing I've noticed about the ps3 firmware is that, instead of writing something off, a lot of times they leave the code in, then negate it.

9. 7,647
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    I did some research on this emu. It is best emu from the pack, but sadly we cannot launch it without external software. I have no idea why emu is there, as basic_plugins (file responsible for selecting emu) don't have option to launch it at all. Maybe we can rewrite part of asm to pass correct arguments for emu, then replace it with one of other emus. Actually here is space to add this functionality to managunz, in way that deank did it in multiman for other emus (also mm can be updated with that).

https://github.com/twinaphex/multim...81a9bc7d4901afb35bd/source/multiman.cpp#L4635
    Args are here: https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/blob...9b233befe7d6df4b24f/rpcs3/Emu/System.cpp#L911

Emu can be launched that way also using TM, but here i can't help.

Nah, IOP is emulated even in CECH-A, so they won't used any ps2 component. PS1 Emulation is pure software, but they had easier job because of using DECKARD power PC IOP in later PS2 slim models. They just ported emu from deckard to CELL. ;)

sandungas likes this.
  10. 158
    Omage

Omage Member

I rename ps1_newemu to ps1_netemu launch PS1 PBP work fine,
    but only test 1 game

mrjaredbeta, Zar and kozarovv like this.
  11. 7,647
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Lol, i tested everything excluding PBP. Haha spent 2 days trying to launch it in some normal way, but all attempts failed because i used ISO.

12. 49
    mrjaredbeta

mrjaredbeta Member

Hmm, after quick testing the loading times are the same...darn. I can’t really see any discernible differences between this and netemu. I wonder what other functionality this emulator has that differs from the others.

13. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

From the psdevwiki
    • Firmware 2.10:
      • Added ps1_newemu.self and ps1_rom.bin
      • Users can now play PS1 game discs on a PSP with remote play, PSP firmware version 3.50 or newer is required. (this feature was not announced).
      • Backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2 games was improved (Update was also unannounced but evident in Sony's backwards compatibility search site).
      • Note: since 2.10++ all PS1 emulators, ps1_emu.self, ps1_netemu.self, ps1_newemu.self uses the since then added ps1_rom.bin bios file. In earlier firmwares file was embed into every emulator self file. File ps1_rom.bin is exactly the same file that was previously embed in all PS1 emulators.
    • Firmware 4.00
      • New file ps1_rom.bin replaced old. New file is stripped from ps2 related functions. As a result file is 3565296 bytes smaller than previous version.
    I have a CFW and HAN console...For the CFW one i know how to switch between emulators, but do i need to use the .SELF replacer for the HAN console? or can i unlink the .self file and replace it with another one thru file copier?

Also regarding the loading times, i don't know (since i don't use it) whether the PS3 port of Retroarch has the Beetle PSX core...if so, that might be an interesting option to check out.

14. 158
    Omage

Omage Member

15. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

16. 1,347
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

If all that is required is an xml edit, you should be fine on han console
    If it requires modifying a self file....han is not an option atm AFAIK

I did read somewhere about one app being modified that was able to be used or something, but can't remember the details off hand