PS2 PS2 Slim Internal HDD

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by ISAK.M, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    Nowadays I have switched from being into PS3 stuff to being into PS2, where my interest in console modding and exploiting stuff began.
    Whatever, my question is... Is it possible to connect a 2.5" HDD to a PS2 Slim?
    I cant find any tutorials or anything, just a few threads on other forums. I have found out that there is two things called HD ComBo and HD Connect. Is it possible to connect without those? I managed to find info on that aswell and I read in 1 thread that you had to solder 39!! points on the MB, is that true? Seems like alot...
    BTW it's a SATA HDD and it's a SCPH-77004 with FMCB 1.966 (Latest)

2. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

for that setup i'd go straight into remote storage.you don't need anything big or fancy,expensive NAS or anything,you could try to find even synology video player for like 20 bucks,stick that drive in and get it on your ethernet and you should be able to set it up.or you can get basically anything with sata port even really old atom based mini clients for dirt cheap just get one with gigabit ethernet.

or if you already have desktop or htpc that's running 24/7 or close to it you can just connect that drive,configure your LAN and you're good to go.

3. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    You mean to use SMB and have a HDD connected at all times with a small NAS computer or similar? I watched threads over at PS2-HOME that had done exactly that, replacing the DVD drive, but I don't wanna do that...
    I already have a NAS that has a 3.5" drive on 2TB in it (Its pretty old)
    Do you think maybe I could connect this 2.5" drive that I have to that NAS, expanding it's storage? Then connecting to the PS2?
    Or something like that idk

4. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I cant just connect directly soldering on the MB? LEVEL OF POOR IS INSANE so can't really buy something extra. If I have too I can actually buy a Raspberry Pi as I have been wanting one for like a year now, but haven't really had any reason or need for one as my Laptop can do the same things + more and better but now I got a reason to buy one and I am pretty sure you can connect a HDD to one of those + run SMB server.. Sooo...

5. 33
    TKBS

TKBS Forum Noob

Since the transfer speeds will be relatively close to each other (HDD vs Ethernet) [close enough to make 0 difference as the PS3 will not utilise the HDD 100mb/s+ speeds] and you already have a laptop.
    * Use an ethernet cable with PS2SMB and your laptop
    - The RPi idea is nice, i always wanted to try that, but it is just a needless expense.

and yes it is possible,
    Easiest (cheapest) method is simply buy a new HDD enclosure with Conversion for 2.5 - 3.5, literally a few bucks and maybe a cable extension or too.

Phat PS2 is better for HDD's though, Slim for Ethernet. less heat

Algol likes this.
  6. 670
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    On the PS2, Ethernet is much slower because of hardware limitations. It gets worse in the case of OPL because we aim to not use more memory than usual.
    But OP should still try and experiment. Just because the numbers suggest such a fact, does not mean that games cannot be enjoyable. Even if USB is used.

No, OP cannot connect a SATA HDD to a slim PS2. With the first slim PS2 model, it was possible to connect an ATA disk to it by soldering an 80-line ATA cable, since the full SPEED device (which includes the ATA interface) was still present. Sony eventually redesigned the IOP, removing that part.

From that point (SCPH-75000 and later), there existed some mods for adding a HDD interface, such as the HD Combo. However, it does not quite work as well because they usually only support PIO mode 4. The interface is also non-standard, so you can only use their software and OPL.

Algol likes this.
  7. 33
    TKBS

TKBS Forum Noob

Wow my bad, sorry if that sounded bad advice, but honestly in my experience i run all my PS2 games via ethernet cable and PS2SMB, since i see no difference on e.g.
    Unreal PS2 (SLES_500.74.Unreal Tournament) [a high speed FPS] i recommended that you will not notice a diff whilst playing

Note:
    the satas 2.5 HDD goes into a converter, use cables extended from within PS2 to the converter, it does work, but again, it is better suited to the Phat PS2 so you don't have to saw through plastic to accomadate the conversion process.

Algol likes this.
  8. 670
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    The game might not have needed much. Technically, PS2 games mostly came on CDs and DVDs, for which the CD/DVD drive did not offer very great transfer rates.

Parts of games that involve realtime operations such as video streaming, may be more serious affected by slower transfer rates.

Algol and TKBS like this.
  9. 717
    TnA

TnA Member

Just a little correction.
    HDcombo and HD-Connect were basically the same (and just tapping the available connections in an SCPH-70k), although one had a custom Chassis/case...

HDPro is the PIO-Supporting mod, that adds an IDE-Interface via a Modbo-version with a custom firmware! ;)

Algol and Fin9ersMcGee like this.
  10. 567
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    For years I tried to hack a slim to have HDD. Had the first slim model with that support, had bad soldering skills back then and never got it working.

Got a ps2 phat model and dug up an old IDE HDD from the attic lol. Best setup you can get with ps2. Honest, I messed with my slim for a loooong time with disc burning and OPL and SMB and USB.... Phat model is the way to go, if you can get your hands on one.

Trade in slim for phat maybe?

Algol likes this.
  11. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

in my personal experience slim on a network is not that worse than fat with hdd.

12. 567
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I don't disagree. SMB was better than USB for sure. But I couldn't justify having my PC on just to play games on Ps2... Especially when I could play ps2 games on my PC...

13. 717
    TnA

TnA Member

IMO, SMB works very well, as long as the setup (used hardware and software) is good.

Streaming doesn't work so good, if you use a WiFi-Bridge tho' (but the PS2 wasn't meant to be connected to these anyway).

Edit: ...and I am using the SMB-Feature with a NAS and test-wise with a Router (with SMB-Support and a USB-Connection), since before the feature went public. looool

So I only ever tested it on a PC, if I wanted to test a game quickly.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  14. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

you don't need to host files on your pc,you can offload all of it on some kind of remote storage,NAS...building remote storage is not that expensive,at least in my area prices for like synology video players that have internal sata and gigabit LAN are dirt cheap (and can do analog video pretty well) and also older thin clients are like 20-25 dollars (i've found one that even has the space for two 3,5" drives)...

although i also think that ps2 games especially on big modern displays are better emulated (slight bump in resolution with couple of nice soft filters look amazing) that really depends on what kind of display you want to play,and how much you want to play on original hardware.i personally want original ps2 hardware for my 4:3 crt,for all other of my displays i'm content with other solutions (ps3 for my 16:9 crt and pc emu for my OLED).