PS3 - Best program to convert to ISO

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Zwei, Jan 1, 2019.

1. 416
    Zwei

Zwei Member

PS3 ISO TOOLS V2.2
    genps3iso_v2.0
    PS3-ISO-Rebuilder

list above
    Use CFW REBUG 4.82.2 REX
    I would like to know the best program to convert PS3 games to ISO?

2. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i had bad luck with everything other than built in iso creator in irisman.yes,i know is tedious to first copy folder type games to internal hdd,then create iso,then copy iso to desired destinantion (usually external hdd) but once done you'll have 100 percent reliable backups.all other tools have had bad iso's in my experience,isrissman method is 100 percent reliable.

T.A.U and sandungas like this.
  3. 5,449
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Long story short...

In PC
    Use rudi rastelli PS2 ISO tools v2.2 and inside it always choose makeps3iso (never genps3iso)
    But there is a problem in this version, im just going to give you a link, read posts 19, 21, 22, and 23 where aldo and rudi was talking with each other
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-iso-tools-by-rudi-rastelli.403/page-2#post-37800

What you need to do is to download this:
    https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_aplicacion-iris-manager-v3-00_1862716
    https://www.mediafire.com/download/6aaxaopj33jat4k/irismanager-4-x.rar

Extract the contents of file PC_ps3iso_utilities_with_src_v1.9.zip and replace the .exe inside rudi rastelli PS2 ISO tools v2.2
    This version of makeps3iso have a "bugfix" that affected a few games... and after this fix nobody have reported any other bug, so at this point it can be labeled as "final version"
    Also, makeps3iso is the only full open source ISO tool for PS3... just if you had some doubt which one to choose, this tool can be updated if at some point someone report a bug (but at this point doesnt seems to have bugs, sooo not probable because not needed)

In PS3
    Use irisman, this one was easy to answer :)
    Irisman is the only backup manager that uses internally the same source code of makeps3iso

So what you said is right @umart666 the method you are using to create a PS3 ISO should be 100% compatible with the PS3 game library, but try it in PC the resulting ISO should be the same if you use makeps3iso.exe
    Also, this ISOs generated by makeps3iso can be "burned" in a BD-R (in the latest cobra versions there are patches that allows to load PS3 backups from burned optical discs)

--------------
    The ISOs generated by genps3iso are going to work in lets say... 99% of the times
    This is because the ISO format generated by genps3iso is not compatible with a few games, are very few so you are going to find people telling you that genps3iso is 100% relliable... but this is "based in his experience" because they have not "hitted" with this few incompatible games

Also, the ISOs generated by genps3iso v2.5 are not compatibles with the loading method from an optical BD-R disc. If you burn this ISOs to a disc is not going to work
    As far i remember, this was caused by some change that happened in the last versions of genps3iso... but in older versions of genps3iso works
    Anyway... why worry about genps3iso problems ?... just forget about it, makeps3iso is better :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  4. 416
    Zwei

Zwei Member

Thanks for the tip
    I took a print
    see if I did it correctly
    https://a.imagem.app/lDoOr.png
    Convert an ISO to test and the PS3UPDAT.PUP file disappeared

5. 5,449
    sandungas

Yes is fine that way, but the only files needed to overwrite was the 3 .exe files

And the removal of the PS3UPDAT.PUP i dont remember if is made by makeps3iso or by ps3 iso tools GUI
    Is the firmware installer of the same firmware version required by the game to run, is better to remove it because you dont need it (your firmware is a higher version) and for safety reasons (people was installing it by mistake)
    So dont worry, is something normal to remove it

Also, by removing it the ISO is 256mb smaller

T.A.U and Zwei like this.
  6. 1,162
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

There is a check box in the GUI prior to creating the ISO, to exclude the PS3_UPDATE folder from the ISO.

T.A.U, sandungas and Zwei like this.
  7. 416
    Zwei

Zwei Member

the program deleted without me dialing
    I did the test marking the box and without marking the result is without the file
    http://picresize.com/images/tsem_título.png

T.A.U likes this.
  8. 289
    complexusername

complexusername Member

IT Consultant
    Thank you for the info on Irisman and makeps3iso. Does Irisman also properly create PS2/PSX backups? (ISO for PS2 & BIN+CUE for PSX). I never looked into using my PS3 to backup my PS2/PSX games.

T.A.U and Zwei like this.
  9. 1,162
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

I manually deleted the PS3_UPDATE folder after converting to folder format using multiMAN - and then converting to ISO using the tool - so I have not been able to test this for myself. However, as sandungas says, you're saving ~256MB in the final ISO, of which is out of date firmware that was shipped with the game disc. You simply do not need that folder or the PS3UPDAT.PUP within it.

However, if you're interested in further streamlining your finished ISOs, I'd recommend reading sandungas' "butchery" method. :)

T.A.U, sandungas and Zwei like this.
  10. 416
    Zwei

Zwei Member

I do not need it, I'm already satisfied
    thank you all

11. 1,162
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Pleased that you got it working in the end. I take it that your finished ISOs are mounting and playing correctly on PS3?

Zwei likes this.
  12. 5,449
    sandungas

In some games is something that you will do at some point, the first thing i do is to take a look at the game files... at this point it can happen to find some files that are obviouslly uneeded
    Like in the example i explained in the other thread, it can happen that you find a file named german.bin (and some more for other languages), with size 1gb each

usually the audio for every language is around that size, in euro game releases there are 5 languages (english, german, italian, french, spanish)
    So by removing 4 files you are reducing the game size in 4gb... is a lot

In other games is not so easy though, because the audio files are packed in different ways, but in general all games follows that rules of sizes, 1gb of audio for each language

T.A.U, Zwei and Coldheart2236 like this.
  13. 2
    Walter Wendhausen Neto

Walter Wendhausen Neto Forum Noob

Is there a way to compile the iso maker for armhf to run on raspbian?
    I use a raspberry to serve games to ps3 by ps3netsrv, so no external hdd on ps3, I just torrent, uncompress on GAMES folder and thats it.. but, there are too much files in JB, so I send them to ps3 for iso creation and get it back on raspberry.. it takes like a day to end the task...
    It would be perfect if I could build the iso from raspberry using cli or even gui.

14. 5,449
    sandungas

15. 2
    Walter Wendhausen Neto

Walter Wendhausen Neto Forum Noob

In fact I did it yesterday, the code needs ajustment but I'm not a developer, so I am not capable of rewrite the code for linux, I was reading the code and I saw it is made for windows, if anyone capable of rewrite the code read this I appreciate the help

16. 28
    bucanero

bucanero Forum Noob

Home Page:
    Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but I was looking to build my PS3 ISOs on macOS (I was already using the great built-in option on Irisman) , and the only tools I could find were for Windows.

So I found this message and the link to the ps3iso utilities source code from Estwald/Hermes and I went ahead and made a few small changes and compiled those on macOS Mojave (10.14.5).

In case someone else is in a similar situation, I uploaded the source code and macOS binaries (x86 64) to GitHub:
    https://github.com/bucanero/ps3iso-utils

cheers!

Razias_Shadow and sandungas like this.
  17. 28
    bucanero

bucanero Forum Noob

Home Page:
    Regarding the PS3UPDAT.PUP file issue, at least on the makeps3iso.c source code I've found there's a hard-coded flag that skips the update file: #define NOPS3_UPDATE 1
    https://github.com/bucanero/ps3iso-...f423f98e88edb3ffb/makeps3iso/makeps3iso.c#L30

So, unless somebody compiles another version without the flag (or changes the code to make it a command line parameter), the update file will always be removed from the generated ISO, no matter what you select in a front-end tool.

jcorrea likes this.
  18. 2
    Razias_Shadow

Razias_Shadow Forum Noob

This is fantastic and exactly what I've been looking for. Managed to do everything with my PS3 on Mac OS and this is the last piece I needed.

Cheers!

bucanero likes this.
  19. 28
    bucanero

bucanero Forum Noob

Home Page:
    that's great, I'm happy to hear it worked for another user too! :cool2: