PS3 PS3 4.83 OFW Now Live - Beware changes impacting HAN users - stay tuned for more info

Discussion in 'PS3 News' started by montcer, Oct 10, 2018.

By montcer on Oct 10, 2018 at 9:20 PM
  1. 174
    montcer

montcer Member

BEWARE (Exploited PS3's) PlayStation firmware update 4.83 has just went Live, developer's from the PS3Xploit team have not had time to take a look at it yet since this has just been released (see update, devs are looking into it now and will update us here in this thread), This update could potentially be a patch for the PS3Xploit hacks (but they have not in a year which has been odd) or it could be a simple routine update for things such as the BluRay player. Developer's will look into this newly released update and we will keep us posted here in this thread. Its advised to stay on 4.82 until Ps3Xploit developer's verify the newly released Official firmware. Users and Ps3 Firmware Bot has confirmed the update is live.
    -STLcardsWS ​

Update:
    (See "Ps3Xploit Status" TAB below for latest reports on PS3Xploit Status)

ps3-system-software-update-two-column-01-ps3-eu-23mar15.png

• WARNING 4.83 PS3 Firmware is NOW LIVE
      PS4_4.83.png

Official Changelog via Sony:

New for 4.83
      • This system software update improves system performance.

• ps3xploit-logo.png
      Current Status for 4.83
      • PS3Xploit (for CFW enabled Console) - Do not update to 4.83 OFW (From 4.82 CFW you can update to a 4.83 CFW when available)
      • PS3Xploit HAN (for non CFW Compatible Consoles) - Do not update to 4.83, or you will lose various abilities of HAN

Official Ps3Xploit Response via @bguerville

RECOMMENDATION FROM PS3XPLOIT TEAM:
      FOR THE MOMENT, DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.83 UNLESS YOU HAVE DECIDED TO GIVE UP USING HAN PERMANENTLY ON THE CONSOLE.

After a look at the update files & preliminary tests, I am afraid I am bearing some bad news for HAN users playing online.

1. It would appear that [email protected] patched one of the 2 webkit exploits we currently use to trigger ROP chains.
      It means that we need to replace this exploit in order to get any ps3xploit tool working on 4.83. Work is already under way, obviously no ETA at this stage. Please don't ask.

The kernel is completely untouched. No changes to either lv1 or lv2 which means CFWs will be easier to make. That's also good news for devs with any promising kernel vulnerability under investigation.

3. Changes were made to vsh as usual & they seem extensive enough to suspect that they may have patched the HAN vulnerability as well. We have not yet had time to look into the matter at all but if they did, HAN might be gone for good past 4.82, leaving only CFW2OFW conversions installable & runnable on 4.83 whenever the patched webkit exploit gets replaced.

In conclusion, the changes brought by the 4.83 update mean that anyone updating will lose usage of HAN, and possibly permanently until a kernel exploit comes out. Cfw2ofw conversions will be the only installed games that will still be working after updating.

The nature of this update is upsetting our 4.0 release plans somewhat. It's still very early stages in our investigations & there are still many unanswered questions for the moment. I will keep you all posted whenever I have additional information to share.

• PS3_4.83_CFW.jpg
      As 4.83 releases (CFW / Homebrew / Tools) are made , we will keep this linked thread below updated:

Do not update to 4.83 or you could lose the ability to exploit your PS3

Source: playstation.com / twitter.com/PS3FWBot
    (Thanks to montcer for the Alert in the forum :) )​

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
    howainy, Orbital, blakluv69 and 15 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PS3 News' started by montcer, Oct 10, 2018.

1. jneutrino
      jneutrino
      I will try tomorrow.
      benfrost94 likes this.
    2. Zazenora
      Zazenora
      I've modded a few Wii consoles for people before with written instructions and warnings, as well as verbal warnings on what to do should they be prompted to update... Twice I had to fix the mod in the same day for 2 people because they had loaded a game and kept pressing buttons to try to skip through the intros on games, unintentionally starting an update.

