PS3 Degrade over time

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by SR4NK4R, Jan 5, 2020.

1. 41
    SR4NK4R

SR4NK4R Forum Noob

Does a ps3 console degrade over time?, when its sitting in a closet to use it when one of my ps3 fails.
    I've 5 systems as backup but if it degrades it is not worth owning that many.....
    Also another question how many ps3s do you guys have?

2. 41
    SR4NK4R

SR4NK4R Forum Noob

I like to have a working ps3 after 10+ years

3. 2,422
    Berion

Berion Developer

Everything in entire universe degrading. One day even protons will split spontaneously into quarks. ;)

The only thing which You should afraid is NOR/NAND Flash which will probably not survive near 20 years without use. HDD will start to fail with ball-bearing lubricant decaying. ODD will start failing when cogs getting dust, and rubber decay, not to mention laser itself will be weaker and weaker. Rubber on DS3 start be soaking from decomposing. BGA start "ungluing" balls because of tin oxidize. etc. etc. Modern consoles are piece of junk.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  4. 41
    SR4NK4R

SR4NK4R Forum Noob

Thanks for fast reply im thinking to sell 3 them.. 2 systems is enough for me after i realize it now

5. 41
    SR4NK4R

SR4NK4R Forum Noob

Another quick question.
    I have a Cech 2504b so i heard that it has a integrated bluray/disc drive so if that breaks/fails it doesn't affect homebrew or games right?

6. 112
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

Are you talking about the daughter board being integrated? Yes, everything past the 25XX onward has no DB.

As far as the belts drying out in the Blu-ray drives I don't think that's really a problem on most of the models since they're gear driven not belt driven. (The gears can still snap over long periods of time though.) Your best bet for a PS3 that's going to be working for the longest amount of time is a Japanese 43XX model since those were manufactured up until like 2017, they have no DB, they have the smallest nm GPU and CPU, and both are well cooled, they have no gears or belts for the Blu-ray drive (since its a top loader), the Blu-ray drive is also fairly easy to repair and requires little work to tear down. The HDD can be replaced with an SSD but the NAND will still degrade over time.

Tags: