PS3 PS3 CECHL01 turns off randomly in certain games!

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by SiegHart93, Oct 3, 2019.

1. 81
    SiegHart93

SiegHart93 Member

Hello , im having a problem with my ps3 fat cechl01 when i try to play 2 games that are bioshock infinite and star wars the force unleashed 2 (blu-ray discs). i always run control fan utility at max and the temps are 55º for the cell and 40º for the rsx, i think these temps are normal for a fat ps3 but when i try to play any of those games my ps3 randomly turns off with the 3 beeps and the red led blinking. idk whats causing this problem. can anyone help me ? i can play any other games normaly without any problem even for 10 hours

im running rebug rex cex 4.84.2 and i have 1tb hdd 5400rpm. i've cleaned my ps3 1 month ago and changed the thermal paste. thanks in advance

ChuckyPlague likes this.
  2. 1,774
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    To answer you questions easy and without hassle - NEC/TOKIN Capacitors.

Replace thoes with Tantalum, and your console will return in full working condition.

Make sure you are confident and have proper soldering skills.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

SiegHart93 and Filipe Santos like this.
  3. 81
    SiegHart93

SiegHart93 Member

So the real problem are these chips NEC/TOKIN that are near the rsx gpu and the cell cpu ! omg dude im not good at soldering things. Better im gonna try to find a technician expert in ps3 repair. Its good to know that is not a problem with the cpu or the gpu. Thanks for the info @Naked_Snake1995

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  4. 13
    Self

Self Member

House builder
    Home Page:
    First I am hearing about anything with those caps but then again I have been out of the scene for a bit due to life issues and bullshyt. What thermal paste did you use? Did you also replace the thermal pads? I could be a number of things contributing to the one issue. Gonna have to do some research on the cap issue now that it's been mentioned though. Literally just got done fixing an L01 and it's working fine thus far.

5. 1,774
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I wouldn't call them "Chips" that's the misconception, they are simply Capacitors that feed the GPU and the CPU, they are known for they High Failure Rate, TOSHIBA laptop until 2009 also used them, ive experienced first hand.

If they fail to provide the necessary juice to the CPU/GPU the machine will simply turn off, you are lucky that your Capacitors are partially damaged, so replacing two NECs on the RSX should be enough, on the XMB the workload its minimal, but as soon as you boot a Game, the RSX workload increases, and if the Capacitors doesn't meet the RSX Demands, there goes your console, in short YLOD,but it will turn on fine regardless.

Algol likes this.
  6. 13
    Self

Self Member

House builder
    Home Page:
    How often have you heard of these failing? I realize that 90% of YLoD is CPU/GPU related but I have had a few systems I reballed and still got the light. So now its making me wonder if they're the cause and not the chips themselves. I'll have to open up a board and check to see the locations since googling just seems like more work than needed. Lol. Are they like electrolytic caps where they bubble up when they go bad or is it a matter of pulling them off the board and checking output with a meter?

7. 81
    SiegHart93

SiegHart93 Member

If i replace all NEC/TOKIN capacitors there will not be any problems ? i want to replace all of them to avoid any failure in the future. Or maybe i better sell this ps3 and go for a slim if i cant find any good technician

8. 1,774
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    No need to replace them all, in your case, just replace the top ones where the CPU/GPU aren't present, on top its were most of the heat is concentrated, so they will be killed off with heat.

Algol and SiegHart93 like this.
  9. 1,774
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    If you pull them of the board, you'll have to do it with a rework station, the funny thing is if you blow hot air into them on a YLOD machine, the unit will miraculously turn on, even just with the hair dryer.

10. 40
    ChuckyPlague

ChuckyPlague PSX-Place Supporter

Hmm that's interesting never had that issue with my CHECHL01 I hope you get to fix it!

SiegHart93 likes this.
  11. 81
    SiegHart93

SiegHart93 Member

the ones that are in the other side of the mobo in where the rsx and the cell are not visible ? so these two are the problem well thanks bro. im gonna buy the replacements and call a technician to do that work. Also another last question this ps3 cechl01 have a 15 blade fan and i want to replace it for the 19 blade fan that came with the original ps3 cecha01 is it good to replace it or a bad idea ?

ChuckyPlague likes this.
  12. 81
    SiegHart93

SiegHart93 Member

this unit had ylod 5 years ago but i sent it to a technician that reballed it for 50 bucks and its working fine since that. the good thing is that i have cfw with control fan that helps too much because the cell cpu tends to overheat a lot fast even in xmb without fan control active, the rsx works pretty well without any overheat issue thats very interesting. i never thought that a ylod will appear because those capacitors nec/tokin too thats new to me. i always thought that ylod problems are always related to rsx/cell chips xD

13. 1,774
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Not a bad, neither a good idea, its just another usless theory without any actual proof.

Both the 15 and 19 blade fans are great, but the 15 its quieter than the 19 blade one, due to the longer blades, plus the 19 blade fan is more of a power hog, not to mention 15 Blades Fan are much higher quality than the 19 one, but they won't make a difference.

I am running a 19 Blade OEM on my 60Gb,also had a 15 blade fan before, temperature wise there are no difference.

14. 81
    SiegHart93

SiegHart93 Member

ok thanks bro !