PS3 CFW - PS2 Classic ???

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by efiste2, Aug 10, 2019.

1. 17
    efiste2

efiste2 Forum Noob

Apologies for my nievity, but I have seen a couple of posts about converting PS2 games to "PS2 classic" format so that they run on a CFW PS3. Does this mean that I can now run PS2 games on my own CFW PS3 (slim model). Again I apologise for my lack of knowledge, but being able to play some of my fave PS2 games on the PS3 would be great, I realise not all PS2 games will work, as my all time favourite STUNTMAN doesnt work. Thanks for any advice

2. 8,727
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

if you have CFW such as a Cobra CFW you can easily just play your PS2 ISO's without converting to a PS2 Classic format.
    At first we relyed on PS2 Classic conversion but with time it has become easier and compatability has improved (with Confg files) webMAn MOD and ManaGunZ are the best choices for launching PS2 ISO's on CFW.

I do not know about stuntman game itself but there is a Compatibility thread with various info and links..
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/compatibility-list-ps2-on-ps3.1306/
    (list at ps3devwiki is most upto date, link is seen in first post)

Algol likes this.
  3. 157
    VTSTech

VTSTech Member

Last CFW PS3 I had it would play the plain regular iso just fine from /dev_hdd0/PS2iSO/ no converting/encrypting needed. 1:1 backup

Used WebMAN Mod to mount/manage backups.

(REBUG 4.84)

Algol likes this.
  4. 1,368
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    With CFW there is no need for PS2 Classic Conversion, Cobra Payload takes care of it, just put your PS2 Titles on HDD0/PS2ISO, and load the title via Webman or Multiman.

Regarding Stuntman, it only works flawlessly on the CECHA/B models, and on CECHC/E during the Whoopin & Hollerin Chase the AI is corrupted, meaning it crashes, making the career progression impossible, plus the Menus dont work properly, but you can navigate on them if you go blindly, and sometimes the HUD is corrupted for a brief second, this is mostly due to Bad EE Emulation, and so far i haven't seen a fix for it, on NON-BC Consoles, its all the issues mentioned before, plus terrible framerate and screen shaking. I love that game to death, is terrifically fun, shame it doesn't work properly at least on the Partial BC Machines, so playing it on a Original PlayStation2 is your only option.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Algol likes this.
  5. 17
    efiste2

efiste2 Forum Noob

Again, Thanks for the advice chaps. very much appreciated. I have an original PS2 simply to play Stuntman on. Thanks again

6. 256
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Are config files inbuilt in wmm/managunz? Does wmm/managunz automatically load config files when loading PS2 ISOs? Or do we have to find config files separately for PS2 Classics?

7. 5,048
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

In ManaGunZ you need to open the game setings (wth triangle button), then open the config editor (is a menu at full screen)
    In it you can see at top the kind of configs availables for that game: GX, SOFT, NET, CUSTOM
    By clicking in them the config is loaded into the editor (you will see how the checkboxes and the info at bottom fills)

The key concept you need to have in mind at all times when managing PS2 configs in ManaGunZ is the "actual" config is the one located next to the ISO

You know... if you "load" the actual config is going to load the one next to the ISO
    And when you "save" it is going to copy the config next to the ISO (overriting the previous incase it existed)

Algol likes this.
  8. 256
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

So i tried PS2 games KOF2002 on PS3 webman. Game starts just fine. But suddenly audio goes out while playing and doesn't come back. I have reload the game to get the audio back. I guess these are compatibility issues as expected from non BC PS3.

9. 1,368
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Yes, they are expected on a title to title basis, you´ll have to remember this Emulator wasnt a replacement for the absent PlayStation2 Hardware,but rather a freshly developed Emulator to accomodate a few hand picked PlayStation2 titles, so no testing was made beyond what Sony offers you on the PlayStation Network as PS2 Classics, so incompatibilities are to be expected.