The point is some people can, and do update their exploited consoles occasionally :[
    3. nazareno
      nazareno
      a friend of a friend of mine update to 4.83 with han, the activator does not work anymore, the cases lately of ban con han are not coincidence.
      benfrost94, STLcardsWS and Zazenora like this.
    4. Zazenora
      Zazenora
      I agree with you, I wasn't trying to say we were experiencing a ban wave, but I did mean to compare the recent (possible) uptick in ban reports recently followed by an update.
      STLcardsWS likes this.
    5. STLcardsWS
      STLcardsWS
      If that is the case then someone please provide a valid answer that explains this...
      Why would they waste there time with a ban wave on han if they could of just pushed the patch....

Could be a simple solution if not working. have to wait for ps3xploit team to take a look and see what has been done .. They will let us know ASAP the changes and what they can do from there.

Thanks for the report.
      sandungas and esc0rtd3w like this.
    6. Zazenora
      Zazenora
      Probably trying to cut down on their losses should this be the case... That, or just because they can. :[ Banning a few people won't prevent potential revenue losses for them however...
    7. Bloodmoons366466
      Bloodmoons366466
      Well damn,thats unfortunate.Is the latest rebug able to go online with the 4.83 update,or is it blocked from psn aswell?
    8. Alph
      Alph
      Remember, once you update/reinstall a firmware, HAN is erased. Since your friends/yourselves already updated... why won't you try installing HAN again? Or have you/your friends already tried reinstalling HAN?
    9. esc0rtd3w
      esc0rtd3w
      4.83 does break stuff...therefore you SHOULD NOT UPDATE as stated in OP if you want to keep modifications, in the foreseeable future
      benfrost94, Zazenora, cygmon0 and 2 others like this.
    10. montcer
      montcer
      Thanks for the update, esc0rtd3w!

Now, to wait and see if a turn around can be find to work with 4.83
      esc0rtd3w likes this.
    11. 1986panzi1986
      1986panzi1986
      can i downgrade with e3 flasher?
      blakluv69 likes this.
    12. D3XZU3LA
      D3XZU3LA
      let's hope and it's not the end of this xploit :( ...
    13. esc0rtd3w
      esc0rtd3w
      of course, as long as you have a compatible system. i would make a 4.82 backup
      blakluv69 likes this.
    14. 1986panzi1986
      1986panzi1986
      oky thanks. waitin for backup

Sent from my SM-C5010 using Tapatalk
      esc0rtd3w likes this.
    15. Scorpion355
      Scorpion355
      We all knew that the day would come for us to see the new 4.83, hopefully they didn't patch anything and it's just a Bluray drive update.
      Louis Garry likes this.
    16. Mazen
      Mazen
      do you made the update and checked if han is working or not and by the way what are bluray drive updates benfits
    17. Agoni212
      Agoni212
      This update is likely going to curb any attempt to use a pirated PlayStation 3 online since Sony has done it in the past as well
      blakluv69 likes this.
    18. Scorpion355
      Scorpion355
      Bluray updates are related to encryption keys refreshing, this is due to the newest bluray formatted movies, their encryption key are up to date, and so must be the ps3's in order for it to run them. I haven't updated, and probably won't until we get some news from the developers, but i remember someone saying that they weren't able to enable han after updating to 4.83
    19. sandungas
      sandungas
      Btw, for the newcomers, dont expect HAN 4.83 and cfw's ready for tomorrow, this weekend, or even the next week
      Now is time to wait and take a look at the new firmware to see what changed, but be patient, and forget about "playing online tonight/tomorrow/etc..."

/me fits the antiflood ninja suit :banana:
      Zazenora, cygmon0, mr_ota and 3 others like this.
    20. Scorpion355
      Scorpion355
      PS3's game servers are slowly shutting down anyway, recently PlayStation ALL stars shut their servers down, as well as Twisted metal if I'm not mistaking. The only benefit from PS3's online is probably Netflix and YouTube.
      blakluv69 likes this.
    Tags: