Ps3 BC and Ps1 Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Proxy, Dec 7, 2019.

1. 3
    Proxy

Proxy Forum Noob

Hello guys,

I will make it Quick.. I made my first Ps3 flash and I understand most of the stuff but there are two questions I can't find anywhere.

1. How do I force Ps1 games to widescreen? Fullscreen does nothing at all except the terrible smoothing.
    2. Talking Backwards compatibility HW and CFW, if I install ps2 games as PKG on intern HDD, would that apply for backwards compatibility or it would run from CFW emulator?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I don't think you.can. I've even tried manipulating the image from a real ps2 with the framemeister, and it still shows black bars. you can get it to cover the entire screen with zoom, so you may have an option with your tv to fill the screen. it's an option with the framemeister. I'm assuming that full screen on a ps2 and a ps2 game on the ps3's full screen will be the same.

also, I've seen this on the nes classic with retroarch. nes won't fill the whole screen. there's like dead space on the left of the screen, which is also present on the wii u with vc games, so it must be some limitation. the aspect ratio of snes games on the snes classic does fill the screen (and without zoom).

on my tv, I usually have "just scan" for video. it's better than 16x9 (at least for me). I have an hdmi dongle projecting my pc's image on to my tv screen. 16x9 will have the edges cut off, but "just scan" is perfect.

Proxy likes this.
  3. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

here's how a real ps2 and the framemeister look:

[​IMG]

I'm using full screen from options, which makes the window a little bigger. I'm assuming that the options for ps2 mirror those from the actual system, but I don't play around with the ps2 too much. my tv doesn't support 240p, so psx and back don't work without the framemeister. the mega man collections' menus are in 480p, but the games are not upscaled, so they're still 240p with a ps2 game. the mega man 6 image from above is at 1080p.

edit: I forgot to mention that you can manipulate the aspect ratio with the framemeister, but it still will not fill the screen if that's what you're after.

Proxy likes this.
  4. 3
    Proxy

Proxy Forum Noob

Thank you very much for your answer and the time you put into this response!

I kinda figured it would have to be like that on ps1 or ps2 however I didn't expect it to be same case for ps3. But I kinda figured something out, I of course have (just this month purchased new tv OLED55C9) "just scan" but I was quite satisfied when I found out how to make custom zoom which perfectly fit the screen when the bars weren't cut. Looks just perfect, now depends if I can somehow manage it to make it automatically set on point when playing games. Will take some time to figure it out. And thanks for heads up. I've heard of framemeister once and now I get real tip from someone who understands. I suppose you were right it mirrors it, however it looks clean. I am still looking for the answer for the second one. But it's quite complicated question so I kinda doubt anyone will answer that one. Anyway, thanks for everything and have a nice day!

Cheers!