PS3 PS2 games black screen on B/C PS3

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by SeanRanklin, Oct 28, 2018.

1. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I have a strange video output problem when i play certain ps2 games on my Japanese PS3. Model CECHA00.

If we look at the list of games in the below Wikipedia link, basically, any game with a green YES box marked in the first column next to the game name, wont display after the initial loading/memory card screen. I know the game is running because i can cancel out of it with the PS button (navigating via muscle memory, as nothing displays on the screen) so its not actually frozen, it just wont output signal to my TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_alternative_display_modes

All the games i am playing on it are PAL region and worked fine with my CECHC PS3, but not this one. The only way i can get them to work, is IF they have progressive scan which can be toggled BEFORE the main game begins, i can turn this on and the signal will work, or more tediously, i must change the output display on XMB each time before i launch an affected game basically untick every option apart from 480p.

Has anyone else experienced this before and if so, is there a better remedy maybe with some CFW setting?

2. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I'm surprised that this appears to be an isolated issue around here -_-

3. 24
    tinostar91

tinostar91 Member

Disable the PS2 upscaling in settings.

4. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I've tried that, it does not make any difference.

5. 24
    tinostar91

tinostar91 Member

Then there's a possibility that your TV doesn't support 576p. If you use HDMI try Component cables or if possible, try another TV.

6. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Component cables work every time. I cant try another TV unfortunately. So this means my Sony Bravia does not suppert 576 pvia HDMi? What a very odd problem...

7. 18
    krug

krug Forum Noob

Yeah some tvs don't support 480p and/or 576p via hdmi, which is a shame because there are some widescreen patches for ps2 classics on ps3 that only seem to work with the upscaling turned off. I don't have a sony tv so i don't know if this can help, but sometimes you need to mess around some settings in the tv itself to fix some display issues. you could phone sony costumer service, maybe they can help

8. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Thats really silly. I guess my TV isnt compatible with 576p via HDMI for reasons i'll never understand. TV options are at a bare minimum for the TV i have, and i was not able to find anything that can alter this.

Thanks for your reply

krug likes this.