PS3 Ps2 COBRA emulation issues on PS3 CFW

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by vr6cer, Oct 20, 2018.

1. 78
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Hi Guys,

Maybe it's just me, but I would like to share some of my experience regarding Ps2 emulation on latest Rebug 4.82.2 CFW. The whole emulation works perfectly fine, I jave tried multiple games. Anyhow for unknown reason, the Need For Speed series is lagging way too much during gameplay. It is very choppy and seems like the system wanna crash. I created a backup from my Ps2 dvd copy and also tried multiple online backups but same symptomps everywhere: choppy, laggy gameplay. I also tried on different Ps3 system with same CFW and same settings, the results were same. Also an interesting fact: I found a copy of a Need For Speed Most Wanted 2005 Ps2 Alpha built. This backup works perfectly fine on Pcsx2 wmulator, but on Ps3 CFW Ps2 emulation, slightly after the Most Wanted logo l, bur before the press X or Start button to enter to main menu, the Ps3 conpletely freeze and onky with the On/Off button I am able to reset the system. Same symptoms on different Ps3 models. Any idea, experience guys, what am I doing wrong? Or NFS compatibility in CFW Ps3 during Ps2 emulation currently have this quality problems?

Thank you for your help!

2. 6,528
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Is a known problem, the Need For Speed games are laggy in the PS2 software emulator included in the PS3
    The emulator allows to use "config" files with comands inside them that are intended to change emulator settings, patch the game, hook functions of the game, etc...

But a lot of that commands are unknown, and by now nobody found how to make a config to reduce that lag in need for speed games. So by now you can forget about playing them in the PS2 software emu of PS3... there is hope that some day someone could find a way though

vr6cer likes this.
  3. 78
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Just a quick theory: what about a full hardware BC Ps3 with CFW with Cobra enabled? Same results will appear?

4. 6,528
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

If the PS3 have full PS2 backward compatibility (CECHA & CECHB only) the game will run like in a PS2
    For the PS3 models with partial PS2 backward compatibility (CECHC & CECHE only) i guess all PS2 games are supposed to run like in a real PS2, not sure though

And starting with CECHG (and all others PS3 models up to superslim) the PS2 emulation is made 100% by software

5. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i have cechc and rebug 4.82.2.i've forced via rebug toolbox software emu and since then i've noticed a little bit blurred image compared to how it was before and i have that annoying bug in SH2 and would like to go back to original partial emu.i can't find that option and when i try to toggle ps2 cobra or original mode it says 'no files on hdd or usb' or something like that...

so,only way to have it is to fully restore and reflash cfw or there's easier way?

6. 3,129
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    This is a massive pain to fix, I have tried all sorts of configs and settings, even random settings in the configs to try and get lucky and the one thing a can't get rid of is the screen blur at speed that makes the blur that's meant to be in the game irritating. Lag is near gone, only happens now at really high speed from time to time - NFS Underground 2, NFS Carbon Collectors Edition, NFS Most Wanted Black Edition.

Be careful, this is Piracy talk and against site rules and as a former Games Dev/Graphics Artist from the industry something I 100% hate and don't condone it in any way, shape or form. This as this is one of the main reasons games are so expensive these days.

You should be able to find configs readily made on the Internet without having to do this. You would then have to insert them into the ISO of your NFS game lol.

I am not releasing mine until I find a way to get rid of the screen blur, kind of annoying when your travelling at 200+mph and you get smashed off the road by a police rhino in Most Wanted because you couldn't see it properly or your drifting on Carbon at 150+mph in your Corvette and lose 8,000,000 points for one drift for tagging the wall by a whisker because you couldn't see it properly.

vr6cer likes this.