PS2/PS1 saves working on PS3?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by SeanRanklin, Sep 28, 2018.

1. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Does anyone know of how to get my existing PS1/PS2 save files extracted from my memory cards working on my PS3? I extracted them from a modded PS2 running mcboot.

2. 12,587
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

yes, with memory card rex and mymc. I have a tutorial on that.

3. 24
    tinostar91

tinostar91 Member

If you just copied the folders to USB the easiest way would be to plug it into your BC PS3, run wLaunchElf and copy them back.

4. 2,583
    Berion

Berion Developer

Saves is not enough precise term. Have You in mind: memory card images, exported saves (and in what form) or direct raw copy single saves?

PS3 emulators support only virtual memory card images. In case of PSX is *.VM1 (SBS copy, like most emulators ie *.mcr is exactly the same file "format"), in case of PS2 is *.VM2 (SBS copy but with ECC, i.e the same which PCSX2 using). Just make images on pendrive by Memory Card Annihilator v2.0.

If You talk about exported saves it depends on format and what You already lost. PSX saves aren't anyhow secured so You have very free hand to doing with them whatever You want. PS2 saves is often "protected" by time stamp which many formats loosing (so i.e don't listen @tinostar91). If You have access to modded/expoited PS2 and real memory cards and want export single saves, just use uLE and PSU export (in case of PS2 MC, in case of PSX is sufficient normal copy/paste). To inject them on PC use tools what @pinky mentioned.

BTW: Some PS2 emulators using encrypted memory cards so they are still SBS copies but encrypted. Someone wrote a python script to conversion but I forgot the name (You should find it in PS2 AIO).

Louis Garry likes this.
  5. 24
    tinostar91

tinostar91 Member

Not sure which games do that but it surely isn't being done "often", considering that I've copied 2 full memory cards that way and couldn't find even a single game that would complain.

6. 6,709
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I think what he meant is in ule you have several different ways to copy files
    There is one that copyes the files like normal files (like if you was copying something from a USB)
    And there is other that copyes the files + some metadata (related with security, not sure if is timestamp of "magic gate" security or whatever), this is the good way to copy saves from memory cards

Otherway, if you dont copy that "metadata" the save doesnt works, so i guess you copyed them in the good way

7. 12,587
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

yeah, iirc, it's .psu that you want for ps2 saves.

8. 24
    tinostar91

tinostar91 Member

I didn't psuPaste/mcPaste, just a regular copy and paste and they work fine. No game refuses to load the save, both on PS2 and PS3. Obviously I couldn't try every game on the PS2 and there can be some that do check the metadata, but it surely isn't a common occurrence.

9. 1,500
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

You could hunt down the legit sony memory card adapter for ps3 and use your cards on that.

10. 12,587
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I believe .cbs also works for converting to ps3 format; I really don't understand how you managed to get those saves to work, 'cause raw is only for psx saves, same way as if you were to use psx in psu format. in either case, the saves shouldn't work.

11. 2,583
    Berion

Berion Developer

Until You find this special title and reconsider why Dlanor have add mcPaste and later PsuPaste to the uLE. ;)
    I can't remember now but from my memory: GTA:SA (PAL).

- - -

@sandungas MCFS (file system on PS2 MC, instead to PSX MC which have not any) is similar to FAT, have support for attributes (half of them are unknown and never spotted to be part of any security) and time stamp support. Some game developers (ok, maybe it is not often occurrence) checking time stamp from mcfs and comparing it to timestamp wrote inside the save (because in those times all formats from cheat devices and homebrew doesn't preserve them and/or doesn't restore them and used those found i.e on FAT12/16/32 or read from internal clock (my guess, I don't remember now)). So some developers have got an idea to use timestamp as validation routine, making it part of save and using simple compare before load of the save. If they are not match, games tell to the user it is corrupted. Save also often have checksum security so it is not so easy to "fix" such save (but of course it is not hard too, as saves aren't compressed, xored, encrypted etc. or at least I don't know any of such saves).

@pinky I'm not sure if CBS (maybe I'm misleading with XPS... if CBS is CodeBreaker save type) is one of the safe format but MAX and PSU are for sure.

12. 12,587
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@Berion , I have cbs listed as working in my ps2 cobra tutorial, so I assume I tested it. if it doesn't work, I'm pretty sure there are apps to convert the saves to something recognizable by mymc. ;)

13. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I extracted them all through uLaunchELF or what ever its called form a modded pS2. They are pretty much all saved as 'files' (raw, im guessing)

14. 12,587
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

psx raw will have no extension. they'll be 8KBs or a multiple of that depending on number of blocks. psu copy and paste for ps2 games. I can't recall with psx saves, but ps2 saves will be folders if you copy and paste.

15. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Ah, thanks - i am going to follow your Tut's, just havent had much free time as of late - will have to bookmark them.

16. 12,587
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I tried messing with the save files a bit. I saved all folders, .psu, and .cbs versions of my saves. I actually saved them to four hdds. :-p I never tried to see what ps2, raw saves will do. they would need to be readable by mymc. if you try using a file format with psx saves, they'll be unrecognizable by the ps2 and most likely memory card rex. I made that mistake once while testing different save formats. however, I never went beyond psu and cbs when it comes to ps2 saves, and psx saves seem to fail unless they were in raw format.

17. 24
    tinostar91

tinostar91 Member

That indeed seems to be the case. Only the Platinum release, but still. Guess they didn't want people modifying their saves after Hot Coffee. So yeah, be on the safe side and don't just copy-paste, but if you do the chances are that it wouldn't really matter as was my case with 50 games.

18. 129
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I'm going to keep my eye out for this one. I tried the above tutorial with MYMC. The program recognises the PS2 saves, but when i copy the VM2 back to PS3 via Multiman, the system simply crashes each time it tries to access the VMcard.

With all the card readers on the launch model, it amazes me that they did not include a PS1/2 card slot. I'd have gladly taken that over that big bulky CF slot.

19. 12,587
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

did you name the memory card correctly? 'cause psx/ps2 memory card information is in the same file (metadata indexer) as game installs.

20. 2,583
    Berion

Berion Developer

Memory card name doesn't matter. Only extension does (must be *.VM2). Card must have ECC (MyMC as I remember exporting with ECC do they are compatible with PCSX2 and PS3; and BTW use Dual MyMC is newer code with some bugs fixed and new features added).

For new emus (those which uses digital releases, not physical discs), VMC must be encrypted and are in different dir than old (NOT inside "dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc/" but somewhere else (I don't remember now where, maybe inside game dir where empty template should be)).